Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Which airline to migrate with?

Which airline to migrate with?

Old May 15th 2007, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Which airline to migrate with?

Singapore Air is a great airline IMHO and Changi Airport is totally fab. SSoo family friendly. Take a stop-over in singapore and book into a hotel on Sentosa . Your kids will love it and so will you.
Or if the timings between flights is 6 hours approx book into the Abbassador Airport hotel and get some sleep and a shower.

If there are only a few hours , then you can still get showers at the airport at the Ambassador hotel and there are plenty of places for the kids to be entertained.
Old May 15th 2007, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nisey
I will be booking our one way ticket on receipt of our visa's. Which airline would you recommend.

I just got back with Air NZ, they were fab, seats in ecnomy fairly decent. Hubby is 6'2 and found the legroom fine, reasonable seat pitch and on demand tv excellent.

We will be travelling with our two girls age 6 and 2, and fancy doing a stop over somewhere for a few days rather than push them through a 24 hour trip. Views from families with experience of other airlines, what made them special and luggage allowances for emigrating.

All gratefully received.

Many Many thanks
Singapore Airlines are BRILLIANT when it comes to kids, they have I think the most leg room of any of the airlines and Changi airport has just about everything you could wish for for a transit. showers/beds/massage/cinema/games/shops/restaurants very garish carpets to enhance the space out feeling you et with long haul flights./Clear signage/helpful staff.
The online entertainment can be viewed at KRISFLYER I think without being a member.
They also didnt charge us for the 40kgs we were over on our allowance because we were migrating..
When I flew with our two year old, we had out very own cabin crew member, so if I wanted to go to the loo or for a bit of a stretch "SAL" came and hovered over a sleeping Harry until I returned.
They have always been excellant, especially if your keen on spicy noodles for breakfast, which incidently I am.

have a great flight and enjoy your new life.
Old May 15th 2007, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

We've flown 6 times over the past 10 years to NZ, both with singapore and Malaysia airlines and can honestly say there is little in them, they are both excellent.
The last time was with malaysian airlines in 2005 with our baby of 11 months and they couldn't do enought for us, it was the same a the hotel we stayed at for our 3 day stopover, the people were just great .
i'm sure you get a FREE side flight when you fly with Malaysia which includes Borneo, we did it and stayed a the Rosa Ria which was beautifull, they had a kids club there so there something for the kids to do, and of course the orang utangs.
Old May 16th 2007, 8:01 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Him and Me
We've flown 6 times over the past 10 years to NZ, both with singapore and Malaysia airlines and can honestly say there is little in them, they are both excellent.
The last time was with malaysian airlines in 2005 with our baby of 11 months and they couldn't do enought for us, it was the same a the hotel we stayed at for our 3 day stopover, the people were just great .
i'm sure you get a FREE side flight when you fly with Malaysia which includes Borneo, we did it and stayed a the Rosa Ria which was beautifull, they had a kids club there so there something for the kids to do, and of course the orang utangs.

Is that you???????!!!!!!!!
Old May 16th 2007, 10:39 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I don't get why some think Air NZ have poor entertainment

There were 50 films to choose from, over 50 cds, stack loads of games, tv programmes, documentaries, radio programmes, comedy, kids stuff - maybe this has only been available recently - but I would have thought that was more than enough choice for even the pickiest traveller!!!

The food and choices of menu were good and portion sizes were too much really (and we love our food!). We flew economy. Nothing was too much trouble for the flight attendants and we had a comfortable, enjoyable flight.

We are emigrating next week and are using Air NZ again. Just for comparison we asked Singapore airlines what baggage allowance we would get if we flew with them and they said none, not possible, neither was there any extra allowance going Air NZ via Hong Kong.

But then what's great to one person can be someone else's hell, I guess. We had a great flight, no complaints, hence would recommend.
Because it was rubbish - as I said though, I was talking about the old bangers, which are the last lot of planes I flew on with them. I last left NZ last April and I was led to believe that they had brought in the shiny new planes by then and got their act together a bit in the way of service. I didn't leave with Air NZ, I might add - we had been boycotting them since about 18 months prior to that. I would still never fly with them again though due to the abysmal way they treated us the last time we flew with them (and their service was shoddy even before that event).

We did get a written apology from them though.
Old May 16th 2007, 10:40 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, Korean and Emirates were both great.
Old May 16th 2007, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Highly reccomend JAL japanese national airline used them to fly to AUS excellent company highly reccomend.You get to spend time in JApan too bonus.

I wouldn't use BA or Quantas they were shocking, old planes crap seat, no tv in the seats only the main one at the front of the cabin, I would never use BA or Quantas again.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Is that you???????!!!!!!!!
Yes, was bored and thought i'd have a nosy around
Ever been in the lounge there's some characters in there
Old May 16th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Always preferred cathay pacific to any other, esp when kids were younger, but I didn't like Hong Kong, so for me Singapore Airlines was the close second but won because I love Singapore!
Flew Emirates last year and Qatar Airways to UK.
I was not impressed any more by Emirates, lots of complaints by passengers about the hard seats, I heard they had changed the seats from the older ones but the newer ones are not as comfy IMO.
Drinks were on short supply too, kids kept getting told to wait each time they asked for a drink. As soon as seat belt sign came on, no tea or coffee was served. I am sure the pilots left the sign on at times to stop us drinking! we flew from Dubai to Melbourne ( 14 hours) with no hot drink at all!
Being a tea drinker, I was not impressed.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rascal
Always preferred cathay pacific to any other, esp when kids were younger, but I didn't like Hong Kong, so for me Singapore Airlines was the close second but won because I love Singapore!
Flew Emirates last year and Qatar Airways to UK.
I was not impressed any more by Emirates, lots of complaints by passengers about the hard seats, I heard they had changed the seats from the older ones but the newer ones are not as comfy IMO.
Drinks were on short supply too, kids kept getting told to wait each time they asked for a drink. As soon as seat belt sign came on, no tea or coffee was served. I am sure the pilots left the sign on at times to stop us drinking! we flew from Dubai to Melbourne ( 14 hours) with no hot drink at all!
Being a tea drinker, I was not impressed.
this is good to read I have just booked with Cathay Pacific. I love HK though think it is an ace place love the people and city itself, especially Kowloon.
Old May 17th 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

We flew out to NZ with Cathay when kids were a lot younger, and they really looked after them, toys, games, backpacks, ice cream, they couldn't get enough of treating the kids the whole journey.
Have a great trip, I am sure you will enjoy Cathay.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all
Post Re: Which airline to migrate with?

Flew over in March with Malaysia. They were great,nothing was a problem,Screens in teats in front of you that tilt so if seat in front is reclined you can still see.always round with drinks.food good and they have the largest pitch in economy class of all the airlines....BONUS..They turn the lights off so you can sleep but keep walking up and down to see if the people who are awake need anything...I got missed by the waiter when he was round with tea & coffee because he got distracted by another waiter, I rang the buzzer and told him and the poor chap thought it was the end of the world..He couldnt apologize enough. The chief steward (who was in first class) came down and apologized to me and when we landed he came over and apologized again Christ it was only a coffee. So for first class service and the largest seat space go Malaysian..