British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   From airport to destination with all our luggage?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/airport-destination-all-our-luggage-590259/)

onsisoppad Feb 9th 2009 9:30 am

From airport to destination with all our luggage??

Hi everyone

We arriving on monday the 23rd of Feb in auckland. As we are a family of 5 we have LOADS of luggage but even though we are going to rent a car we can't afford a big one so will just have a medium sized ar and i think i'd be lucky if one suitcase and my pram fit in that. What do other ppl do to get from arrival to there destination?? we are going to murraysbay

garryhg Feb 9th 2009 9:33 am

Re: From airport to destination with all our luggage??

Originally Posted by onsisoppad (Post 7265914)
Hi everyone

We arriving on monday the 23rd of Feb in auckland. As we are a family of 5 we have LOADS of luggage but even though we are going to rent a car we can't afford a big one so will just have a medium sized ar and i think i'd be lucky if one suitcase and my pram fit in that. What do other ppl do to get from arrival to there destination?? we are going to murraysbay

Hi there,where you heading to in Auckland....Are you coming via LAX for your extra luggage allowance...Jacky

onsisoppad Feb 9th 2009 10:23 am

HU?? lol - we are heading to north shore - murrays bay. We do have some airfreight coming but we will pick that up seperatelly - i am just talking about 6 suitcases a pram carseat all our handluggage..... AAAAAGGGHH

Do they have really big taxis there?

luvwelly Feb 9th 2009 10:36 am

Originally Posted by onsisoppad (Post 7266087)
HU?? lol - we are heading to north shore - murrays bay. We do have some airfreight coming but we will pick that up seperatelly - i am just talking about 6 suitcases a pram carseat all our handluggage..... AAAAAGGGHH

So one adult drives the hire car and the other stuff goes in a taxi with the other adult (some suitcases on back seat if necessary?).

You can get 'minibus' type taxis which could take you and maybe all that as well.....in Wellington they sometimes have trailers on the back for the luggage....this type may be called shuttles.

gozzy Feb 9th 2009 6:30 pm

Hi
We brought a ford falcon station wagon. Got me ,the wife and three kids in (11, 9 and 4) aswell as 9 suitcases. bit of a squeeze. but made it from chch to golden bay over the takaka hill. Not for the faint hearted.
Regards gozzy:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CarolineSwan Feb 9th 2009 6:39 pm

hiya

Garys work had someone waiting for us when we arrived , it was a mini bus with a covered trailer on the back , it got our 6 pieces plus pram plus a few others that were here. not sure the name of the company but i could find out for you . let me know if you want details

caz

Am Loolah Feb 9th 2009 6:47 pm

We are 2 adults, 4 kids and 2 dobermans ... we had a 7 seater MPV and a trailer with tarp. I was tempted to put the kids in the trailer, but Hubby thought not ... :sneaky:

CarolineSwan Feb 9th 2009 7:48 pm

[QUOTE but Hubby thought not ... :sneaky:[/QUOTE]

men pffftttttttttttt !!!
:rofl:

TeamEmbo Feb 10th 2009 6:16 am

Jacky means are you flying via Los Angeles as you get double baggage allowance on that route (Air NZ) - each passenger can have 2 suitcases of 20kg plus 1 handluggage at 7kgs. Means you can bring more to keep you going till your container arrives.

gozzy Feb 10th 2009 6:11 pm

We have just come via LAX with AirNZ and were told 2 -20kgs , 2-7kgs hand luggage and a hand bag or laptop.
Regards Gozzy

onsisoppad Feb 10th 2009 8:21 pm

no we didn't take that route as it cost £500 more than the direct flight via hong kong on air nz. As our house didn't sell we are counting the pennies... we did however make a deal with the removal company and managed to get 25kg free airfreight plus additional £5.75 per kg if extra. We won't need to much extra luggage as travelling with 2 kids and a baby 5x 20kg suitcases is about what we can manage with .........;) think we going to just get a taxi to start of with. With rental car companies - do you have to go to them to rent a car or do they deliver as well?

garryhg Feb 11th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo (Post 7269733)
Jacky means are you flying via Los Angeles as you get double baggage allowance on that route (Air NZ) - each passenger can have 2 suitcases of 20kg plus 1 handluggage at 7kgs. Means you can bring more to keep you going till your container arrives.

Thanks for clearing that up...lol..Couldn't figure out what was wrong with what I said....:D...Jacky

Geelong Gent Feb 11th 2009 12:06 pm

Do they have really big taxi drivers?

Sure do;)

Sounds like you should get a mini bus to your planned accomodation and then pick up rental car next day or two.

Rental cars are cheaper away from the airport. So you will save money - especially if you consider one or two days immediately on arrival you wont be using the car due too jet lag

Also consider hiring from one of the rental companies in mangere that are about 5 mins taxi drive from the airport.

Geelong Gent Feb 11th 2009 12:07 pm

Do they have really big .....taxi...... drivers?

Sure do;)

Sounds like you should get a mini bus to your planned accomodation and then pick up rental car next day or two.

Rental cars are cheaper away from the airport. So you will save money - especially if you consider one or two days immediately on arrival you wont be using the car due too jet lag

Also consider hiring from one of the rental companies in mangere that are about 5 mins taxi drive from the airport.

AKT Feb 17th 2009 12:07 pm

Try www.supershuttle.co.nz for your trip from the airport - they have minibuses with a trailer for the luggage and are much cheaper than a taxi. $82 for your trip.

HTH

A