Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

All things British

All things British

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:47 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All things British

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Regarding the television in NZ, Call me Mr John Bull, but the British programs just seem 100 times more interesting than the bland American series, "Northern Lights" and "Life on Mars" BRILLIANT ! Maybe it is just a question of cultural attachment, maybe not. I can just identify with the characters, the humour and they just seem , well, better made , better scripted and do not rely on just thrills . I like some of the Kiwi programs, after being told how bad the TV is before i arrived, i find the Kiwi humour to be hilarious, well i did live in French culture, where Benny Hill is thought to be the Bees Knees of Brit TV.
The yanks love Benny Hill as well... they need brain surgery, I swear! "Coupling" was bought by NBC (I think) over here, and the exact same script was trotted out by American actors. It bombed quite spectacularly.

Do they have body wash adverts in NZ like they do in France? I always had quite the crush on Antoine de Caunes. I loved watching "Nulle Part Ailleurs" and "Les Guignols de l'Info" when I lived there, top stuff!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
The yanks love Benny Hill as well... they need brain surgery, I swear! "Coupling" was bought by NBC (I think) over here, and the exact same script was trotted out by American actors. It bombed quite spectacularly.

Do they have body wash adverts in NZ like they do in France? I always had quite the crush on Antoine de Caunes. I loved watching "Nulle Part Ailleurs" and "Les Guignols de l'Info" when I lived there, top stuff!
NPA is still on the go, when i left anyway, but Les Guignols is reserved for special occasions, maybe it will see the light during the upcoming elections, the one for floppy ineffectual Segolene should be a laugh (It is a copy of English , of course). Maybe you will meet my french-speaking wife at Raumati !
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SarahB
Do you think so?? My mum puts massive choccy bars in her "goodie parcels" from UK and I still reckon it tastes different. At christmas she put in 2 huge bars of Galaxy.... now that was a treat!!
I think it tastes pretty much the same now, it used to be much more bitter but now they dont use as much cocoa ( or so I am lead to believe) mmm galaxy chocolate, now that was lovely
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Regarding the television in NZ, Call me Mr John Bull, but the British programs just seem 100 times more interesting than the bland American series, "Northern Lights" and "Life on Mars" BRILLIANT ! Maybe it is just a question of cultural attachment, maybe not. I can just identify with the characters, the humour and they just seem , well, better made , better scripted and do not rely on just thrills . I like some of the Kiwi programs, after being told how bad the TV is before i arrived, i find the Kiwi humour to be hilarious, well i did live in French culture, where Benny Hill is thought to be the Bees Knees of Brit TV.
Life on Mars is great, dont watch Northern lights, so cant agree or disagree on that one. I do like cold case and CSI...am a convert to those but was in the uk, and can actually blame NZ for getting me into CSI as never watched it until we were on holiday here in 2005...been an avid fan since

Benny Hill..havent seen that for years and cant even remember if I used to find it funny or not
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Mostly I have to agree - Waking the Dead is better I think compared to Cold Case or CSI. I think it's partly to do with the Americans doing 20+ episodes in a season and sometimes dragging it all out too much.

That said I think Heroes has been excellent. E-Ring was great. Also Commander in Chief. The second series of 24 (not seen the rest yet). So there is very good American TV.

Have you seen Outrageous Fortune? We loved that series and it shows NZ can make great comedy drama.
I like Heroes and Commander in chief...and also CSI and Cold case

Also like House with Hugh Laurie in
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:24 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I miss the excitement of seeing the first snowflakes fall - not the rest of it though

I do sometimes long for a BBC programme - nothing in particular mostly, just the atmosphere. Particularly in winter time for some reason. The Antiques Roadshow was for Sunday evenings beside the fire - it's just not the same when I've got to pull the blinds because the sun's glare is too strong I love Outrageous Fortune too. Boston Legal is my all time favourite US made show - who'd have thought that William Shatner could redeem himself in such style? Actually, I can usually find something to watch but don't ever watch more than 2 hours of TV at night now anyway.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 2:29 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I miss the excitement of seeing the first snowflakes fall - not the rest of it though

I do sometimes long for a BBC programme - nothing in particular mostly, just the atmosphere. Particularly in winter time for some reason. The Antiques Roadshow was for Sunday evenings beside the fire - it's just not the same when I've got to pull the blinds because the sun's glare is too strong I love Outrageous Fortune too. Boston Legal is my all time favourite US made show - who'd have thought that William Shatner could redeem himself in such style? Actually, I can usually find something to watch but don't ever watch more than 2 hours of TV at night now anyway.
I very rarely watch TV at all but for a while, I was glued to Boston Legal - it was my hour of TV per week. Tooooo many adverts here though, it puts me off.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:39 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford one, but a Hard Drive DVD player / recorder. Well worth the few 100$.
The ability to FF through the ads and then delete the whole thing afterwards is priceless.
My name is Earl is on during kids story time and I can watch it in about 20 mins afterwards.
Nice
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:54 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Boston Legal is brilliant stuff. As is House. Hugh Laurie plays the part so well.

We download House, Boston legal, Heroes etc to be able to watch in proper widescreen without adverts or bits cut out (Heroes is edited for content on NZ TV)

That's someting I miss - TV broadcasts in widescreen!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:15 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

NPA is still on the go, when i left anyway, but Les Guignols is reserved for special occasions, maybe it will see the light during the upcoming elections, the one for floppy ineffectual Segolene should be a laugh (It is a copy of English , of course). Maybe you will meet my french-speaking wife at Raumati !
Je l'espere bien! Excuse-moi la manque d'accents.

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Boston Legal is brilliant stuff. As is House. Hugh Laurie plays the part so well.

We download House, Boston legal, Heroes etc to be able to watch in proper widescreen without adverts or bits cut out (Heroes is edited for content on NZ TV)

That's someting I miss - TV broadcasts in widescreen!
I loooooove House! Next episode is next Tuesday after American Idol. Dammit I hate the 2-hour episodes!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Campbells
I have been away from the UK (Scotland) for many years and always miss:
  • A good British pub
  • Good British fish n chips (after a pint)
  • A good curry
  • The British sense of humour
  • The BBC (as I do not enjoy adverts, for me they have killed TV entertainment)
  • I loved travelling on the trains in the UK
  • The ability to hop on a plane and be in Greece, Spain etc in a few hours
  • Christmas in the UK

There are things that I don’t miss too and that is why we moved to New Zealand instead of going to the UK 2 years ago.

Some of the things I don’t miss - the freedom to say “Happy Christmas” without supposedly offending people

I started a thread just for a laugh saying whats good about the UK

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432640

and got a fair bit of abuse,

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=432640&page=2

inparticular from people still in the Uk, inc some idiot who said that because i posted at 1204pm then i must be on benefits!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:55 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Biddy
If you can afford one, but a Hard Drive DVD player / recorder. Well worth the few 100$.
The ability to FF through the ads and then delete the whole thing afterwards is priceless.
My name is Earl is on during kids story time and I can watch it in about 20 mins afterwards.
Nice
Media centres are the way to go now. Gettin cheaper & cheaper & you can pick up a bundle with a wide screen for good prices. I used to tape most things onto VHS and do the FF thing. We try to get stuff on DVD now. Very keen to get a HD DVD player but then will be tempted to change some of our collection AGAIN to HD format.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:18 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
I started a thread just for a laugh saying whats good about the UK

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432640

and got a fair bit of abuse,

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=432640&page=2

inparticular from people still in the Uk, inc some idiot who said that because i posted at 1204pm then i must be on benefits!
Well you were asking for it in Take it Outside weren't you
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:22 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I miss having my mail delivered to my inside front doormat. I object strongly, loudly and vociferously most mornings to having to get dressed to go and find - f**k all in the mail box!!
I like the mail box we have bought and I don't miss our last cat trying to post mice through the letterbox, but going out in the rain, hoping, wishing, praying for post - any damn post at all and finding a woodlouse instead is NOT good!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:55 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karonious
I miss having my mail delivered to my inside front doormat. I object strongly, loudly and vociferously most mornings to having to get dressed to go and find - f**k all in the mail box!!
I like the mail box we have bought and I don't miss our last cat trying to post mice through the letterbox, but going out in the rain, hoping, wishing, praying for post - any damn post at all and finding a woodlouse instead is NOT good!
I wonder what would happen if you took your post-box down and put in a letterbox.

We get heaps of junk mail and when it rains ( we don’t get much rain up here in Auckland) we fish-out the soggy local free newspapers. Personally I thought they would have cotten-on by now and have them wrapped in thin cellophane.

Oops, am I being negative towards NZ by saying that. I had better rush off and do my Helen Clark mantras before I get told the solution is to F off out of NZ if I don’t like the post boxes

Can you imagine the incoming flack if you had to do a new topic advising Brits not to come to NZ as they don’t have letterboxes. The BE Police will be on your case in a flash

Cheers & have a great weekend. Looks like our mail is going to be dry this weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.