Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Altrincham or Auckland?

Altrincham or Auckland?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Altrincham or Auckland?

not sure how you can compare the two really, there has to be more considerations than the difference between two places when thinking of moving just about as far as you possibly can! am i wrong!? you could compare Altrincham with Glasgow!!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Wilderbeest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for your input
Old Jul 24th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilderbeest
It's hardly a million dollar question, but if you had the choice to either move to Altrincham which is a very well to do area in the UK, with good schools (in Trafford) or move to Auckland, which would you choose and why?

Our main reason for considering NZ is that we think long-term it would be better for bringing up our daughter and that our quality of life would be better than in the UK.

We haven't got our NZ visas yet so just trying to weigh up our options.

Thanks
B
If it helps you any Wilderbeast as a Kiwi married to a Brit who spent 5 years living in Altrincham ....

The areas you are considering are very good areas of Auckland. And yes your children may well spend more time at school studying topics that are unfamiliar to those you are accustomed to in the UK. But they will have a wider picture of life in general. Auckland is a vast region and it does not begin nor end in Queen Street. IMHO you will not have the class issues that I found when living in your home town.

Most importantly remember that NZ is not a small version of the UK. It is a few islands in the pacific and your expectations will probably determine how well you adjust to life here.

Good luck whatever you decide. All I can add is that my three sons benefited so much from the experience of life abroad and IMHO is why they now live a life that is balanced and expansive.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Wilderbeest is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bellasmum for your input too. I'm optimistic that NZ will be best for our daughter...even though it has flying cockroaches
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bellasmum for your input too. I'm optimistic that NZ will be best for our daughter...even though it has flying cockroaches
I have never seen a cockroache in any house I have lived in, but I have seen them in hospitals I have worked in around food areas at night time.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

It's hardly a million dollar question, but if you had the choice to either move to Altrincham which is a very well to do area in the UK, with good schools (in Trafford) or move to Auckland, which would you choose and why?

Our main reason for considering NZ is that we think long-term it would be better for bringing up our daughter and that our quality of life would be better than in the UK.

Thanks
B

It's gotta be AUCKLAND! Hands down!

(I used to live in Cheshire, now live in Auckland, it doesn't compare, way better down here ).

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jul 25th 2009 at 3:15 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I have never seen a cockroache in any house I have lived in, but I have seen them in hospitals I have worked in around food areas at night time.
I think he means "weta."

Wetas fly don't they? I've never seen a flying cockroach neither

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jul 25th 2009 at 3:17 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

We only spent 2 days in Auckland city and I didn't really like it that much but now we would be looking at living approx 20 min commute by car from the city.

Titirangi in West Auckland is a 25min commute and really beautiful. (I love it anyway). It's a national park heritage area, rainforest and surfing beaches, quite idyllic, has a charming village with a nice small cafe culture...I always feel like I'm on holiday there....and find any excuse to be there, even if I have to just post a letter or pick up dinner, I head to the village just to soak up the cruisey atmosphere. LOL. Tis very pleasant indeed and with the city just down the road, provides the best of both worlds, imho....

Last edited by Elizabeth I; Jul 25th 2009 at 3:28 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I
I think he means "weta."

Wetas fly don't they? I've never seen a flying cockroach neither
I have never seen a weta or a cockroache fly myself.

Whe I was child the wetas used to crawl out of the teatree in the open fire when it got too hot for them and walk around on the carpet. As kids we used to let them walk up are legs and arms.

We used to keep weta's as pets at school as part of our science projects but I was never allowed to keep them at home.

Dad used to take them back out into the bush and let them go.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/docume...al/misc001.pdf
Old Jul 25th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

chrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to allchrisjb is a name known to all

Thanks
B
We live in Altrincham, and are currently completing ITA, so I guess we have the same considerations.
You said that your other half has a job Offer already, one thing that concerns me are the job opportunities once in NZ. I would guess that the North West of England has a bigger economy than the whole of NZ?

Whilst schools aren't a factor for me, I do know the local state Grammar schools are amongst the best in the country.

Yes the Cheshire countryside is nice when it isn't raining!!!
however i've been to Auckland, and some of the beaches to the north are fantastic. Have you visited Auckland at all?
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:14 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you have a wonderful opportunity for an adventure. Go and have fun. Since your main priority is the lifestyle for your daughter, you have plenty of time before she starts school to sus the place out and come back to the UK if you find it wanting in that regard. Whether you stay or return, it will have been a great experience for you. In fact it is easier now that if she were in school and you had further children to worry about.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I have never seen a weta or a cockroache fly myself.

Whe I was child the wetas used to crawl out of the teatree in the open fire when it got too hot for them and walk around on the carpet. As kids we used to let them walk up are legs and arms.

We used to keep weta's as pets at school as part of our science projects but I was never allowed to keep them at home.

Dad used to take them back out into the bush and let them go.

Aw, what a delightful story, thanks for sharing.