British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Am I alone..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/am-i-alone-579616/)

Scouse Dave Dec 21st 2008 5:31 am

Am I alone.....

...in being the only one working this Christmas? Every sod seems to be off until at least March, yet I'll be there alone. This is, of course, because I'm going to the UK in April so am frantically saving holiday for then.

But, who else is just taking the statutory days off?

BEVS Dec 21st 2008 5:59 am

Re: Am I alone.....

You are not alone.

We are working up and over Christmas and New Year but are having three weeks off mid Jan for our first ever visitors in 5 years. :) We need the paid holiday time and we also need the money . If we can get a bit extra work locally over any of the festive two week shut-down, then we will take it.

Also wanting to see our elderly parents back in the UK again this 2009 . 80 odd years each. :wub: We didn't have the funds this year, so have to find a way to fund a trip back to the UK for next year. We only have one each left and just would prefer to see them alive and kicking. So very precious are those that you love and that love you.

So, Scouse Dave, You are not alone .

Merry Christmas to You whatever we are both doing at that time.

Kimi-Deacon Dec 21st 2008 7:09 am

We are also in the same position as you Dave, Mike is working over Christmas and New Year, only taking Statutory days off ,as we also want to save his holiday for when family come out.

One bonus at least you get two long weekends over the holiday period, makes a change for it to be Mike working, i worked in Healthcare in the UK so its normally me working over Christmas.

simonmarkellis Dec 21st 2008 7:40 am

I'm working through as we're off to Queenstown at the end of Jan...

chocolate cake Dec 21st 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 7087527)
We are also in the same position as you Dave, Mike is working over Christmas and New Year, only taking Statutory days off ,as we also want to save his holiday for when family come out.

One bonus at least you get two long weekends over the holiday period, makes a change for it to be Mike working, i worked in Healthcare in the UK so its normally me working over Christmas.

Yep, likewise, just the stats. It actually works out quite well this year as you say with two long w/ends. I'm heading away on the second one walking for a few days.
In the UK I pretty much always had to to take the time off and unless you go away somewhere it does drag on abit, well in the middle of winter it did.

nelsonpom Dec 21st 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave (Post 7087410)
...in being the only one working this Christmas? Every sod seems to be off until at least March, yet I'll be there alone. This is, of course, because I'm going to the UK in April so am frantically saving holiday for then.

Working thru just having Xmas day off then back for boxing day and the rest. But catering is like that and the extra money is funding a couple of weeks down south at the beginning of Feb, so its not all bad. :thumbsup:

kimberleyclarke2 Dec 21st 2008 7:49 pm

Im working over christmas aswel :( only got christmas day and boxing day off then my OH is back at work on the sat. Im back monday after!

JoJo76 Dec 21st 2008 8:17 pm

Nope, I'm working Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. All New year off though :thumbup:

The fighting over the off duty and who got what last year started in August :lol:

Kimi-Deacon Dec 21st 2008 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis (Post 7087564)
I'm working through as we're off to Queenstown at the end of Jan...

Only you and Mike keeping shop open in Welly then Simon :eek:

simonmarkellis Dec 21st 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kimi-Deacon (Post 7089035)
Only you and Mike keeping shop open in Welly then Simon :eek:

Could well be... hope the pubs are open?

harrogate girl Dec 31st 2008 3:01 am

Originally Posted by Scouse Dave (Post 7087410)

Hi dont be too sad after all you are going back to the UK in April lots of people on this forum would give a right hand to go back so good luck to you and Bev when you do go back... and look at it this way you should not put any more KGs on:thumbup: as the rest of use may well do so while you are working but you will need to slim for real fish and chips and a nice English pub;) still you should have a good New Year with a few drinks... will still be had by all later on to night:thumbsup::thumbsup:

howden40 Jan 1st 2009 11:15 am

You are not alone.

I can count the number of times I've had christmas or New Year off in the last 25 years on one hand and still have fingers left over.

Pauline