Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Another Car Thread!!!

Another Car Thread!!!

Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default Another Car Thread!!!

Yes I know, and I am sorry, but this is another thread about cars. My husband and I had in mind to bring our car over with us as we had heard that cars were quite expensive but now I am not so sure. Any advice would be great.

We have a 2005 Renault Scenic (5 seater) which we love as we can put the bikes on the roof, our tri gear in the boot and still have room for passengers. Plus it is like a van inside if you take the rear seats out which is great for moving things round. Also, it is a diesel so is very economical. We do still owe money on it but the sale of our second car will pay that off.

I am concerned about the upkeep of it if we did bring it as I don't know how common French cars are in NZ, will parts be a problem? If we decided to sell up and buy a car once we arrive what sort of money would we be looking at for something of a similar size? Bear in mind the space is for sports gear not children! We wouldn't be fussed about it being new but would just like something reasonable to run.

If anyone has any words of wisdom I would be most grateful, we do love our car but is transporting it an unnecessary expense???
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another Car Thread!!!

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Yes I know, and I am sorry, but this is another thread about cars. My husband and I had in mind to bring our car over with us as we had heard that cars were quite expensive but now I am not so sure. Any advice would be great.

We have a 2005 Renault Scenic (5 seater) which we love as we can put the bikes on the roof, our tri gear in the boot and still have room for passengers. Plus it is like a van inside if you take the rear seats out which is great for moving things round. Also, it is a diesel so is very economical. We do still owe money on it but the sale of our second car will pay that off.

I am concerned about the upkeep of it if we did bring it as I don't know how common French cars are in NZ, will parts be a problem? If we decided to sell up and buy a car once we arrive what sort of money would we be looking at for something of a similar size? Bear in mind the space is for sports gear not children! We wouldn't be fussed about it being new but would just like something reasonable to run.

If anyone has any words of wisdom I would be most grateful, we do love our car but is transporting it an unnecessary expense???
Hi
As far as I know, but am certainly no expert, there are very strict quidelines on exporting cars and I'm not sure they'd allow yours in. However, cars are very cheap in NZ. We bought a second hand Toyota Estima.......7 seater people carrier where all the seats in the back fold up to the sides giving plenty of space, all for $5, 700! There's plenty around and we've seen loads of these at either this price or cheaper.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Winnie
Hi
As far as I know, but am certainly no expert, there are very strict quidelines on exporting cars and I'm not sure they'd allow yours in. However, cars are very cheap in NZ. We bought a second hand Toyota Estima.......7 seater people carrier where all the seats in the back fold up to the sides giving plenty of space, all for $5, 700! There's plenty around and we've seen loads of these at either this price or cheaper.
Thanks for the info that certainly seems very reasonable.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I'd sell it and buy a second hand in NZ. There are a great number of rings to jump through to get the car there. And probably £2000 or more to transport.

I exported my newish 4x4 back to the UK and it was crushed in the container at the docks in Essex. Thats advice to get insurance too.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:04 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We need a people carrier, how old is yours for that price?
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We need a people carrier, how old is yours for that price?
Its 10 years old, but only had 1000Km mileage, which for a diesel is pretty good. We got it from Trade me and came with a full tank, 300Km mileage tax and 1years registration. Think we got a bargain. HAve seen lots around for sale for between $4K and $10K
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:24 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Roger
I exported my newish 4x4 back to the UK and it was crushed in the container at the docks in Essex. Thats advice to get insurance too.
Ok thats got me worried, I intend to bring a rare vintage vehicle with me, couldn't stand to see it crushed, was this accidental?

Adie
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:25 pm

Its 10 years old, but only had 1000Km mileage, which for a diesel is pretty good. We got it from Trade me and came with a full tank, 300Km mileage tax and 1years registration. Think we got a bargain. HAve seen lots around for sale for between $4K and $10K
Goodness me, that sounds like a real bargain. Have heard about Trade Me, is that like our AutoTrader? Do you have a website link please?Bit ahead of ourselves, but like paid research and am on my own in the office all next week, so may aswel do alot!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Goodness me, that sounds like a real bargain. Have heard about Trade Me, is that like our AutoTrader? Do you have a website link please?Bit ahead of ourselves, but like paid research and am on my own in the office all next week, so may aswel do alot!
Trade me is the NZ equivalent of ebay. www.trademe.co.nz
Its great and lots of bargains to be had. I've just bought 2 bed settee's and a bundle of bedding for my new house, and I haven't moved in yet!
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:34 pm

Trade me is the NZ equivalent of ebay. www.trademe.co.nz
Its great and lots of bargains to be had. I've just bought 2 bed settee's and a bundle of bedding for my new house, and I haven't moved in yet!
You Loolah too then!! Thank you for the link shall have a look next week when am on my own at work - plenty of time for paid research!