British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Is it all it's cracked up to be? IT biz analyst work availability (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/all-its-cracked-up-biz-analyst-work-availability-812517/)

SteppedTech Oct 18th 2013 12:25 pm

Is it all it's cracked up to be? IT biz analyst work availability

Hi there,

New here, please be patient with me.

we arrived in NZ a few weeks back, it was a very quick process getting setup with an apartment / internet etc etc.

we (my partner and I) arrived on working holiday visa's having "conquered" Australia a year ago & found the UK to be lacking a few things.

now is it just me or is it made to look easier than it really is with re: finding work?

I'm in IT & really looking for a junior BA (Business Analyst) position. I can contract on helpdesk / desktop support also.

I was sold on the fact that the job market over here was desperate for IT workers, but having arrived it seems a bit harder than I anticipated.

Is anyone in this industry? could i trouble someone to have a little ponder @ my CV and pass it around for a few beers?

Thanks,

Chris

davros1984 Oct 19th 2013 5:13 am

Re: Is it all it's cracked up to be?

Hi Chris,

My advice is not to spend too much time with recruitment consultants - here they generally are a complete waste of time, they say they put you forward for a role but then you never get much back. The amount of hours I have wasted...

Its better applying direct. There have been other threads on here including this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810069
which have mentioned the frustrations with getting work. Just talk to snapshot about getting work. From my perspective, its very different to the UK where you put your CV online or apply for a job and there's several phone calls over a course of a day.

My attitude here has changed as well, certainly I am not going to change my job because I'm unhappy in a role. Changing jobs here - as far as I am concerned is a bit of a nightmare.

Be patient and keep applying, but understand the market is small and doesn't move particularly quickly. I'd be interested in knowing who told you that NZ was desperate for IT workers? In fact, there's plenty, they just mainly seem to be South African, British or Asian.

bourbon-biscuit Oct 20th 2013 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SteppedTech (Post 10950124)
Hi there,

New here, please be patient with me.

we arrived in NZ a few weeks back, it was a very quick process getting setup with an apartment / internet etc etc.

we (my partner and I) arrived on working holiday visa's having "conquered" Australia a year ago & found the UK to be lacking a few things.

now is it just me or is it made to look easier than it really is with re: finding work?

I'm in IT & really looking for a junior BA (Business Analyst) position. I can contract on helpdesk / desktop support also.

I was sold on the fact that the job market over here was desperate for IT workers, but having arrived it seems a bit harder than I anticipated.

Is anyone in this industry? could i trouble someone to have a little ponder @ my CV and pass it around for a few beers?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris, welcome to NZ. Where were you given the impression that it would be easy to find work here?
Getting your CV looked at asap is a really good idea- they seem to favour a very different style of CV here to the UK.
Hope you find work soon, but be patient cos it may take a while!

BEVS Oct 20th 2013 10:33 pm

Try contacting The Wellies IT group for insider info.

I will also tweak your title to reflect the IT aspect of your question.

Tom1983 Oct 21st 2013 1:22 am

Re: Is it all it's cracked up to be? IT biz analyst work availability

IT jobs - good luck!

Do not bother with recruitment agencies as one said

First things first is to get your cv NZ friendly (if you haven't). Go with newkiwis.co.nz and register. Then you can submit your CV and they'll make changes to suit NZ recruiters

Secondly I see your a junior business analyst? You are immediately at a disadvantage as it's very rare to see junior IT jobs in New Zealand. They mostly want experienced professionals so you'll likely struggle to find business analysis work for juniors. I know at my company, we don't take juniors. Try applying for normal business analyst work - see what length of experience they want. You might find somewhere

Try the big IT companies and the banks first, if not government. Most positions are in Auckland or Wellington - don't bother with the south island, very few IT jobs in the south

Catchafire Oct 21st 2013 5:23 am

Originally Posted by davros1984 (Post 10951228)

Its better applying direct. There have been other threads on here including this one: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=810069
which have mentioned the frustrations with getting work. Just talk to snapshot about getting work. From my perspective, its very different to the UK where you put your CV online or apply for a job and there's several phone calls over a course of a day.

I would be wary of using particular posters experiences as a litmus test, especially if they are in different professions to you. Plus you really have no idea how a person interviews in real life.

I know several IT expat professionals here in Marlborough.......

Water Lily Oct 21st 2013 10:08 pm

I was also going to suggest the newkiwis website. Not sure if these other links will be of any help, but once you've had your CV adapted to meet NZ employers' expectations, you could try your luck at:

- job-bank.workandincome.govt.nz/find-a-job/search.aspx
- newzealand.govt.nz/browse/employment-jobs/
- www.seek.co.nz
- www.trademe.co.nz/jobs
- jobs.geekzone.co.nz

Good luck!

Assanah Oct 21st 2013 11:47 pm

My partner found an IT job through a recruitment agency in Auckland. Started at the help desk, had to endure it for one year, and then applied for other jobs within the company, and now works as a Integration support analyst.

Assanah Oct 21st 2013 11:47 pm

Double posting.