Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

For all you teachers out there ...

For all you teachers out there ...

Old Sep 11th 2009, 2:29 am
Just Joined

jo_hedge will become famous soon enoughjo_hedge will become famous soon enough
Default For all you teachers out there ...

Have just got my final salary assessment from the Salary Assessment Unit in Christchurch. Cheeky buggers have only given me half-credit for the 5 years I spent employed as a peripatetic music teacher. Have yet to find out why - they don't actually speak to you in person on the phone. They will only speak to principals/finance officers ... ooh get you! Obviously they think that I couldn't have done any teaching during that time. I must have imagined teaching the 100+ kids per week the violin & the 90+ kids the recorder. I guess they just managed to absorb how to play from the air & I was just a spare part in the room. As you can guess - let battle commence. I'm actually quite insulted & find this attitude offensive. By the way, I was a classroom teacher for 5 years before the music teaching, & 2 years afterwards. So if any of you out there are wanting to move to NZ & have done peri teaching - they won't class it as being a 'proper' teacher. So arrive armed with ammunition for the battle to have your teaching expertise recognised.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 3:29 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all you teachers out there ...

Hi Jo

I am not a teacher in any way ( although I am a parent helper) but your low assessment could be because as a general rule in NZ, there is no such thing as a music teacher in shools. Most kids have private tuition that has nothing to do with their school, unless they are studying at NCEA level.

Hopefully someone who is in 'the know' will be able to advice you in how to get the best possible outcome from your situation

Good Luck
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future
Default Re: For all you teachers out there ...

Originally Posted by jo_hedge
Have just got my final salary assessment from the Salary Assessment Unit in Christchurch. Cheeky buggers have only given me half-credit for the 5 years I spent employed as a peripatetic music teacher. Have yet to find out why - they don't actually speak to you in person on the phone. They will only speak to principals/finance officers ... ooh get you! Obviously they think that I couldn't have done any teaching during that time. I must have imagined teaching the 100+ kids per week the violin & the 90+ kids the recorder. I guess they just managed to absorb how to play from the air & I was just a spare part in the room. As you can guess - let battle commence. I'm actually quite insulted & find this attitude offensive. By the way, I was a classroom teacher for 5 years before the music teaching, & 2 years afterwards. So if any of you out there are wanting to move to NZ & have done peri teaching - they won't class it as being a 'proper' teacher. So arrive armed with ammunition for the battle to have your teaching expertise recognised.
Hi there from a common or garden teacher - hoping you get the recognition for your peripatetic teaching - certainly seems unfair! Be good to hear how you get on