British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   another akl commuting question! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/another-akl-commuting-question-545349/)

Stoof Jun 26th 2008 2:17 pm

another akl commuting question!

been having a think and a look at the map-book, as well as trade me for rental prices!

what about devonport area (or takapuna even) then ferry over to the city?

is that an expensive option? i've checked the fullers website for prices but dunno yet what we'll be earning so can't really work that out!

what do you reckon?

if YOU had to work CBD, ideally, where would you live?!?!? trying to weigh up quality of life etc!

thanks everso!!

lisamnz Jun 26th 2008 2:50 pm

Re: another akl commuting question!

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 6506080)
been having a think and a look at the map-book, as well as trade me for rental prices!

what about devonport area (or takapuna even) then ferry over to the city?

is that an expensive option? i've checked the fullers website for prices but dunno yet what we'll be earning so can't really work that out!

what do you reckon?

if YOU had to work CBD, ideally, where would you live?!?!? trying to weigh up quality of life etc!

thanks everso!!

devonport or takapuna and ferry is a great commuting option. but actually the whole of the north shore is becoming much easier to commute from - park and ride facilities, better buses, and bus priority lanes all over the place including the harbour bridge.

You need to check out how easy it would be to get from places in takapuna to devonport though - friends who live around the east coast bays are fine to get a bus to the city centre, but it's not so easy to get to devonport.

Devonport is quite expensive but is a lovely area, older houses, spacious, nice views of the Auckland skyline potentially otherwise out to sea, rangitoto etc.

lisamnz Jun 26th 2008 4:16 pm

Re: another akl commuting question!

Originally Posted by lisamnz (Post 6506184)
devonport or takapuna and ferry is a great commuting option. but actually the whole of the north shore is becoming much easier to commute from - park and ride facilities, better buses, and bus priority lanes all over the place including the harbour bridge.

You need to check out how easy it would be to get from places in takapuna to devonport though - friends who live around the east coast bays are fine to get a bus to the city centre, but it's not so easy to get to devonport.

Devonport is quite expensive but is a lovely area, older houses, spacious, nice views of the Auckland skyline potentially otherwise out to sea, rangitoto etc.

oh and ideally - I'd live in west Auckland, way out west, and get the train. but that's bx I'd like to have space and semi-rural land and wouldn't want to drive.

and I see that you've already got loads of info on the park n rides and buses. the number of people that use the ferry to & from city, would suggest it's a very economically viable option!