Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 6:09 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Another Fun One: You know youve been in NZ too long when....

1. you buy cat foot from a chiller cabinet and think it looks tasty
  2. kumara is a must on your roast
  3. you say 'capsicums' instead of peppers
  4. you stop looking at wine labels, you just go for the special offers
  5. you expect to see Father Christmas in speedoes or boarders
  6. you get yourself a trademe id - and even the crap starts to look good
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
You catch yourself saying Yis instead of Yes.
The chocolate starts tasting normal
LOL....totally agree!!

....and you dont mind that somebody has dented your car.... everybody elses car is covered in scratches and dents anyway.

Horsey info..... you call a Trailor a Float, a Lorry Box is now a Truck and a horse Rug is called a Cover.

...and all the time youre singing all the adverts from TV that are played a thousand times a day...."the Warehouse, the Warehouse..... where everyone gets a bargain!!"
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:32 am
livewire

When you listen to a commentary or voice-over and you can't quite work out if it's a NZ or an English accent............when you ask the kids to help you unload the trundler..............when if feels very strange to say the word "pound"...........when I couldn't remember the UK equivalent of a Code of Compliance............when you hear NZ place names and you know where they all are.

Still can't get the hand of wiring up a NZ plug though, it takes me for sodding ever .

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
1. When things are " sweet as " or " good as gold "
2. Your only foot wear are gum boots and jandals
3. You think about buying a ute
4. You have a opinion on the " Falcon vs Holden " arguement

Well if it wernt for your gum boots where would ya be!
KAZ
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:27 pm

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Well if it wernt for your gum boots where would ya be!
KAZ
In the hospital or infirmiry.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:20 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
When you listen to a commentary or voice-over and you can't quite work out if it's a NZ or an English accent............when you ask the kids to help you unload the trundler..............when if feels very strange to say the word "pound"...........when I couldn't remember the UK equivalent of a Code of Compliance............when you hear NZ place names and you know where they all are.

Still can't get the hand of wiring up a NZ plug though, it takes me for sodding ever .
Have had such a laugh reading this forum but for the life of me cant figure out what you mean when you say "trundler"......thats the only thing in this entire post that Im not familiar with & thats coming from a 40 plus aged Kiwi
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 8:54 pm
livewire

shopping cart / supermarket trolley.

I'd never heard of a trundler before I came here

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 9:01 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

shopping cart / supermarket trolley.

I'd never heard of a trundler before I came here
Ok so that clears that one up for me, they were always called trolleys or carts when I lived there..guess times are changing huh
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:04 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

When you recognise who Fred Dagg is
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
When you recognise who Fred Dagg is
Fred Dagg???? New one on me, who on earth is Fred Dagg????

I know what a Dag is, any similarity????
Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:17 am
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough

Read this somewhere, it's how Kiwis sound to me.
New Zealand speak:

Milbun - capitol of Victoria, Australia
Peck - to fill a suitcase
Pissed aside - bug spray
pigs - for hanging clothes on the clothesline
nin tin dough - computer game
munner stroney - type of soup
min - males of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mckennock - person who fixes cars
mere - mayor
leather - foam obtained from soap
lift - departed
kittle crusps - potato chips
dick - wooden patio attached to house
jumbo - pet name for someone called Jim
jungle bills - christmas song
inner me - enemy
guess - vapor
fush - marine animals as in "fush & chups" (fish & chips, lol)
fitter cheney - pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mixture of nitrogen & oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualize
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - bitten by an insect
iggs eckly - precisely
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
beers - large savage animals
sex - one less than seven
beggage chucken - place to leave your luggage
tata - hard deposit on tooth enamel
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:32 am
turkeytickler

me too - i thought i was the only one!!

Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:33 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by shepslady
Ok so that clears that one up for me, they were always called trolleys or carts when I lived there..guess times are changing huh
My local Countdown has a big sign for the "trundler Park" :-)

Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:48 am
livewire

Glad I'm not the only one that finds wiring a plug such an ordeal - you need at least 3 hands - one to hold the plug, another to fiddle the wire between those 2 little plates and one for the screw-driver.

Trundler souns like something a toddler would use hey?!

Old Dec 4th 2005, 6:44 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Fred Dagg???? New one on me, who on earth is Fred Dagg????

I know what a Dag is, any similarity????
He's the one who sang "gum boots". I was introduced to him quite early on in my relationship with my hubby - think Pam Ayres on speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.