Am i mad?

Old Apr 2nd 2015, 8:58 am
Just Joined

Theman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am i mad?

Im 23 recently found employment in new zealand. I currently live in the UK with my parents. I've completed my visa just waiting for it to pass immigration and I will be off. I've done hardly any research and it's just hut me the severity of what Im about to do.

I'll be on around 20NZ Per hour, i'm moving to wellington. Is this enough to survive on myself? I also have some savings but nothing major.

Will I be alright or am I just mad?

Last edited by Theman; Apr 2nd 2015 at 9:02 am. Reason: More info
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am i mad?

depends on how much money you have, where you are going, the wage you will be on and many many other factors
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
depends on how much money you have, where you are going, the wage you will be on and many many other factors

Updated my post cheers
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't put a lot of thought when we decided to move. Other half applied for his job and it all went from there... In a sense I'm glad we didn't overthink it as I can see why people may then not move. It's the best decision we ever made!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

your young and single, lifes an afventure, you'll be fine

Look at house sharing / flatmates wanted on trademe for somewhere to live its a good and cheep option
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:41 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as already said your young so hey why not, just make sure you have a back up plan.

do some research before you come, I'm guessing you are coming on a temp visa?
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as already said your young so hey why not, just make sure you have a back up plan.

do some research before you come, I'm guessing you are coming on a temp visa?

Nope permanent its a trade job in engineering. Will I be alright financially. Also would I need a NZ driving license to drive over there? Is all pay paid weekly? Are there plenty pubs and bars to go to?(im not planning on becoming an alcoholic It's probably just the best way of me meeting people)
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theman
Im 23 recently found employment in new zealand. I currently live in the UK with my parents. I've completed my visa just waiting for it to pass immigration and I will be off. I've done hardly any research and it's just hut me the severity of what Im about to do.

I'll be on around 20NZ Per hour, i'm moving to wellington. Is this enough to survive on myself? I also have some savings but nothing major.

Will I be alright or am I just mad?
Always depends what type of person you are and we're all different. Most will say your young, so just go and do it. I know people who have travelled in there 20's and had a great experience, but are now in there 30's without money (some regret it, some don't). Some never moved abroad while they were young, but now have their mortgage paid off and plenty of time and money to do it now. Others moved abroad and settled. Who knows, but you're not mad.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 2nd 2015 at 10:31 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

I would dwell on the positive and consider it a head start on a new life, rather than waiting till your mid 30's or 40's like others have had to do.

You will have the option of moving back home i expect too, so its a safety net.

So, I would say run with it, give it your best - it may be hard at times - but its if you think its worth it or not. And you probably wont know if its worth it or not till you actually get over there and see.

Crack on!
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:23 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Theman;11609125]Nope permanent its a trade job in engineering.
Will I be alright financially

If you live in a shared room in a 'group house' you will probably be ok. Look up the rents on TradeMe.co.nz/property

Also would I need a NZ driving license to drive over there?
You can drive on your British licence for a year. Best bet would be for you to get your NZ licence. Employers are obsessed with driving licences here in NZ even though the job has nothing to do with driving. (I think it's a sneaky background check, but that's just me.)

You can get your NZ licence in exchange for your UK licence. Just go along to the AA office in your local town in NZ. Fill in the form, pay the fee, have your photo taken and you will be given a slip of paper with your NZ licence number on it. Your NZ licence arrives in the post to your NZ address a few days later. You get your UK licence back straight away and it's still valid.

Is all pay paid weekly?
No, fortnightly. You'll pay less income tax and there's no National Insurance requirement.

Are there plenty pubs and bars to go to?(im not planning on becoming an alcoholic It's probably just the best way of me meeting people)
Yes. There's good bars at the waterfront in Wellington. More in town too. Good cafe's too. Courtenay Place is the lively place to be in Wellington in the evening. Cuba Street is pedestrianized. There's a huge Irish Pub on Cuba Street. Check out, 'Midnight Espresso' a funky all night café in Cuba Street,Wellington.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 2nd 2015 at 11:29 am. Reason: bars
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Just curious Snap Shot, when you do that - do they take your UK one off you?
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:29 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McLeod
Just curious Snap Shot, when you do that - do they take your UK one off you?

You get your UK licence back straight away and it's still valid.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Snap Shot

If you live in a shared room in a 'group house' you will probably be ok. Look up the rents on TradeMe.co.nz/property

You can drive on your British licence for a year. Best bet would be for you to get your NZ licence. Employers are obsessed with driving licences here in NZ even though the job has nothing to do with driving. (I think it's a sneaky background check, but that's just me.)

You can get your NZ licence in exchange for your UK licence. Just go along to the AA office in your local town in NZ. Fill in the form, pay the fee, have your photo taken and you will be given a slip of paper with your NZ licence number on it. Your NZ licence arrives in the post to your NZ address a few days later. You get your UK licence back straight away and it's still valid.

No, fortnightly. You'll pay less income tax and there's no National Insurance requirement.

Yes. There's good bars at the waterfront in Wellington. More in town too. Good cafe's too. Courtenay Place is the lively place to be in Wellington in the evening. Cuba Street is pedestrianized. There's a huge Irish Pub on Cuba Street. Check out, 'Midnight Espresso' a funky all night café in Cuba Street,Wellington.
Cheers mate this has cleared a whole load up!!

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 2nd 2015 at 7:06 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:43 am

No problem. Sweet As !
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Recently moved from Wellington after a 2.5 year stint there and for a single 20 something it'll be awesome!
Assuming you'll be working a 40hr week you'll be earning near $42k before income tax and ACC contributions.
You'll be taking home approx. $1350 per fortnight.
You should easily be able to flat / house share for $150 - $200 per week which should get you a room with a bed and wardrobe then the use of the rest of the house shared and may also include utilities (power and water) and wifi/broadband internet access although these wouldn't be too much extra if you had to pay more. Will also be a great way to meet people and they'll introduce you to many others.
Wellington is great for pubs / clubs / eateries.
The waterfront is fine but as drinking pubs go there's only a couple at either end of it as the rest are more upmarket restaurants/bistro's than bars for beer. They're the kind of trendy places one would go for a few after work drinks / nibbles from the office.
Courtney Place is a hub of activity for drinking pubs/bars/clubs/gentlemen's bars/take out's etc. Cuba Street is more arty but has a good selection of bars/pubs and some great cafe's.
There's also a fantastic Craft Beer scene in Wellington. There's around 15 pubs dotted around the city that serve craft beer (like Real Ale in the UK) and it can be an awesome pub crawl event with the right people.

It costs around $55 to exchange your driving licence at an NZTA outlet like the AA shop. Simple form to fill in, produce your UK license, pay the fee, take a quick eye test at the desk and they'll hand you a temporary license until the photocard one comes through the post. I'd advise you to keep the UK one for the majority of the first 12 months until applying for the NZ license as if for example you get done for speeding in the first 12 months (which is pretty easy Grrr!), NZ police cannot apply demerit points to a UK license so you would only have the fine to pay whereas if you already had the NZ license you would also get the points. Takes you the first 12 months to get used to driving less aggressively and at a much slower pace than the UK so doing it this way, by the time you come to get an NZ license you've got used to the roads and driving here.

Go for it in my opinion. You'll be fine on that salary if you are careful. You only live once. It'll be an awesome experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.