Air NZ

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 7:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air NZ

dropping its LA leg from US to UK

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12278865
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 8:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Air NZ

Not too surprised TBH.
It's a rotten route & airport IMO .
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 9:05 pm
Banned

hrowen is an unknown quantity at this point

It saying that Air NZ will lose its heathrow presence was that its only flight?!
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 10:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not too surprised TBH.
Most US airports are TBH Saying that Manchester is pretty grim these days.

Now flying Newark NJ to Aukland direct now, which is better for us if we come back to NZ.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 10:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Most US airports are TBH Saying that Manchester is pretty grim these days.

Now flying Newark NJ to Aukland direct now, which is better for us if we come back to NZ.
Manchester UK? I've never flown into there . Himself has flown into BHam via Paris or similar when he used to make trips back to see his Mother.

TBH LAX and then LHR would not be a good experience these years.
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester UK? I've never flown into there . Himself has flown into BHam via Paris or similar when he used to make trips back to see his Mother.

TBH LAX and then LHR would not be a good experience these years.
Yes UK it used to be quite a nice airport, but it’s expanded and IMO is quite trashy inside.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 2:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We flew into and out of MAN when we went to UK in August. We found it convenient for getting into the city, or anywhere else really (BIL got a direct train to Middlesbrough from there!) but we found that the airport itself was meh.

They certainly were not very well equipped to deal with anything out of the ordinary. Our fully loaded A380 had to make an emergency landing and we were stuck onboard for 3+ hours while ground staff found a tug to tow the plane to a hangar (not the terminal) then only 2 buses to get 600 passengers off the plane to we're still not sure where. We were dumped off the bus outside a building to collect luggage and that was it. The airline itself was gooapologies for the delays, etc, but it's not Emirates who organises for the tug or buses or information for passengers.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:45 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Not surprised! We have never considered flying AirNZ back to the UK. Premium prices for a non premium service, crap flight paths and takes far too long in comparison to other airline choices. China Southern return $1300, 28 hours with only one stop vs over $2000 with 2 stops, 35 hours. Hmmmmm.
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hrowen
It saying that Air NZ will lose its heathrow presence was that its only flight?!
Yes. London is dropped entirely in favour of New York, and Air NZ is exiting the UK.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

To me the downside of flying through the USA is the requirement to go through immigration.
As far as I know most other countries treat you as in international transit and don't require local immigration clearance.
I haven't flown through the USA for many years so don't know how long the clearance takes but the speed of clearing in immigration is allegedly not that good.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
To me the downside of flying through the USA is the requirement to go through immigration.
As far as I know most other countries treat you as in international transit and don't require local immigration clearance.
I haven't flown through the USA for many years so don't know how long the clearance takes but the speed of clearing in immigration is allegedly not that good.
Iberia used to run a mini-hub out of Miami, where they would fly to/from Spain and Miami with the big bird and then connect their passengers on smaller Iberia aircraft to various points in Latin America. They had to can the mini-hub because of how laborious the transit requirements became for their passengers post-9/11.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:49 pm
Banned

hrowen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Varies a lot depending on time and place but I use global entry which is pretty much as fast as a citizen!
Old Oct 27th 2019, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Not too surprised TBH.
It slightly got better when they moved to the Tom Bradley terminal and the Star Alliance lounge is one of the best in world. Must say the transit process is very hit and miss depending what side of bed the staff there have got out of.

It's a shame NZ1/NZ2 is being dropped. It's stunning taking off from the Californian coast. They probably shouldn't have dropped the Hong Kong route as that was far better and less competitive.

Oh well - direct flights with Singapore it is. That or fly via Hong Kong/Shanghai/San Fran to change on the excellent Virgin Atlantic. I'll miss flying direct with Air NZ - very good airline despite it being pricey. I much prefer them than American flights or the utterly hopeless British Airways.