British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Which airline is better? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/airline-better-471658/)

AlexArchie Aug 5th 2007 9:30 am

Which airline is better?

Which airline is better?:confused::)

garryhg Aug 5th 2007 11:55 am

Re: Which airline is better?

hi jacky g here
we flew air new zealand,fantastic although i would avoid going lax next time....

we flew premium economy from heathrow to lax.........:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

then economy from lax to nz:thumbsup::thumbsup:

worth pushing the boat out for premium economy......far superior........gl with your move

Yosimiti Sam Aug 5th 2007 12:11 pm

None of them,
fly Cathy Pacific,
they are truelly the only airline to fly with, if you can of course :)

misterjingo Aug 5th 2007 2:18 pm

Emirates all way. Every single flight with them has been comfortable even when travelling economy. Definately recommended.

happynz Aug 5th 2007 5:40 pm

If you are coming on a recce, any of the Asian airlines will do, Singapore, Thai, Malaysia, Emirates...they all have quite good service.
If you are immigrating and you have a lot of stuff, go on an airline that transits through North America. Sure, LAX ground staff can be brusque and US landing policies annoying, but try deep breathing exercises and keep that famous stiff upper lip. In other words, deal with it. It's the price you'll pay for the substantial extra weight allowance.

Good luck.

Boopy Aug 5th 2007 7:19 pm

Done Air NZ once - they were very good & Qantas twice - they were even better for food, service & entertainment.

Colin in the middle Aug 5th 2007 9:05 pm

Make a suggestion

Fly any one of the Star Alliance partners but Join the Air New Zealand Airpoints Programme. The amount of points you will gain from a Long Haul flight will in most cases pay for a Domestic flight or Car Hire for a couple of Days ;)

MattH Aug 5th 2007 10:24 pm

Air NZ - purely from a legroom point of view!

Colin in the middle Aug 6th 2007 12:40 am

Maybe I should say Air New Zealand for reasons

1. More leg room
2. two piece maximum 32kg luggage allowance total of 64kg via USA versus 24kg the other route.
3. Airpoints (allways get your freebies):thumbup:
4. Food...............yea right!!!!!

Ozzidoc Aug 6th 2007 1:00 am

Air NZ.

grrrrr....being the pedant here with regards to the English language.

Better = two options
Best = more than two options.

(Just a pointer for any other folks contemplating doing a poll.)

urbanproject Aug 6th 2007 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Colin in the middle (Post 5152702)
Maybe I should say Air New Zealand for reasons

1. More leg room
2. two piece maximum 32kg luggage allowance total of 64kg via USA versus 24kg the other route.
3. Airpoints (allways get your freebies):thumbup:
4. Food...............yea right!!!!!

I'll say Air NZ also, good service and new refitted aircraft is great. You will get 2 pieces at 23kgs per person plus 7kgs hand luggage (if you go through Los Angeles at least 1 leg, if you have a return flight)

They used to do 32kgs x 2 but phased it out April 2006 due to fuel costs :huh: 23 kgs x 2 is still a lot though :cool:

There is a fee to join airpoints but a return trip to NZ from the UK will pay for a return flight within NZ ora car rental or even a night in a hotel. Still worth it though :)

Jen :thumbup:

ballsrburning Aug 6th 2007 9:49 am

JAL is the best Airline I have used,

British airways and quantas suck never use them again.
Air italia were ok also.
Thai air were awsome.
Cathay Pacific were excellent, using them again in Jan :)

Never used the airlines yopu mention but singapore are supposed to be good.

AlexArchie Aug 6th 2007 9:55 am

Originally Posted by ballsrburning (Post 5153745)
JAL is the best Airline I have used,

British airways and quantas suck never use them again.
Air italia were ok also.
Thai air were awsome.
Cathay Pacific were excellent, using them again in Jan :)

Never used the airlines yopu mention but singapore are supposed to be good.

Thanks for saying but by the looks of it it will either be SQ(Singapore Airlines) or Air New Zealand

Colin in the middle Aug 6th 2007 10:08 am

Originally Posted by urbanproject (Post 5153650)
I'll say Air NZ also, good service and new refitted aircraft is great. You will get 2 pieces at 23kgs per person plus 7kgs hand luggage (if you go through Los Angeles at least 1 leg, if you have a return flight)

They used to do 32kgs x 2 but phased it out April 2006 due to fuel costs :huh: 23 kgs x 2 is still a lot though :cool:

There is a fee to join airpoints but a return trip to NZ from the UK will pay for a return flight within NZ ora car rental or even a night in a hotel. Still worth it though :)

Jen :thumbup:

Shows last time I left the country :eek: Last time flew Air New Zealand was before the 747s were refitted like a month before the first one was done :unsure: My favourite seat row was 3rd from the rear on the outside (no not on the wing :rofl:) 2 seats but not enough room for 3 meant extra room beside you ;)

Most memeroable flight was AKL-LAX we got to just under halfway before being turned back to Auckland. I was on the flight deck at the time talking to the pilot I meet a few days earlier, the date was September 11th 2001.

Smiler68 Aug 6th 2007 10:49 am

Flew Emirates down here, leg room in economy was nothing to write home about, but loads of stops to get off and stretch your legs Manchester-Dubai-Bangkok-Sydney-Auckland. Best thing was the 40Kg baggage allowance, and I still went over :-)