All things 'baby'

Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

newtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nice
Default All things 'baby'

Not sure where I should be posting this, so apologies if boring/asked before/in the worng place!
We're leaving for NZ shores in June, with 2 children - the youngest being 8mnths. I've seen a thread someplace about nappies & how you all miss Pampers but:
is there anything else I should bring?
what will I miss horribly?
what about formula? what makes are there?
should I bring a supply of Dr Browns teats or are they easy to find?
do they re-cycle disposable nappies in nz?

Still have a thousand & one questions to ask! This process has to be the most stressful thing i've ever done!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 8:41 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All things 'baby'

Originally Posted by newtothis
Not sure where I should be posting this, so apologies if boring/asked before/in the worng place!
We're leaving for NZ shores in June, with 2 children - the youngest being 8mnths. I've seen a thread someplace about nappies & how you all miss Pampers but:
is there anything else I should bring?
what will I miss horribly?
what about formula? what makes are there?
should I bring a supply of Dr Browns teats or are they easy to find?
do they re-cycle disposable nappies in nz?

Still have a thousand & one questions to ask! This process has to be the most stressful thing i've ever done!!!!!
There's a really good choice of formula here, nutricia and Heinz we used. Huggies although crap in the UK are excellent here and possibly better then Pampers. They're the leading brand and worth the extra expense. Trust me, I've tried them all! Baby food - there is an excellent selection here as well we found including a good organic range. There aren't so many bottles and teats ranges, mostly Avent. Don't know anything about recycling nappies, just chuck 'em in the trash! Leave the worrying up to the greenies.

The only difficulty you might find is info about creches and groups, that kind of thing. Also, there are really only two major baby shops here, Baby Factory and Baby City. I find the choice of clothes pretty limited. I miss Babies R Us and Mothercare! But you should find everything else you need. Have a search on google for some info about products here in NZ. Huggies have a website of course which can have links. Errrr, can't think of anything else, hope that helps!

Oh, there is a baby show thing in Auckland and Wellington -http://www.parentandchildshow.co.nz/ thoroughly recommend attending that if you can or you're here in time. It'll introduce you to products and you get lots of samples to try. All in the info you need!

All the best with your move! Good luck with your flight over!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

newtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nicenewtothis is just really nice

Yeah, the flight!!! Haven't got as far as worrying about the flight yet! Think a trip to the doctors is in order!
Thanks for the baby info - my fussy little girl is going to be a shocker swapping formula, I can feel it in my bones!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough
Default Flying with baby!

We have just returned from our recci and the flight was not fun but I don't think it is for anyone just extra stressful with a little'un! We took our 15 month old and luckily he still fitted into a bassinet so we could relax when he was asleep. The lady next to us was on her own travelling with her 8 month old and the baby seemed to be quite happy sitting in the bassinet much of the time leaving her free to eat etc.
If you fly with Air NZ (don't know about other airlines) they will allocate you a bassinet on check in (first come first served if baby over 8 months) and you sit in the front seats so good for legroom - I could stretch my legs out fully and put my feet on the wall - and you don't have anyone in front of you reclining. We found our toddler slept a fair part of the journey - I think the hum of the aircraft and slight motion - along with odd turbulence - acted a bit like being in a car in lulling him to sleep. But when he was awake we obviously couldn't relax and I looked enviously at all the other people chilling out and watching films etc while I was walking up and down the aircraft and trying to keep him contained and happy in a small space! The second leg of the journey seems to last an eternity and then some. The stewardesses are very helpful and understanding when you have a little'un and will do anything they can to help.
You are also called first on to the flight.
Wasn't as bad as I feared but still quite traumatic!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

We're going to pay for a seat for our 8mnth old - can't imagine having her on my lap for that length of time! As for the bassinet, she'd hate it!
We're taking both car seats on board & sticking them both in those - at least they can recline a little & they're used to them already so should HOPEFULLY sleep!
I saw a link for the most awesome trolley thing to attach car seats to (might've found it on here someplace) so buying 2 of these too then can check the stroller in with our [not excessively heavy:curse:] luggage.
As for the flight, my most sincere apologies to anyone flying with us.

http://www.gogobabyz.com/products/gogo_kids.html
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

hosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud ofhosebergine has much to be proud of

I'm sure you've checked this already but friends of our had a few issues with the car seats on the plane. They had to buy a special one in the end because of needing to use the lapbelt rather than the 3 pt harness in a car. If you haven't done so, might be worth checking with your airline if there are any restrictions.

I have to say our 3 yr old was a delight on the flight. I was dreading it - she's a complete wriggle-puss but pop her in front of her own TV and a few meals in exciting pots and she was having a great time!

The best thing we did for the whole trip was spend £20 on a pair of kids headphones (see Amazon) and a very cheap MP3 player from ASDA. The earphones were great on the plane and she was happily listening to everything from the Mr Men to the Kaiser Chiefs when on our very long car journeys.

Have a great time!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Yep though this has caused a little confusion! Checked with Singapore who said its fine as long as the seat is approved by CAA. Checked with CAA who say as long as the airline approve the seat, all OK. Checked with manufacturer (Maxi Cosi) who say check with airline. Or CAA.

I love that this is SO simple.....!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "recycle disposable nappies" do you mean that or "use cloth nappies"?
We do recycling but you won't get your dirty disposables in the box - they even throw back the non-compliant plastics........
With car seats you probably won't get a bulkhead seat with two car seats as they do tend to take over more than one seat - well ours always did on long-haul.
Car seats are different in NZ, as long as yours meet the correct Euro Standards then they should be OK and IMHO far safer than the over-the-seat anchoring ones we have here.......
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

I've checked our seats are legal to use in NZ & [I]should[/I be OK to use on the plane - I know lots of people rent their car seats & we thought about it but will be [hopefully] easier to take our own.

I'm going to regret saying that, aren't I?!!

As for the nappies, I mean't recycling the disposables, not washables. Just wasn't sure how eco-lovely the place was!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:13 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

.... I mean't recycling the disposables, not washables. Just wasn't sure how eco-lovely the place was!
how do you do that ?
scrape the poo off first ??

I'm all for reuse, recycle, etc but not my kids soiled nip-naps........gotta be landfill all the way for those deadly timebombs.
Bear in mind that it is pretty warm here in the summer, even nice and warm at the moment - most rubbish co.s ask you to wrap your veg peelings in paper before you put them in the sacks - I shudder to think what they would say about leaving pooey nappies in a box to be collected next week....

and NZ=green?

erm, no not as much as you may like to think.....although the rubbish collection is charged to the user (you buy bags) and there are kerbside colelctions for paper/card, glass, metal cans and palstic (milk and drinks bottles), if you go to the tip with recycling you will pay to get rid of it!

Some areas are greener - ChCh seems to be good and our area, Hibiscus Coast, ain't bad but NZ is not a green paradise!!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=newtothis;6264228]We're going to pay for a seat for our 8mnth old - can't imagine having her on my lap for that length of time! As for the bassinet, she'd hate it!

Shame your baby would hate it as it would save you a load of cash. We saved about £600 on a child fare which we badly needed when we got there as I thought it was very expensive in NZ.
I think most airlines carry car seats in the hold for free but I would worry about how much they throw stuff around and you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if it had been damaged.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sure they recycle disposables in Holland...or someplace similar....everything but the sticky tabs apparently!
I've become something of a crazed recycler of late & recycle or compost as much as poss....maybe will have to reconsider when get to Chch!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:35 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Dezza
I think most airlines carry car seats in the hold for free but I would worry about how much they throw stuff around and you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if it had been damaged.
yeah seen one dropped off the cart at AKL on an internal AirNZ flight (you see them loading up from Domestic Departures) - not a big bash and it was not a baby one, more of a booster......but I'd still rather risk it than use one with the rear anchor system - never been able to get that to work well with car seats in hire cars/friend's cars - but then I am probably a dunce!
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:38 pm
you dewty owld maan!

I'm sure they recycle disposables in Holland...or someplace similar....everything but the sticky tabs apparently!
I've become something of a crazed recycler of late & recycle or compost as much as poss....maybe will have to reconsider when get to Chch!
composting is done here - have a business contact who is working on some more up to date technology that he is bringing in from the UK - all hush hush mind.
Maybe they use disposables that can be composted?
Most of the older style composers will not take faeces, but urine is good for them - I often used to take a leak in ours when I was putting out the box of peelings (in the dark) - 'twas a good job I am over 6 feet and have a good aim!
You'd find it pretty hard to deal with the plastics by composting - not sure how you would do it by recycling - but they recycle all sorts of stuff now - having said that much of the recycling is new technology and not without risks to the environment - believe me I have experienced the fallout from that!!

Last edited by lardyl; Apr 25th 2008 at 3:41 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lardyl
yeah seen one dropped off the cart at AKL on an internal AirNZ flight (you see them loading up from Domestic Departures) - not a big bash and it was not a baby one, more of a booster......but I'd still rather risk it than use one with the rear anchor system - never been able to get that to work well with car seats in hire cars/friend's cars - but then I am probably a dunce!
The one we got with our hire car was a shocker it just didn't seem to hold firm onto the seat - I would not use an NZ one again if I can help it.
I have seen guys unloading a plane before and they literally threw the bags onto the luggage transport thing. Hopefully it is all a bit more automated these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.