Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER BIG QUAKE FOR CHCH

ANOTHER BIG QUAKE FOR CHCH

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ANOTHER BIG QUAKE FOR CHCH

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
I wonder if the pub is open yet?
JR's was packed out yesterday evening when I passed by, the only thing to do is keep calm and carry on as normal if possible!
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm in St Albans, I have a spare bedroom if anybody needs it.
restless night, like many.
PM if I can help.
Steve S.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

Just had a look on Geonet, looks like you would have had no sleep at all...hope it lets up If anyone isn't going to family or friends over the hols & needs a break please pm, me we've got lots of room
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

selondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really niceselondon is just really nice

Was outside working on the front lawn of our place in Northwood when the
1st one hit. Watched the Street roll and our house bend. Decided that outside was the best place to be so got stuck into the garden, cleaning car etc. Was glad I did when the 2nd one hit. Paid the price overnight though what with the a/shocks and the raging sunburn as I had only been only wearing a vest!! Somehow forgot about sun cream with all that going on
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

AngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaandJim has a reputation beyond repute

When I heard about this my heart sank for you guys my thoughts are with you all.

Stay safe xx
Old Dec 24th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Yay - water back on at 8pm today. The guys have been fixing the road/water outside since early morning. They have done a fantastic job. Bower Ave (where I live) has been on the news and pics in the paper.

Here's to a quiet and safe Christmas and 2012, wherever you live.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Denise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really niceDenise01292 is just really nice

We are in Halswell and were at home when the earthquakes happened. My eldest who is 3 and a half was in the garden in his playhouse when it hit. He got such a fright and was screaming. Being quite loud and violent it caught us all of guard, especially as things have been so calm for the last month or two. I was on couch feeding newborn and hubby was in kitchen. My son has been like our shadow ever since, won't go to the loo by himself and won't even go into his room to bring out toys. We have been 'lucky' having sustained no damage and didn't lose power or water. I feel for the people who are living in already damaged homes, we are scared enough it must be so much worse for them.
Old Dec 25th 2011, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denise01292
We are in Halswell and were at home when the earthquakes happened. My eldest who is 3 and a half was in the garden in his playhouse when it hit. He got such a fright and was screaming. Being quite loud and violent it caught us all of guard, especially as things have been so calm for the last month or two. I was on couch feeding newborn and hubby was in kitchen. My son has been like our shadow ever since, won't go to the loo by himself and won't even go into his room to bring out toys. We have been 'lucky' having sustained no damage and didn't lose power or water. I feel for the people who are living in already damaged homes, we are scared enough it must be so much worse for them.
I do feel for the little ones, our own grand-daughter was just getting her confidence back and her mum was allowing them to go out again on their own to friends and stuff (12 and 15) now it seems they are back to being scared again and have taken another step back so much younger ones will be really freaked out by it all. At least your baby will have no memory of it all. I do wonder what our young children will endure in their lives in terms of how they perceive all this upset and how they carry the fear into adulthood. I hope it doesn't affect them all in the long run later on in life. I think it is wise to tell them that life is all about choices we make and how we react to situations ie as in being a victim and letting it upset us and ruin our lives or picking ourselves up, dusting ourselves down and starting over again with a positive outlook. Easy words I know but so hard to actually do. Hey even me at my age am finding it difficult, there is only so much we can cope with and it really plays with the psyche! Try and stay strong and positive Cantabs!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 4:23 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Finally managed to relax after a couple of days away. Friday's quakes seem to have affected me more than previous ones. I think it's because it all seemed to be settling down and I did have hope that we'd have no more big ones. I was in Parklands so close to the epicentre which meant it was all so much more violent. Very frightening, I've had enough of it and I live on the good side of town. I feel so so sorry for those who have to deal with liquefaction and loss of amenities. Hope those red zoned can move on soon.

Going back to the UK soon [my first trip back] will be good to be in an earthquake free zone for a while [the few small ones that they have had don't count]
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Finally managed to relax after a couple of days away. Friday's quakes seem to have affected me more than previous ones. I think it's because it all seemed to be settling down and I did have hope that we'd have no more big ones. I was in Parklands so close to the epicentre which meant it was all so much more violent. Very frightening, I've had enough of it and I live on the good side of town. I feel so so sorry for those who have to deal with liquefaction and loss of amenities. Hope those red zoned can move on soon.

Going back to the UK soon [my first trip back] will be good to be in an earthquake free zone for a while [the few small ones that they have had don't count]
It must've been terrifying for you. My heart goes out to everyone in Christchurch. So pleased to hear that you are going to get a break away from it all for a while.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a lovely break. We went to Hanmer Xmas Day and Timaru Boxing Day. Sudden noises etc still make you ready yourself for another shake though, don't they?

Photos are from yesterday in Bower Ave, Parklands, where we live - green/blue zoned at the present but who knows for how long?
Attached Thumbnails ANOTHER BIG QUAKE FOR CHCH-009.jpg   ANOTHER BIG QUAKE FOR CHCH-010.jpg   ANOTHER BIG QUAKE FOR CHCH-008.jpg  
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy64
Have a lovely break. We went to Hanmer Xmas Day and Timaru Boxing Day. Sudden noises etc still make you ready yourself for another shake though, don't they?

Photos are from yesterday in Bower Ave, Parklands, where we live - green/blue zoned at the present but who knows for how long?
Yes, it's good to get away and have a break. Hanmer is lovely and very relaxing. Unfortunately that jumpiness at certain sudden noises does take a long time to go away and I still did it even before last Friday I guess over a year of this makes us all very nervous at anything that sounds quake-like.
How's your place- have you got a lot of liquefaction or are you ok? It always seems very random.
All the best for 2012 Chippy and family-hope this is the last of all the shakiness
Old Dec 28th 2011, 6:58 am
Just Joined

neave is an unknown quantity at this point

We left Chch on Friday evening to Queenstown where we spent our xmas and we still here. It was so scary when it happened. It was my first earthquake! I was alone with my 15 months old when the first one hit. I can't imagine how people went through this so many times for the past year. I'm still so terrified to come back to Chch. I hope the aftershocks are getting less and less and hardly felt. Anyway I hope everyone is good and no much damaged.xxxx
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it's good to get away and have a break. Hanmer is lovely and very relaxing. Unfortunately that jumpiness at certain sudden noises does take a long time to go away and I still did it even before last Friday I guess over a year of this makes us all very nervous at anything that sounds quake-like.
How's your place- have you got a lot of liquefaction or are you ok? It always seems very random.
All the best for 2012 Chippy and family-hope this is the last of all the shakiness
We were lucky in that the liquefaction and huge sink holes are at the end of the drive and not on or in the property. A couple of doors/windows are now more difficult to open/close. Bower Ave is a real mess though, with huge holes. But, no-one hurt so all good really!
Here's to a better 2012 for all
Old Jan 5th 2012, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry in replying a little late but we've certainly had an experience from the latest round of Quakes

I was just settling down to more drinks after a big christmas dinner at work when the first one hit. Literally it didn't bother me as I was expecting to experience these when arriving. However, I could only think of my partner Sarah and rushed to the car to drive home to her. I certainly appreciated my boss saying "go check on her" as she's been through this before

It must have been 8 minutes later I was on Blenheim Road bridge when the second one shook. Now this was a little concerning as I thought of Kobe when the shake happened. Deep down I knew nothing would happen as it was a little 5 second job and that a big one would happen within the hour but I certainly didn't want to be on that bridge for much longer just in case the worst happened.

I eventually got back to my partner and well she was shaken. She was not enjoying her first experience of these quakes so I parked the car and took her down Cashel Mall for a drink. I had been advised to stay away from any building for the time being and do not be inside one. The safest place to be was outside. It was wierd that the city centre was so quiet and there wasn't that many people out. I think it was perhaps many were with loved ones.

Well then came the 6.0 and it was the noise that concerned me. I had never experienced a loud noise like this before. It was like there was 50 jet engines roaring right by your ear before mother nature decided to dance again. Rather stupidly I covered my partner in case any glass shattered on us which none did but all earthquake training has said not to do this. I ended up getting tea all over my white jeans which still hasn't come off, and a little bit of coca cola fell but not too much. Sarah ended up balling her eyes out and 2 old ladies came and comforted her. It was lovely to see fellow ChCh people comforting her saying it's one of those things. Gives me the indication that everyone has a "take these on the shoulder till they stop" attitude

We decided to walk round the north of the city centre to see the damage and saw plenty of burst water mains before getting back to our apartment. Our xmas tree was down, glass broken, plenty of damage and we felt lets pack and get out. During this time the fourth hit and that was when ceiling fell. We didn't have a lot of stuff but we didn't want to hang around as seeing ceiling fall was not what I wanted to see. None of us wanted to be in that building any longer and got out of there immediately.

We ended up driving to the airport to see if we could get a flight to Australia to see my cousin as they were the first to ring telling us to get over there. I must say i've never seen a queue for the Air New Zealand desk as long as I saw on that day. It was longer than waiting to board a tube train during rush hour in London. We managed to get a flight with Emirates and couldn't believe how cheap it was. Fantastic airline by the way, far better than Air New Zealand in my opinion.

We got back to our apartment and found a red sticker was intact. We rang round finding somewhere to stay and here is where I must thank the staff at our letting agency who got us a place. We stopped there the night in the south west which felt safer even though we did feel more shaking throughout the night. It wasn't as bad as earlier on in the day

The following morning, I went to our building via work to get my builders helmet and got everything out. People were evacuating the premises and I hope they all found somewhere to stay. It didn't help that we had a whinging old bastard moaning that we weren't putting rubbish in the bins etc but this old man is a prat and all the residents despise him! Sorry for my language but he really wound everyone up on the 24th. We put all our stuff into the spare room the lady had that we stayed with and then the letting agency drove us to the airport for us to get a flight to Sydney. Fantastic help all round

On returning, I was glad to be back as these earthquakes won't put me off. Joy to behold this morning, I ended up being scalded as I was making a coffee when an aftershock hit around half 8 this morning. Just my luck!

We are now waiting for CERA's structural engineers to assess our property before we can move back in or not. As we've already signed to extend the lease, we can't really move out unless CERA says it's unsafe. We have temp accommodation until next week and then hopefully a decision would be made. If not, it's back being homeless again although I hope they'll find somewhere short term for us. Ideally, we want to know before we travel to Sri Lanka in February but I have heard it could be a while due to the demand of the Structural Engineers. The building survived the quakes up till now, see what happens I suppose

Deep down, Sarah wants it to be declared unsafe as she wants to live in a bungalow than a first floor apartment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.