Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

for all those having doubts or second thoughts

for all those having doubts or second thoughts

Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default for all those having doubts or second thoughts

We've been in NZ for one week today.
We,ve had a lot of running around to do, sorting cars, schools
and house rentals out but its not been to difficult.
EVERYONE here is really helpfull and friendly, we've been stopped twice in the street already by people we've bumped into earlier in the week.
We've been out to peoples houses for family meals twice and our new friends
seem to be falling over themselves to help us out with offers of furniture and
stuff we can borrow for our rental place until our stuff arrives from the uk.
so try not to dwell on your fears of the unknown and go for it.
You wont regret it, this place is wonderful
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: for all those having doubts or second thoughts

What a fab thread .. sounds lovely.

We fly out in 6 weeks time, so really hope we experience the same
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

So glad you've had a lovely first week. It really is an exciting and scary time in your life. I hope you continue to enjoy
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you have had a positive start to your stay in NZ. Good to hear this for those of us still to get there. Thanks for this

Phyllis
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

ErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant futureErikR has a brilliant future

We've been here (Wellington) now for 2 weeks and it has been nothing short of fantastic. Generally everyone has been very helpful and relaxed and we've been amazed how easy it is to arrange things like a bank account, buying a car, getting it fully insured and finding a *fantastic* rental place out in Eastbourne. We're right at the sea, with a stunning view of Wellington and the entire bay - the neighbours are just great and everyone has made us feel very welcome here.

Although everything has been very easy, we did feel the emotional strain of actually unrooting yourself and "planting" yourself on the other side of the planet. It's hard to describe or explain - no matter how smooth things go, the entire process does require a huge amount of "emotional energy".

New Zealand isn't paradise of course but we are definitely enjoying the change from life in Europe. No idea how long we're going to be here but we're definitely enjoying every second of it so far!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:55 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colandros
We've been in NZ for one week today.
We,ve had a lot of running around to do, sorting cars, schools
and house rentals out but its not been to difficult.
EVERYONE here is really helpfull and friendly, we've been stopped twice in the street already by people we've bumped into earlier in the week.
We've been out to peoples houses for family meals twice and our new friends
seem to be falling over themselves to help us out with offers of furniture and
stuff we can borrow for our rental place until our stuff arrives from the uk.
so try not to dwell on your fears of the unknown and go for it.
You wont regret it, this place is wonderful
Thx Colandros,

This is great... sounds like it has been good so far. Must admit though, its real nice to hear the success stories.

I just hope its the same for us when we come over.

Good luck.
C xx
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:33 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

colandros, this was our experience too, three years ago. People we didn't know couldn't do enough for us, lending us furniture etc. Glad you're enjoying yourselves, long may it continue!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:57 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We had similar experience too which certainly made it a less daunting experience. It takes a while to feel settled again and to feel in control, grounded and confident with dealing with how everyday things work. It really helps when the container arrives though and you get all your personal things back around you safe and sound.

I remember when we found out our container was in port but we couldn't have it delivered for a day or two, OH had to stop me from going down there to camp out!! I didn't care about the furniture, I just wanted to know all my photos and keepsakes and the valueless but irreplacable stuff was safe!

Am really pleased you've had a good start to your new life
Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:59 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear the honeymoon is going well!

Watch out for the "3 month doldrums" though.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:06 am
Just Joined

NZpom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been here 15 years and still love it!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:07 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

I'm so pleased you are experience the good side of people. I love it here and don't want to move, but we still haven't met any of our neighbours.

Tony (hubby) has been to the neightbours on either side to introduce himself but has had no reply when knocking, they are never in the garden to 'bump into'. But when we eventually have our housewarming party they will get a written invite in the post as we have not given up hope of meeting them.

Everyone else is friendly and we are generally content with our lot.
Pauline
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

18 months in and getting better all the time. Roller coaster ride our dip was 6 months but even then could see the good points. Good luck to all those about to make this life changing move!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

NZpom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not religious but every morning (even in the winter) I open the bedroom curtains I thank god that I live in such a beautiful place.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 10:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NZpom
I'm not religious but every morning (even in the winter) I open the bedroom curtains I thank god that I live in such a beautiful place.
We're nearly 15 months in and never had a "what have we done" moment!

It is all we hoped for and more ... but a bit like Genesis I'm a glass better be bloody half full or else whose round is it?