Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Am I doing this in the right order?!

Am I doing this in the right order?!

Old Feb 12th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default Am I doing this in the right order?!

Hello everyone!
My OH and I are really keen to move to NZ, I have half filled in the EOI and he is currently looking for a job. Things seem to move really slowly, with people getting back to you, but then again Im impatient!

Im now having a little panic about whether we should just submit the EOI without a job offer, but we cant go with out a job. Or just wait?!!
When do we put the house on the market?! When do I start to sort? When should I send my certificates certified (Im a teacher, so need to do this and read that it takes weeks to do!!)

All the questions and panic and NZ arent even aware of us, I can only imagine what panic will decend if we get the go ahead....

Please tell me Im not mad and everyone does this!!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I doing this in the right order?!

Hi zoexr,
The first thing I did was make a looooong list of everything I needed to do!

There are teachers on BE so I am sure someone will come along and point you in the right direction.
You can still be filling in you EOI and saving it as you go. This way you can just add bits and pieces to it as and when needed.

Last edited by RobDon; Feb 12th 2010 at 9:17 pm. Reason: misread op
Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:37 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Our house took an age to sell, but with the current economic climate, things may have changed.
A few things to add to your ever growing list.

How's the market for your size of house where you are?
Are you willing to sell cheap if it gets a quick sale?
Do you need a better exchange rate than what's currently on offer to you for a large sum? The kiwi dollar is strong against sterling at the mo.
Would you be willing to come with no fixed job offer and be confident of finding work whn you get here? This could alter your visa requirements.
Where in NZ do you want to come to? A teaching job in certain areas is less attractive than others, you need to check on demand for you as well as the OH.

As for sorting, you could do it the week before you pack your container, it gives you a kick up the bum and means you don't miss too much crap that's sat in the loft for ten years.

Best of luck though, it's well worth the hassle.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

If your quals need to go to NZQA then I'd go ahead and do that, can be slow at times, and then get on with the registration, you won't be able to teach without it. And...it'll be a couple of boxes ticked, eh? Good luck
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by zoexr
Hello everyone!
My OH and I are really keen to move to NZ, I have half filled in the EOI and he is currently looking for a job. Things seem to move really slowly, with people getting back to you, but then again Im impatient!

Im now having a little panic about whether we should just submit the EOI without a job offer, but we cant go with out a job. Or just wait?!!
When do we put the house on the market?! When do I start to sort? When should I send my certificates certified (Im a teacher, so need to do this and read that it takes weeks to do!!)

All the questions and panic and NZ arent even aware of us, I can only imagine what panic will decend if we get the go ahead....

Please tell me Im not mad and everyone does this!!
Hi!

Best to get your teaching certificates off to NZQA for assessment asap really, this can take a while.. If you have PGCE there shouldn't be a problem but if you went the GTP route I wouldn't even bother sending it off to NZQA as they don't recognise it

Lol! You're not mad, there is a lot to get your head around and organise!

Best of luck
Old Feb 13th 2010, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Thanks so much for all your replies!

I want to send off my qualifications sent off, but my OH thinks that if we don't accepted then it will be a waste of a few hundred dollars! I will have to put my foot down...

My OH's job will determine where we go, he needs a cardiography department in a biggish hospital. AND he doesn't drive but I do, so I will be commuting.

I got bored today and sorted (threw out) loads of cr*p!

Im going to write a giant list now....
Thanks
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zoexr
Thanks so much for all your replies!

I want to send off my qualifications sent off, but my OH thinks that if we don't accepted then it will be a waste of a few hundred dollars! I will have to put my foot down...

My OH's job will determine where we go, he needs a cardiography department in a biggish hospital. AND he doesn't drive but I do, so I will be commuting.

I got bored today and sorted (threw out) loads of cr*p!

Im going to write a giant list now....
Thanks
Hi zoexr

I noticed you have mentioned about getting your qualifications sent off. Me and my hubby are using an agent and its the first thing he has advised us to do. That way, when we submit our eoi we will know that we are claiming the correct points.

Also I noticed you wrote a 'few hundred dollars'. Ours have just been submitted and it cost us 770nzd each plus 40nzd each to get our documents returned. A grand total of... wait for it... £706 and a few pence Just thought I'd give you a better idea of how much they're gonna sting you for! You would think for 770 dollars they would include the postage

I know what you mean about the confusion, so many things to take on board, so many things to sort out. We're just starting the process and my mind is one big muddle

Hope all goes well. Keep us posted on how your getting on with your lists etc!!! Best of luck with it all