British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Almost ready for citizenship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/almost-ready-citizenship-669728/)

pricklykina May 25th 2010 9:58 pm

Almost ready for citizenship

After hearing about the rigmarole of applying for uk passports at the post shop, I am now thinking that citizenship might not be such a bad deal after all, then I can get my black passport toute suite.
And I haven't had a party for a long time - it'll be like an extra birthday where people give me chocolate fish and Pav

pixi-dust May 25th 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Almost ready for citizenship

:D I discovered a new good reason to get citizenship - cheap further ed courses - we're going on a cheese making course and it's only $20 if you are a citizen - worth it just for that :lol::lol:

BEVS May 25th 2010 10:21 pm

To be fair, I just renewed my UK passport just because I wanted to & it was all done and dusted in under 10 minutes at the post shop. So really very easy in the end.

Citizenship is great to have though, for all sorts of reasons ,not least because we have chosen to live here.

Genesis May 25th 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust (Post 8589675)
:D I discovered a new good reason to get citizenship - cheap further ed courses - we're going on a cheese making course and it's only $20 if you are a citizen - worth it just for that :lol::lol:

Hi, how long did your citizenship take fron sending the applications to getting it please? I know the time line is 4 months odd but I was wondering how long it takes in reality! We too need passports and the 5 years for us is not up till 6th June. So we can't send our applications off till then. We need our passports for mid Nov. I guess we could apply see how it goes and if we had not got citizenship by end of Sept. then go for UK passports.

pricklykina May 25th 2010 10:25 pm

and it means that I could be a politician in my dotage :thumbup:
or not get deported if I did something dodgy :sneaky:

but ten minutes you say... now that is easy!

I figure that i would only need one passport as I have to go through customs with my kiwi daughter when i travel to the uk and I don't go anywhere else apart from OZ

BEVS May 25th 2010 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by pixi-dust (Post 8589675)
I discovered a new good reason to get citizenship - cheap further ed courses - we're going on a cheese making course and it's only $20 if you are a citizen - worth it just for that

Sorry PK for going a bit off topic now.

Where did you look to get that price for the cheese-making course PD . I've been looking around for ages now and a one day course is coming in at around $150 :ohmy:

Genesis May 25th 2010 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8589690)
To be fair, I just renewed my UK passport just because I wanted to & it was all done and dusted in under 10 minutes at the post shop. So really very easy in the end.

Citizenship is great to have though, for all sorts of reasons ,not least because we have chosen to live here.

Hi Bevs, what time line have the Postshop put on getting your UK ones back please?

BEVS May 25th 2010 10:33 pm

She gave me a 6 week time frame , but we could time this for real.

I put in the application and it was provisionally checked at the Post Shop on the 20th May. 6 days and counting.......

pricklykina May 25th 2010 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8589712)

:ohmy:

I am the queen of O/T - take it where you like.
I like cheese

BEVS May 25th 2010 10:40 pm

Pixi's timeline for her citizenship

Our citizenship timeline - bear in mind I was away during this period for a few months so that stretched our dates a bit.

HTH

pricklykina May 25th 2010 10:45 pm

well my passport is out of date so by that reckoning time scale I still need to go to the post shop.
I may still have to put off citizenship then as can't afford both in the same quarter
At least it's only me though, being surrounded by genuine kiwis as I am

thanks for that BEVS:thumbup:

pixi-dust May 25th 2010 11:23 pm

Ah BEVS thanks for that - I knew I had posted it somewhere!

The courses - I looked at North Tec.
http://www.northland.ac.nz/Pages/ACE.aspx

obviously that is for up here but I'l bet you have something like that in Nelson - and more choice most likely!
We're thinking of the Pizza Oven one too :)

nelsonpom May 25th 2010 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8589712)

Where did you look to get that price for the cheese-making course PD . I've been looking around for ages now and a one day course is coming in at around $150 :ohmy:

Hey Bevs we have done a cheese course in Nelson learnt how to make feta, paneer and one other. The lady who organised it has a shop in Mapua. If your interested will ask the wife about cost and contact. I know cheddar course will be more expensive as you need more milk.

BEVS May 26th 2010 12:03 am

You mean Mapua Trading .

I put my name down for more info but never heard anything back. I'm interested in the Feta and husband bought me a starter kit at Christmas which I haven't got round to experimenting with yet.

Did you see the price of their pekin duck eggs during the season? :ohmy: $1 each. I was giving mine away or swapping them. :p

Woodpigeon May 26th 2010 2:52 am

Just thought I'd add (in case you're not aware) that once you've been granted citizenship you then have to apply for a NZ passport (if you want one) - they don't get given to you automatically with your citizenship certificate.

We had a bit of a mad rush to get son's NZ passport after our citizenship was granted cos he wanted to use it to travel. Citizenship was granted in early October, and his passport came through in time for him to travel mid/late November.