Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Am feeling really homesick today

Am feeling really homesick today

Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Am feeling really homesick today

We've been in nz for 6 weeks now and things are slowly coming together.
Out of the blue today i got up and felt really homesick.
I spent most of the day at work feeling pretty miserable thinking about all
the stuff i've left back in the uk.
Its not material stuff its more a feeling of belonging.
really miss the familiarity of people and places i used to know.
I dont regret coming and i know this will pass but right now i'd give anything
to be able to have a starbucks coffee in the Trafford centre and sit watching all the chavs go by.
thats how desperate i feel right now.
Oh well tomorrows another day.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am feeling really homesick today

Originally Posted by colandros
to be able to have a starbucks coffee in the Trafford centre and sit watching all the chavs go by.

Oh I know exactally where you are coming from and belive me it's quite natural to feel like this. What I wouldn't give to be sitting watching the world go by at the Metrocentre !!! and I've been here 5 years. Home sickness...... still gets me on the odd occasion.
Also..... tomorrow really is another day and usually my boughts of HS are the 24 hour ones.

Pamper yourself.... eat chocolate.... treat yourself to something new to wear, anything that gives you that little buzz, that little feel good factor. This is a miserable time of year anyway in NZ...... the sun does shine eventually.

Cheers
Gill
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

It really is a painfull thing aint it!
I get it a hell of alot and nothing can help you stop that feeliing while its there.
Just remember......IT WILL PASS, although never quite feels like it would, but it WILL.
Take a look at the UK newspapers online and sometimes it makes you put things into prospective.
Hope you feel better tomorrow, I am sure you will.

Nici
Old Aug 5th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

There's no Starbucks in Cambridge, Waikato?

My first homesick was just after a week (I actually cried ) I missed my dear friends /loving people. and places i used to know.

well.. sure You will miss them and it is because those people meant soo much to you.

My second and the worst homesickness was after 6 months! ( I am not sure why ... why it took 6 months? )

You know what, today I feel another homesick too - I miss British Curry............................................. .................................
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Hi Colandros

You're really not alone, most, if not all, on here get homesick at some point or other.

Every now and again I have a damn good blubbing session and at the end of the day go to bed with eyes that look like an advert for a road map.

I get up next morning still feeling a little low, but as the day goes on it gets better and then I think "you big numpty"

Keep your chin up and take it a day at a time.

Cheers

Catkin
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:29 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Aw it will pass but it's horrible while you're going through it. I've only been homesick when my niece and nephew were born and it's horrible knowing you can't give them a cuddle. At least on here you know that almost everyone has been through the same thing and knows exactly how you feel. {{hugs}}
Old Aug 5th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Col, sorry to hear you're feeling down Tell you what start making a list of things (make them small!!) you and Ros really miss from the UK and I'll do my best to bring you some goodies in October - or would that make it worse?
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Practical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant futurePractical has a brilliant future

So you'd really like to sit drinking 'awful' Starbucks coffee watching the SUMMER RAIN pour down again and again and again ...why don't we swap ?! I'll come over there and get homesick and you can come over here and get very wet ..LOL .Hang in there it's only nostalgia ,believe me.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all
I know it'll pass i've been through it before when we moved to OZ
many years ago (that one didnt last)
Fiona the only thing i really miss at the moment is knor tuna & pasta bake mix.
I used to make it for tea every friday night and it just aint the same here.
we've already got a red cross parcel on order
Old Aug 5th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers all
I know it'll pass i've been through it before when we moved to OZ
many years ago (that one didnt last)
Fiona the only thing i really miss at the moment is knor tuna & pasta bake mix.
I used to make it for tea every friday night and it just aint the same here.
we've already got a red cross parcel on order
Know what you mean, I used to have Galaxy chocolate and OXO cubes sent out! Now I have the problem in reverse and pester people visiting UK to bring me Perky Nana bars, sad aren't I
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:28 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Oh I know exactally where you are coming from and belive me it's quite natural to feel like this. What I wouldn't give to be sitting watching the world go by at the Metrocentre !!! and I've been here 5 years. Home sickness...... still gets me on the odd occasion.
Also..... tomorrow really is another day and usually my boughts of HS are the 24 hour ones.

Pamper yourself.... eat chocolate.... treat yourself to something new to wear, anything that gives you that little buzz, that little feel good factor. This is a miserable time of year anyway in NZ...... the sun does shine eventually.

Cheers
Gill
Yes agree with Gill, ive been here just over 1 year...the winter makes you feel worse anyway... yesterday the sun shone and 16 degrees...then it makes you feel lots better...I would rather drink Starbucks here any day...no rather a flat white....lol

and you honestly dont want to see the chavs....promise you...
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:54 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Aw it is so horrible isn't it? I think pretty much everyone has their moments, I know I do.
I just became an aunt last week and I have been miserable knowing that I wont be there, it was even worse yesterday when my sister-in-law said, the beds made up in the spare room, we'd love you to come over, I thought that was the nicest thing considering they are brand new parents just learning the ropes with a new baby, so that caused another bout of howling from me!
Also the weathers been so rubbish!

Under normal circumstances my homesickness comes i at really odd times, like driving home in the afternoon marvelling at the beautiful place we live in, then all of a sudden thinking my mum is asleep just now on the otherside of the world...

Its such a strong emotion and you have my sympathy, only good thing is is passes!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Awww.....it seems we have all been there. It is horrible. I agree, have a treat of some sort...I sometimes drive myself out to the west coast of Auckland, and watch the sea roll in and have a walk on the beach. Makes me remember one of the many things I love about in NZ!

I torture myself though....a few weeks ago I dreamt I had done a huge supermarket shop at Marks and Spencers food, with all the things I love (i.e. crappy sweets and biccies) I woke up so excited....then realised I was in NZ
That certainly is a way to make you feel homesick!!!!!!!!

Something that always cheers me up though is to have a good ol' chin wag with a mate from home on the phone. Catch up on the gossip, and be like you are just there with them.

Don't worry....summer is coming! It is a smug feeling being warm outside in the northern hemisphere winter months!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:57 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Know what you mean, I used to have Galaxy chocolate and OXO cubes sent out! Now I have the problem in reverse and pester people visiting UK to bring me Perky Nana bars, sad aren't I
I can get oxo cubes at pac and save and galaxy chocolate at the brit shops...not that I do (get galaxy i mean)

I love the Rocky road choc , ok need to diet
Old Aug 6th 2008, 12:15 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I've been away from the Uk for 18 years - albeit a lot closer than you living as i do in italy but it still felt like millions of miles away sometimes ........ and still does occasionally.

What I never had 18 years ago was email and messenger etc. I spent many a wrist breaking hour writing letters and many a hard earned bloody lira on phone cards - yep - didn't even have my own phone in my flat and mobiles - forget it !

It is so much easier these days to stay in touch and though it doesn't always help the kind people on this site can and really do help. They really are the ones who have been there and lived trhough it. If i'd found something like this 18 years ago I know that I could have spent a lot of nights chatting to people instead of crying my heart out ----- and trying to cope with bloody Italian as well !!!!!!

Chin up - at least you're not struggling with anew language as well - well - not all of it - lol

Good luck !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.