Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Animals as pets in NZ

Animals as pets in NZ

Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Animals as pets in NZ

I've heard that only cats and dogs are considered for immigration into NZ with their owners. I'm assuming this is to keep things like snakes out...

I have heard, and this will break my daughter's heart if it's true, that hamsters do not exist in NZ. Is this true?

How about rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas? I'm assuming they all do.

Am I right? Ta...
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animals as pets in NZ

Originally Posted by Maz
I've heard that only cats and dogs are considered for immigration into NZ with their owners. I'm assuming this is to keep things like snakes out...

I have heard, and this will break my daughter's heart if it's true, that hamsters do not exist in NZ. Is this true?

Am I right? Ta...
Hi,
Your right no hamsters im afraid. Nor snakes that ive seen. You can get all the other things including rats and mice. We had two leopard geckos which we were not allowed to bring.
Carole
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:12 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
Your right no hamsters im afraid. Nor snakes that ive seen. You can get all the other things including rats and mice. We had two leopard geckos which we were not allowed to bring.
Carole
Cool, thanks Carole!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz

Am I right? Ta...
There are no snakes permitted in NZ, none in the wild and they dont even permit them in zoos
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:28 am
Maz

Originally Posted by kwprwn
There are no snakes permitted in NZ, none in the wild and they dont even permit them in zoos
Thanks Dawn! You know, we went to Auckland Zoo and I knew there was something missing!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:41 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoo!

Also you can get fined $100,000 and 5 years in prison if you import a hamster!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:52 am
Maz

Originally Posted by RobClubley
http://www.pimpmyskoda.co.uk/clubley...p/NoSnakes.jpg

Woohoo!

Also you can get fined $100,000 and 5 years in prison if you import a hamster!!
Alrighty then! So who set up that rule about hamsters? (Richard Gere? )
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:56 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Freddie Starr?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:23 am
Maz

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Freddie Starr?
Well each of them had a hamster... uh... "enter them". Or so they say. Just from different ends.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

No gerbils either I wanted to get a pair of these for my son and had to get smelly mice instead
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:39 am
Maz

Originally Posted by dlmckay
No gerbils either I wanted to get a pair of these for my son and had to get smelly mice instead
OK what do the Kiwis have against hamsters and gerbils?... They're not exactly a threat to the indigenous species!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

although you see a lot of people walking dogs...there must be more cats as pets....

you go into supermarkets and there are about 200 different kinds of cat food and 2 different kinds of dog food....

1 of which is crapmy dog hates it....the other he is getting well cheesed off with

need to find a pets at home or something like that...they sell this rolled rubbish but he is very fussy....doesn't like that either..

hes now eating spag bol, and fish...not great for him but at least he eats it...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by garryhg
you go into supermarkets and there are about 200 different kinds of cat food and 2 different kinds of dog food....

1 of which is crapmy dog hates it....the other he is getting well cheesed off with
I gave up on the dog food - it's overpriced and produces waaaay too much waste. Read Dr I Billings' Give Your Dog a Bone - very good reading - you'll never buy commercial food again!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
OK what do the Kiwis have against hamsters and gerbils?... They're not exactly a threat to the indigenous species!
oooo, I don't know - gerbils could easily... um... take over kiwi burrows? Nasty business
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dlmckay
I gave up on the dog food - it's overpriced and produces waaaay too much waste. Read Dr I Billings' Give Your Dog a Bone - very good reading - you'll never buy commercial food again!
have to agree on the waste thingdog poos about 4 times a day here

will give the book a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.