British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Animals/pets/waddaya do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/animals-pets-waddaya-do-388845/)

danny.f Aug 5th 2006 10:38 pm

Re: Animals/pets/waddaya do?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I am Loolah?! In a fairy stylie. Slightly blond/dippy/vague! That's all - quite simple when you know how! Favourite colour pink? Don't have downstairs loo - have fuschia pink Fairy Grotto - complete with pink feathers and gold seat and loo roll holder - don't you?

Only my en suite! When I get my house with 3 loo's,the lads loo is gonna have a table to lean on,with a pen and daily newspaper,sky sports news on a plasma telly,pictures of Kenny Dalglish looking discretely away, pictures of Kelly Brook looking directly at you,doing that licky lip thing. Toilet seat permanently glued down,and geisha's on 24 hour call to wipe our booties!!! He he he.

Am Loolah Aug 5th 2006 10:40 pm

Look - I know you replied to your own posting earlier so don't do coy with me!! Hubby says pretend to ship cat, buy look alike in New Zealand - kids will be none the wiser, you'll be £1,000 richer! Or buy look aloike kids and take the cat?! When are you going and where?

Am Loolah Aug 5th 2006 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by danny.f
Only my en suite! When I get my house with 3 loo's,the lads loo is gonna have a table to lean on,with a pen and daily newspaper,sky sports news on a plasma telly,pictures of Kenny Dalglish looking discretely away, pictures of Kelly Brook looking directly at you,doing that licky lip thing. Toilet seat permanently glued down,and geisha's on 24 hour call to wipe our booties!!! He he he.

How did we get on to your toilet fantasies when my original response was a very sensible, helpful one about pet shipping?! And I thought I was Loolah?!

danny.f Aug 5th 2006 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
How did we get on to your toilet fantasies when my original response was a very sensible, helpful one about pet shipping?! And I thought I was Loolah?!

Ah Christ that was funny as hell. Go to 'whats the weather like ' and check my rant out. That has cheered me up superbly.
Wellington,hopefully November,jobs for both of us start 7th Feb,but can be put back.

poppets Aug 5th 2006 10:59 pm

OK. Tricky one this. We have a 5 yr old cat called Dennis (kids did it,not me), he's a friendly enough wee fella,kids adore him,wife puts up with him. Rumour has it it's £1000 to ship a pussy. ;)
Is it worth it? Has anyone taken their pets? Do they need to be steam cleaned/machine washed? Do they need pussy passports? Do they smile or not on their picture? :) :) I'm lol here,but it's a serious question.

i never realised that my pussy needed a passport!! ;)
We brought our cat & shes 10 with a touch of athritis in one hip, she's like a new bloody cat here, leaps & jumps all over the place. Our kids were thrilled that she came (she spent 6 weeks in a cattery in wellington, they alos picked her up from airport for us too, highly recommend them if you need them)
to ship her here we used passport for pets http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/ cost about £500, our vet did all the vets stuff in the uk, very easy to do

Am Loolah Aug 5th 2006 11:01 pm

Ah Christ that was funny as hell. Go to 'whats the weather like ' and check my rant out. That has cheered me up superbly.
Wellington,hopefully November,jobs for both of us start 7th Feb,but can be put back.

Que? (am bi-lingual) whats what's the weather like? Only signed up to this strange cyber world 2 days ago!

danny.f Aug 5th 2006 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by poppets
i never realised that my pussy needed a passport!! ;)
We brought our cat & shes 10 with a touch of athritis in one hip, she's like a new bloody cat here, leaps & jumps all over the place. Our kids were thrilled that she came (she spent 6 weeks in a cattery in wellington, they alos picked her up from airport for us too, highly recommend them if you need them)
to ship her here we used passport for pets http://www.passportforpets.co.uk/ cost about £500, our vet did all the vets stuff in the uk, very easy to do

Poppets,yet again you a bloomin big shiny star!! That is fab info,thank you (mainly cos it's £500 cheaper than other info!!). I would karma you but you seem karma'd to death,and besides,don't think I've mastered it yet,still nobody's felt anything. Don't think I'm pressing the right buttons. ;)

sighthoundcrazy Aug 7th 2006 2:52 am

OK. Tricky one this. We have a 5 yr old cat called Dennis (kids did it,not me), he's a friendly enough wee fella,kids adore him,wife puts up with him. Rumour has it it's £1000 to ship a pussy. ;)
Is it worth it? Has anyone taken their pets? Do they need to be steam cleaned/machine washed? Do they need pussy passports? Do they smile or not on their picture? :) :) I'm lol here,but it's a serious question.

Hi
Just joined so this is my first reply! We had 2 dogs,3 ponies and 3 cats and we lft them all in Wales. It was hard tosay goodbye to thedogs mostly as they are my obbsesion! It would have cost ££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$ to bring them and it is very complicated if you arrive as we did with nowhere to live!

SarahB Aug 7th 2006 3:37 am

Originally Posted by sighthoundcrazy
Hi
Just joined so this is my first reply! We had 2 dogs,3 ponies and 3 cats and we lft them all in Wales. It was hard tosay goodbye to thedogs mostly as they are my obbsesion! It would have cost ££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$ to bring them and it is very complicated if you arrive as we did with nowhere to live!

Welcome to the site!! Yes youre right it wouldve cost a lot. We left my horse and a guinea pig with my best friend.... shes still got them. It breaks your heart doesnt it. We've inherited 2 cats here with the rental house but when we move to own house in 2 weeks time they are coming with us.... and also a horse who was rescued from petfood fate.

helinuk Aug 7th 2006 8:51 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Welcome to the site!! Yes youre right it wouldve cost a lot. We left my horse and a guinea pig with my best friend.... shes still got them. It breaks your heart doesnt it. We've inherited 2 cats here with the rental house but when we move to own house in 2 weeks time they are coming with us.... and also a horse who was rescued from petfood fate.

It's a difficult decision. We left our 1st Springer spaniel here when we went to Singapore to live, thought it would be too hot for him and there's no fields for him to run around! Then when we returned we had to leave our cat in Singapore because hubby refused to pay the $1500 to ship him home - kids and I never forgave him! So this Springer spaniel is I hope coming with us (if we get the visa) The trouble is we have offer on house so agreed to move into a rented house end of sept. till we move to nz, and there doesn't seem to be any rented places that allow pets! Same ,as far as I can see in NZ- all say no pets, so I'm not sure what to do with dog - my family are not dog lovers enough to offer to look after him:-(
I'm interested in the £££ quotes and what people have already paid to ship dog.
Danny it's true the kids are happy if they have familiar things around them. But if you can't afford to ship cat tell them he wouldn't be happy in nz and you'll get a cat when you arrive there. :)
h.

poppets Aug 7th 2006 8:56 am

Poppets,yet again you a bloomin big shiny star!! That is fab info,thank you (mainly cos it's £500 cheaper than other info!!). I would karma you but you seem karma'd to death,and besides,don't think I've mastered it yet,still nobody's felt anything. Don't think I'm pressing the right buttons. ;)

if you got 3 kids you must be pressing the right buttons i suspect ;)
Thought you'd like the price ;) good service there too & the crate was free, have kept it for Civil Defence emergencies!!! :D

danny.f Aug 7th 2006 11:37 am

Slight problem also is no-one will have him here,so feel slightly obliged,not to mention the rented property problem. Can't I lie and anaesthetise him,say he's dead and we're gonna get him stuffed,then bring himround when the man's buggered off?
How long do they get quarantied for?

poppets Aug 7th 2006 10:37 pm

Slight problem also is no-one will have him here,so feel slightly obliged,not to mention the rented property problem. Can't I lie and anaesthetise him,say he's dead and we're gonna get him stuffed,then bring himround when the man's buggered off?

They don't get quarantied anymore, just supposed to have 4 weeks indoors at a registered address, this is why we put ours in the cattery, til we found a rental

SarahB Aug 8th 2006 4:16 am

Just bring the old cat!!! He'll love it here and the kids will be happy too. There are rentals that will take cats.... always worth asking even if it says No Pets.... its not like having a huge dog is it.. we are in a rental and have 2 cats.

pangor Aug 8th 2006 9:27 am

Originally Posted by SarahB
Just bring the old cat!!! He'll love it here and the kids will be happy too. There are rentals that will take cats.... always worth asking even if it says No Pets.... its not like having a huge dog is it.. we are in a rental and have 2 cats.

We lived in a rental when our cats arrived as well. Landlord was fine with it as he had a cat himself.

Also it gives the Kiwis a good laugh when you mention how much you spent to bring the cats over !

peter