Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Alternative culture in NZ

Alternative culture in NZ

Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of
Default Alternative culture in NZ

Hi Everyone!

My OH is into the "alternative" stuff - Reiki healing, Crystal healing, Shamanism, Organic foods, Steiner schooling, NLP, etc etc. She is not what you would call a full-on "earth mother" type - you cant really if your favourite place to shop is Karen Millen!

Was just wondering if anyone could recommend areas or places in NZ that have more of an alternative poulation or alternative culture reputation?

Hoping we can check it out a bit on our month long trip in January!

(In fact I might just leave her in one of these places and go off diving for the whole month!)

Cheers in advance for your replies!

Dave
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Alternative culture in NZ

Originally Posted by Paladin
Hi Everyone!

My OH is into the "alternative" stuff - Reiki healing, Crystal healing, Shamanism, Organic foods, Steiner schooling, NLP, etc etc. She is not what you would call a full-on "earth mother" type - you cant really if your favourite place to shop is Karen Millen!

Was just wondering if anyone could recommend areas or places in NZ that have more of an alternative poulation or alternative culture reputation?

(In fact I might just leave her in one of these places and go off diving for the whole month!)

Cheers in advance for your replies!

Dave
Dave,
Would love to help but haven't got a clue what you are talking about, so can't ...sorry, alternative healing over here is when the kiwis say "she'll be alrite" cause they don't want to pay for the doctor!!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
Dave,
Would love to help but haven't got a clue what you are talking about, so can't ...sorry, alternative healing over here is when the kiwis say "she'll be alrite" cause they don't want to pay for the doctor!!!
I have heard that Nelson has leanings in this area..by contrast I would be surprised if parts of the Northlands are not also given to the same.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Genesis
I have heard that Nelson has leanings in this area..by contrast I would be surprised if parts of the Northlands are not also given to the same.
Cheers, yep i had heard Nelson had leanings to the "alternative" side - my Kiwi friend here says we should visit there, apparently Nelson's a pretty nice place to live, lots of sunshine hours due to its location for some reason.
I noticed Mazi mention Raglan on one of his posts on the negative NZ thread but I don't know anything about that area.
We'll be in Northland on our visit in Jan/Feb so will be checking that area out!
Thanks,
Dave
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

The tip of the Coromandel, around Whitianga is pretty hippyfied. The real alternative bunch used to live on Waiheke Island until the JAFAs kicked them off, then they moved to Great Barrier Island.

For the ultimate in hippy culture, check out Jerusalem on the banks of the Whanganui river - that's where James (Hemi) K Baxter did his commune thing in the early 70s.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IainW
The tip of the Coromandel, around Whitianga is pretty hippyfied. The real alternative bunch used to live on Waiheke Island until the JAFAs kicked them off, then they moved to Great Barrier Island.

For the ultimate in hippy culture, check out Jerusalem on the banks of the Whanganui river - that's where James (Hemi) K Baxter did his commune thing in the early 70s.
Cheers!

Clare will love this info - much appreciated. Personally I'll be happy as long as I can go diving lots and there's a decent cafe serving quality coffee and preferably a good Indian take away/restaurant nearby!

Although I have a few Buddhist attitudes to things(except money LOL!) I wouldn't put myself in the hippy category - don't know many hippy currency traders!
Clare's the one really into the alternative stuff - gotta find a balance there somehow!

I'm also possibly setting up a business in NZ to train people to trade the FOREX(currency market) so need to be able to get to Auckland, Wellington at least fairly easily in order to run courses/seminars!

Thanks again!
Dave
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:30 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, yep i had heard Nelson had leanings to the "alternative" side - my Kiwi friend here says we should visit there, apparently Nelson's a pretty nice place to live, lots of sunshine hours due to its location for some reason.
I noticed Mazi mention Raglan on one of his posts on the negative NZ thread but I don't know anything about that area.
We'll be in Northland on our visit in Jan/Feb so will be checking that area out!
Thanks,
Dave
Ah, that's not fair. Come on, I mentioned Raglan on the 'everything's great' thread (twice!)! Raglan is indeed a bit new age, full of people who got lost on their way back from Glastonbury, and all the more exciting for it BUT (sorry this is a bit negative) it's too close to bleedin' Hamilton for comfort which is the most unalternative place on the planet.

And please note, I'm a laydee...
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:42 am
Account Closed

Lots of the Coromandel is alternative - they have workers' cooperatives and communes (but they don't advertise the second thing and hide in the bush). They seem to grow a LOT of their own fruit and veg, which they sell in the workers' coops, and another strange-looking green plant, which they don't sell in the workers' coops.

And they wear orange and red and purple and green and sky blue, they paint and make, make and paint...and they are very jolly indeed.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mazi
Ah, that's not fair. Come on, I mentioned Raglan on the 'everything's great' thread (twice!)! Raglan is indeed a bit new age, full of people who got lost on their way back from Glastonbury, and all the more exciting for it BUT (sorry this is a bit negative) it's too close to bleedin' Hamilton for comfort which is the most unalternative place on the planet.

And please note, I'm a laydee...

OOPS! My mistake(genuine mistake, honest!) - apologies on 2 counts then!!!

My OH is doing a Shamanic Healing course in Glastonbury currently - sounds like she'd love Raglan then!!!
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Lots of the Coromandel is alternative - they have workers' cooperatives and communes (but they don't advertise the second thing and hide in the bush). They seem to grow a LOT of their own fruit and veg, which they sell in the workers' coops, and another strange-looking green plant, which they don't sell in the workers' coops.

And they wear orange and red and purple and green and sky blue, they paint and make, make and paint...and they are very jolly indeed.
Oh good grief! Are you sure you're not describing Stroud in the Cotswolds where I live!!!

Heaven help me!!!! My OH every so often has a yearning to live in a yurt, which I have so far manged to resist!!! Thank god!! Sounds like she could have her yurt fix up in Coromandel!! I prefer somewhere with running water personally! :scared:

Cheers Lady Mazi!!!!

Dave
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:59 am
Account Closed

OOPS! My mistake(genuine mistake, honest!) - apologies on 2 counts then!!!

My OH is doing a Shamanic Healing course in Glastonbury currently - sounds like she'd love Raglan then!!!
No problem!

Does your OH have a large stick that she carries evrywhere? Because it's the law in Glastonbury.

Slight word of warning - the average Kiwi (Sorry for the generalisation! I'm taking the average of the people I encountered.) does not 'do' or like alternative or different. Do not expect them all to find you interesting (the odd one will; trying to be very careful here about not upsetting the ones who do embrace the 'other'), you will mostly be expected to toe the conservative line. I'd say more but it's not the negative thread.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

No problem!

Does your OH have a large stick that she carries evrywhere? Because it's the law in Glastonbury.

Slight word of warning - the average Kiwi (Sorry for the generalisation! I'm taking the average of the people I encountered.) does not 'do' or like alternative or different. Do not expect them all to find you interesting (the odd one will; trying to be very careful here about not upsetting the ones who do embrace the 'other'), you will mostly be expected to toe the conservative line. I'd say more but it's not the negative thread.
ROFL!!

She may be fairly alternative, but not like some of those crazies you see on Glastonbury high street in her defence! I wouldn't classify my beloved as a hippy for sure - more your middle class designer clothes kinda alternative!

dave
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:18 am
Account Closed

ROFL!!

middle class designer clothes
Not in NZ, pal!

What's ROFL? I think I get the FL part but what about the RO? (Bit fick sometimes.)
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Not in NZ, pal!

What's ROFL? I think I get the FL part but what about the RO? (Bit fick sometimes.)
Rolling On Floor Laughing
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Rolling On Floor Laughing
ah. Fick, see. Got hit over the head with a Glasto stick many moons ago by a chap who took umbridge when I told him that "The trees are for everyone, man. You shouldn't take them for yourself.". Or maybe it was the special cake in the Rainbow's End cafe that did for the brain...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.