British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Amy Winehouse (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/amy-winehouse-726091/)

DandJMay Jul 25th 2011 9:19 am

Re: Amy Winehouse

[QUOTE=Charismatic;9517037].
She had some good tunes but to compare her to Morris, Hendrix et. al. is probably a little too far.

She had the talent though, that is really the loss :(.

I am a big AW fan but I couldn't agree more, but then maybe (just maybe) its for the next generation to decide if she belongs in the Forever 27 group, personally I think not.

pricklykina Jul 25th 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 9517122)
If you look back I already posted that link ;)

Never look back I say :rofl:

billingham Jul 25th 2011 9:41 am

[QUOTE=DandJMay;9517218]

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9517037)
She had some good tunes but to compare her to Morris, Hendrix et. al. is probably a little too far.

She had the talent though, that is really the loss :(.

I am a big AW fan but I couldn't agree more, but then maybe (just maybe) its for the next generation to decide if she belongs in the Forever 27 group, personally I think not.

The actual criteria for entering that club are - being 27 (yes), being a rock star (yes) and being influential. Now, here is a quote for you:

"Contemporaries such as Lady Gaga, Adele, Duffy and Lily Allen have all cited Winehouse as an influence on their work."

I would say that was pretty influential, so yes, she will become a member of that club. Whilst she may not have had the body of work of the others in the list, that is not one of the criteria, so is not relevant.

Bo-Jangles Jul 25th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9517266)

"Contemporaries such as Lady Gaga, Adele, Duffy and Lily Allen have all cited Winehouse as an influence on their work."

I expect we could easily add Gin Wigmore and many others to that list too.

alanmacc Jul 25th 2011 10:23 am

well at the risk of offending everybody ........... she was a junkie no more no less, everything she took was all of her own free will and it killed her, just another one to add to the list

billingham Jul 25th 2011 10:26 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 9517345)
well at the risk of offending everybody ........... she was a junkie no more no less, everything she took was all of her own free will and it killed her, just another one to add to the list

No. She was a human being.

love30stm Jul 25th 2011 10:52 am

Omg so ignorant she battled depression, eating disorders and addiction which is a sickness.

Lets hope you or Any of your freinds or family don't go down that road what a supporting person you would be

billingham Jul 25th 2011 10:57 am

"Reason: Can't say ass ole :)"

You could have said sphincter.

love30stm Jul 25th 2011 10:58 am

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9517388)
"Reason: Can't say ass ole :)"

You could have said sphincter.

Lol!!!

pricklykina Jul 25th 2011 11:06 am

Offended? No!
Envious maybe, that you have obviously not lived with the pain of another's addiction. Or maybe you have and that's the problem? You've been hurt and haven't done your own recovery as yet?
Regardless i feel sad that you can see things in such black and white terms that you miss the diversity.

Am Loolah Jul 25th 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9517349)
No. She was a human being.

Perfect summary. And was somebody's ex-wife, girlfriend, daughter, Godmother, friend.

emmabc Jul 25th 2011 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9517605)
Perfect summary. And was somebody's ex-wife, girlfriend, daughter, Godmother, friend.

in total agreement am loolah .

lardyl Jul 25th 2011 1:57 pm

RIP Amy you talented singer and songwriter - may your sensitive spirit find a rest you never seemed to be able to reach in this life.

Originally Posted by emmabc (Post 9517639)
in total agreement am loolah .

+1
plus it's so easy to judge and far more difficult to understand how someone can come to this position in their life.

Having seen what damage can be caused to those around by traumatic events, how that can manifest itself many years later and how fragile a healthy state of mind can be, then I think we can only speculate what pressure she suffered and how we might respond if we were to find ourslves in that position.

billingham Jul 25th 2011 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9517741)
RIP Amy you talented singer and songwriter - may your sensitive spirit find a rest you never seemed to be able to reach in this life.

+1
plus it's so easy to judge and far more difficult to understand how someone can come to this position in their life.

Having seen what damage can be caused to those around by traumatic events, how that can manifest itself many years later and how fragile a healthy state of mind can be, then I think we can only speculate what pressure she suffered and how we might respond if we were to find ourslves in that position.

Beautifully put.

lardyl Jul 25th 2011 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by billingham (Post 9517771)
Beautifully put.

thanks

isn't it true that the most creative talented people are also the most self-destructive.
madness is indeed often one small step from genius, and we can think of those taken by drugs and booze before their time:

Dinah Washington
Billie Holliday
Judy Garland
Janis Joplin

and of course Elvis, Kurt, Jimmi, Wacko Jacko (?), etc