Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

All Blacks V England.

All Blacks V England.

Old Apr 27th 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All Blacks V England.

Originally Posted by snaps
Just to be clear at this moment...I'll be supporting England, closely followed by the All Blacks. It may depend if I'm surrounded at the time.
Surrounded by whom?

It's not like you're going to be a Rangers fan among Celtic fans at an Old Firm Derby!!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Surrounded by whom?

It's not like you're going to be a Rangers fan among Celtic fans at an Old Firm Derby!!
Surrounded by AB fans. It can be quite unpleasant with the jeering in your face and the like. I do speak from experience. Same for a Crusaders v other team mind you.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

I was in Dublin a few years ago one Saturday afternoon in a pub on the main street. England were winning until the dying seconds against Ireland, my colleague an avid green fan. Hard to remain calm in a bar full of green when the only England supporter for miles around, or so it seemed. My colleague advised it best to keep quiet and simply nod at the right times (or wrong times in my case!!!)
Old Apr 28th 2014, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Surrounded by AB fans. It can be quite unpleasant with the jeering in your face and the like. I do speak from experience. Same for a Crusaders v other team mind you.
That because AB fans are some of the worst winners that ever graced the sporting world.

The sense of entitlement, tickles me. As does the blaming of Wayne Barnes for 2007.

Both mean I can't take an AB fan seriously when they try to 'banter' with me - blaming referees for your own failings is frankly laughable for arguably the best international sports team that has ever existed.

If all else fails, singing "God save YOUR Queen" tends to shut them up
Old Apr 28th 2014, 10:05 pm
`

That because AB fans are some of the worst winners that ever graced the sporting world.
I know and it came as a big sad surprise to the both of us. Perhaps it's something that should be in the 'what do you wish you had been told' thread.
Old May 2nd 2014, 9:49 am
Just Joined

SarahQ-M is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to Eden Park - managed to get a single ticket on TM - I expect I'll be surrounded by AB fans so will probably be keeping my head down...

It does mean that although I usually support Quins in the Premiership I am now hoping they don't make the final the week before!
Old May 5th 2014, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

This is all very British of us.

I never saw an AB's fan "keep their head down" at Twickenham.

It's just a shame the atmosphere in NZ sporting arena is akin to a library or a morgue and not the Home of Rugby.
Old May 5th 2014, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice

Just when did NZ become the home of rugby?
Old May 5th 2014, 9:38 am
Just Joined

This is all very British of us.

I never saw an AB's fan "keep their head down" at Twickenham.
Ha ha true. Will have to hope that the boys give me something to cheer about then!

Is the atmosphere that bad? I must admit the only time I've ever really noticed an ABs crowd on TV is when they're booing Quade Cooper's kicks at goal - not the classiest of crowds, it seemed to me. Will hope to be proved wrong!
Old May 6th 2014, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snaps
Just when did NZ become the home of rugby?
Home of Rugby = Twickenham.

Now read my post again and pluralise arena ...
Old May 6th 2014, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahQ-M
Ha ha true. Will have to hope that the boys give me something to cheer about then!

Is the atmosphere that bad? I must admit the only time I've ever really noticed an ABs crowd on TV is when they're booing Quade Cooper's kicks at goal - not the classiest of crowds, it seemed to me. Will hope to be proved wrong!
I went to the Bledisloe Cup game in Wellington in August last year. Bloody awful atmosphere. I was really, very disappointed by it.

Those who have been to Old Trafford will know what I'm talking about. It's just an air of expectation, the crowd builds if something good happens by the home team. If a try is scored a medium cheer is let out and then expectation begins for the next one.

Don't get me started on the booing of Quade Cooper, the blaming of Wayne Barnes for the 2007 QF, the food poisoning in 1995. I've even heard Kiwi's blame Ireland for not winning their 1991 Quarter Final v. Australia having a knock on effect for the AB's.

It is all very hilarious.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:53 am
`

Home of Rugby = Twickenham.
Old May 7th 2014, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a shame the atmosphere in NZ sporting arena is akin to a library or a morgue ...

Yet secretly they love it when the Pommies and Lion's tour fans come over and start singing and having fun. I talked with a few people that went to World cup games and many of them commented that the singing and banter from the English / Irish /Welsh and Scottish fans was fantastic and much more fun than the actual games.

The constant whining about the Wayne Barnes thing and other choking and blame game events are predictable and laughable - it shows the true colours and no one likes a sore loser, far less sore winners.
Old May 13th 2014, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Have got a few more kilos baggage allowance for my flight so popped out to the storage unit today and rescued my England shirt ready for the match! Looking forward to it (even if we are down to our fourth-choice hooker, entirely possible).
Old May 16th 2014, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS

Twickers = rugby, fact.

I'm going down to Dunedin, absolutely cannot wait to see the ABs playing England down here and never thought that would happen. Would be incredible to see a win, and a prettier one than Wellington 10 years ago! Looking forward to experiencing the atmosphere in the Forsyth Barr stadium, and my first return to Dunedin in 3 years.

I'm then seeing the Crusaders play England around the corner from my place, on my 30th birthday .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.