Reload this Page >

Am I eligible to migrate to Newzealand

Am I eligible to migrate to Newzealand

Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

oberon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I eligible to migrate to Newzealand

Hello,
I have Permanent Residence Visa of Australia, now I want to migrate to Newzealand.I am 28 yr old industrial Engineer but working as web developer.Is that possible?
Regards,
oberon
Old Mar 11th 2004, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

we've been thinking the very same thing. I know that Oz and Kiwi people have/had the right to live and work in either place as they pleased.

But I would like to hear what the current situation is.

Piers
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I eligible to migrate to Newzealand

Originally posted by oberon
Hello,
I have Permanent Residence Visa of Australia, now I want to migrate to Newzealand.I am 28 yr old industrial Engineer but working as web developer.Is that possible?
Regards,
oberon
You can work in NZ as a PR of Australia however your status when your visa label runs out is shaky to say the least if you leave NZ.

You need 2 years residence in Oz as a PR to to renew your RRV to travel.

A more sure fire way is to get 2 years residence in Oz as a PR and obtain citizenship. Citizenship cannot be lost by absence from Australia.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

oberon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advise . Is the scope if IT professionals good in Nz?
Regards,
oberon
Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Kiwi immigration site states:

"If you wish to migrate to New Zealand, you need to apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service for resident status.

Resident status in New Zealand entitles you to live, study and work indefinitely in New Zealand.

However, certain people do not need to apply for residence to live in New Zealand. They include:

New Zealand citizens, who must show valid New Zealand passports on entering New Zealand; and
Australian citizens, who must show valid Australian passports on entering New Zealand; and
Australian permanent residents, who must show valid Australian resident return visas on entering New Zealand"

P
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:30 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your advise . Is the scope if IT professionals good in Nz?
Regards,
oberon

depends on your specific skills, and how much money you're willing to sacrifice.

Not as good as Melbourne or Sydney, but probably enough options to keep you happy.

As long as you're happy working with the 'slow' Kiwi IT workers

(BP - this is the cue for your story! )
Old Mar 12th 2004, 12:47 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
Regards,
oberon
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...345#post630609

Peter
Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:38 pm

Originally posted by jandjuk
depends on your specific skills, and how much money you're willing to sacrifice.

Not as good as Melbourne or Sydney, but probably enough options to keep you happy.

As long as you're happy working with the 'slow' Kiwi IT workers

(BP - this is the cue for your story! )
LOL

JandJ I do hope my experience is unique. Hopefully the non hardware types are quicker.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 9:44 pm

Originally posted by piers_morgan
Kiwi immigration site states:

"If you wish to migrate to New Zealand, you need to apply to the New Zealand Immigration Service for resident status.

Resident status in New Zealand entitles you to live, study and work indefinitely in New Zealand.

However, certain people do not need to apply for residence to live in New Zealand. They include:

New Zealand citizens, who must show valid New Zealand passports on entering New Zealand; and
Australian citizens, who must show valid Australian passports on entering New Zealand; and
Australian permanent residents, who must show valid Australian resident return visas on entering New Zealand"

P
I could enter NZ now and stay and work for 5 years. My troubles start when I go to leave for a holiday as the visa has "not valid for entry after 2008". In normal circumstances I would apply for an RRV or citizenship and a passport but because I have not maintained 2 years residence in Oz I would be ineligible.

That is why I suggest gaining Aussie citizenship is the best strategy for going to NZ on an Aussie PR.