Reload this Page >

anaesthetic technitian hopeing to move to nz

anaesthetic technitian hopeing to move to nz

Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road
Default anaesthetic technician hopeing to move to nz

Hi everyone,
We are new to this board myself and family of husband and two not so little children of 20yrs and 16yrs are planning on moving out to nz in around 18months time.
We are just in the process of filling out the expression of interest forms(the very early stages i know).
I was wondering if anyone has any information for my hubby on the what the hospital life is like over there. He has been an anestetic technitian for over 20years first in Sheffield and then for the last 9 years here in the Isle of Man.
We really feel ready for a change and feel the New Zealand will hopefully give us a better quality of life although we both don't want to be working long hours everyday.
I work in the banking industry as a reconciliations administrator, but i'm not sure how easy it will be for me to find work over there.
Sorry for the long thread, i'm new to this forum and have so many questions i don't know where to start.
If anyone can help i would really appreciate any information you can offer.

Last edited by fitzandindiana; Jan 11th 2008 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: anaesthetic technitian hopeing to move to nz

hi and welcome to nz forum.....my OH (garry) works in auckland city hospital...and loves it...he is sterile services manager out here,his department was getting a bad press over here so they looked outside nz to bring in someone with his experience.....in his opinion hospitals here are a bit behind uk,in terms of quality control and ISO standards that have all been in place in uk for quite some time.....
so they brought him over to implement these changes...

he worked in edinburgh royal infirmary for quite a few years and said the pace of life here in the health service is much more laid back....and loves his work....he did the same job in edinburgh and was stressed constantly and was in great danger of having a coronary before he reached 41,he is so laid back and relaxed at work now ,its just great to see him happy at last.....

you OH will probably have a good experience in health service if he has come from health service in uk....sorry can't help you with bank jobs,but the amount of different banks out here i am guessing you won't have any problems...where are you planning on staying?...jacky
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

Welcome to the forum, most jobs in the healthcare profession are in demand which will make finding a job and getting a visa fairly straight forward, especially with your husbands experiance.

The only thing is the lower wages, as a nurse in the UK with 5 years experiance im on £25 000 in NZ i will be on $55 000 which is about £18 000 before tax. A lot of people have equity from a house sale therefore can live mortgage free. Unfortunately im not in that situation!! I cant help on banking jobs, one thing i would check out is the visa situation for your 20 year old there are some issues around what classes as a dependant child or they might need a separate type of visa.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

we were in a fortunate situation,because they wanted OH for the job they matched his salary and paid for us all to come over.....the health service here offers relocation package in some cases ,get in touch with them,you never no they might just foot the bill.....jacky
Old Jan 12th 2008, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Hi, If your not planning to move yet you should try to go to the New Zealand Exhibition, held in Earls Court Exhibition Centre(sorry do not know dates). As well as a lot of employers from various organizations, there are a lot of banks there and you never know they may be interested in recruiting you or offer advice on employment