All that peace and quiet

All that peace and quiet

Old Jun 29th 2007, 11:28 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All that peace and quiet

Hello to all!

I would like to ask people who have moved from Britain to New Zealand have they had any problems with a funny thing like that in NZ everything is so small scale and even though NZ is geographically a larger country than the UK, its population is something like 1/15 of that of the UK.

Therefore, if you are used to the hustle and bustle of London or other British cities, how do adapt youselves living in a country which is practically empty for most parts? Auckland is the only place which somehow reminds of a city.

However, perhaps the reason behind your moving to NZ was exactly to get away from the all-pervasive urban life which almost impossible to escape in the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:43 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All that peace and quiet

Originally Posted by THR
Therefore, if you are used to the hustle and bustle of London or other British cities, how do adapt youselves living in a country which is practically empty for most parts? Auckland is the only place which somehow reminds of a city.
I don't get the feeling, though I could be very wrong, that there are many Londoners on this forum.

I came to NZ from Tokyo and, to answer your question, I came here to get away from the hustle and bustle. I'd had enough of big city living and wanted a bit of peace and quiet.

So it isn't so much a case of 'adapting' as much as 'enjoying'. I don't think anybody who enjoys city life would choose to live in NZ.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
I came to NZ from Tokyo and, to answer your question, I came here to get away from the hustle and bustle. I'd had enough of big city living and wanted a bit of peace and quiet.
Like you I wanted a quieter life at a slower pace. Sick of motorway travel , accidents most days that hold you up - oh the stress. I drive 7 mins to work & don't need to go on the motorway here.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:33 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Hello to all!

I would like to ask people who have moved from Britain to New Zealand have they had any problems with a funny thing like that in NZ everything is so small scale and even though NZ is geographically a larger country than the UK, its population is something like 1/15 of that of the UK.

However, perhaps the reason behind your moving to NZ was exactly to get away from the all-pervasive urban life which almost impossible to escape in the UK.
Can be a pain if you want to get a takeaway after 2130h or if you are feeling sheepish when people stare at you if you are loud/having a laugh about the place at night. Having said that people seem to be more tolerant of kids doing that, apart from some of the ex-Pats (mainly the S Africans and some Asians who seem to rule thier kids with an iron rod). Mainly though the silence is great, although it does tend to exagerate the sound of the Hoons' phat exhausts!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 10:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

It is wonderfully quiet here at night and dark. We get a straggle of people heading home around 11pm-midnight and then it's absolutely silent. Not even hoons here. The streets in our town are much less lit then we're accustomed to and so even in town it can be really dark. Drive for 5 mins out of town, pull over and park and it's pitch black (with the starriest starry skies) and silent.

Lovely