Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Air Newzealand - my experience

Air Newzealand - my experience

Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air Newzealand - my experience

Thought I would share this with you.

In July I booked flights for my husband Alan daughter Gail & myself to fly direct from Tauranga to Christchurch. We are in NZ for 6 weeks so thought we would have a week in and around Christchurch. Gail has not been to the South Island before and decided to come with us. At the time of booking it was $175 each way but we could have gone via Auckland or Wellington for around $139 - $149 with a good choice of flights. So that it would be easier for Alan who is disabled (having knee replacement on our return) we chose the dearer option flying at 10 am and return flight 2.30 p.m a week later. In September I received an email informing me there had been a change of schedule. We are now flying via Wellington at 7 am. I could not reply to the email I just had to accept of refuse the change so I refused the change. I then had to telephone them from the UK at my expense. I asked would I be getting a refund for the difference in price and was told sorry "no". I asked why and the answer was all the cheap flights had gone now, I responded with an angry outburst that they had not when I booked. I had no choice of flight other than one going late afternoon. The other choice was "well you can cancel and get a full refund." Got nowhere with her so I sent them an email.

I received a reply to this about 7 days later here's part of what she said
"I can appreciate that this new flight routing was very inconvenient to you and your husband for which I most sincerely apologies. As a gesture of goodwill, I would like to offer you and your husband a lounge pass each to use our Koru Lounge. If you would like to let me know when you are both traveling and which airport you wish to utilize your pass, I will arrange that for you."

I replied to this asking did this apply to my daughter as well but was still annoyed that we would not be getting a refund. Heres what was said on the 2nd October: -
"As a gesture of goodwill, since you do not wish to utilize our Koru Lounge, I would like to send you a travel voucher to the value of NZD150.00 to utilize on future travel. If you could please be so kind as to provide us with your postal address, I will arrange this for you."

Needless to say I am not holding my breath on this arriving because I replied on the 2nd October with details as requested (I gave them Gail's address in NZ) and to date the voucher has not arrived. Plus I never said I did not want to use the Koru lounge.

Do you think I was being unreasonable?

June
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Air Newzealand - my experience

No . You are not being unreasonable. These people are not doing their jobs properly. In fact, they are not even doing you the service of reading your emails properly.

Although the Air NZ domestic schedule map shows there is a direct route Tauranga to Christchurch, when one tries to make a booking , the schedules always show via Auckland or Welly. Does that then mean there are NO direct flights between the two cities of Tauranga and Christchurch now as that is really bizarre.

Perhaps Gail can go to the Air NZ desk at your domestic terminal and check that for sure .

If this were me, I would not accept any of this. There again when I think something is wrong, I shout long and hard.

So what if there are no cheap seats left. That is Air NZ's problem, not yours. Yes, I know they reserve the right to change schedules at any time BUT there is such a thing as customer service . You are an 'older' couple & one with a mobility difficulty to boot. You booked with them from across the globe in good faith. Their communications with you are a bloomin' disgrace.

If this were me , I would do this

Look at the Air NZ domestic booking website and decide which date and time you will accept. Check on the Air NZ website first that there are seats available by starting a booking and then without actually booking, print a copy to show that seats remain. As you know , there are several levels of fares. I would rather imagine there will be seats available but at a far higher price.
The pricing is all about flexibility but that doesn't mean that Air NZ could not offer you these seats at a budget price if they chose.

Once you know that there is availability, contact Air NZ. Address to The Manager & prefix the thing clearly to reflect that it is a complaint but that you are looking for it to be resolved mutually.

Tell them what you will accept and lay it thick on the line that your husband needs a front seat, as little travel time as poss. etc etc. That you booked in good months back and that you have been left anxious , worried, confused by the email responses you have had to date. That it is ruining the thought of your family reunion with your daughter . You know the drill.

Tell 'em which flights you feel you would be able to manage & tell them why. Also ask them direct if , as a gesture of goodwill, they will give you those available seats at the Smart Saver price you originally paid.

Once you have stated that, go on to say, but do not thank, that you are happy to accept 3 passes for the Koru lounge as will help with the change of route enormously given your husbands pain and disability. Remind them that you only considered the direct route in the first place and that the extra time and stop will be stressful .

Then further add that you would be pleased to receive the discount offered of $150 as compensation for all this worry and stress but would prefer this to be refunded direct to your UK credit card .

Finish by stating that you have sent this missive by email, by fax and by post to help aid a speedy solution to your complaint.

Originally Posted by Air NZ
Complaints and Claims

If you have cause to complain, please: (a) tell the relevant Supplier in the first instance; (b) if the problem cannot be sorted out this way, please contact our Air New Zealand Holidays Customer Care on +64 9 309 3243; (c) if the problem still cannot be resolved, then please notify us in writing: Customer Feedback, Air New Zealand Holidays, P.O. Box 92007, Auckland 1142, New Zealand.

You should notify us in writing of all complaints as soon as possible and in any event no later than 42 days after you return home. This is to give us a reasonable opportunity to make appropriate enquiries and obtain evidence. If you do not follow this procedure, it will make it harder for us to resolve your complaint and this could prejudice any claim for compensation that you wish to make.
I hope you get some appropriate action.

Good luck.

Last edited by BEVS; Oct 30th 2008 at 9:20 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Brilliant answer Bevs!

June, why don't you offer them some of Doug's sausages.....I'm sure they'll find you the exact seats you want then! After all you are a local (be it only on BE!) celebrity!!

Good luck, Cheryl x
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:30 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

Well here's what I would do...

I'd cancel with Air New Zealand and take the full refund, and then book with Qantas leaving from Rotorua airport. They have direct flights to ChCh at $116 each way (plus $5 departure/airport development fee paid separately at the airport) and the flight time is 1 hour 15 minutes.

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. What good a voucher to the Koru lounge would be to you I do not know! The amount of time you'd be on the ground between connecting flights would be minimal anyway.

Air NZ should do the decent thing and refund you the difference in cost between the previously available cheaper flights and the more expensive direct flight you booked, given that it was they who have effectively forced a schedule change onto you.

I agree with BEVS that the $150 should be paid directly to your credit card, if you chose to accept that offer, rather than be given in vouchers. Ask them why on earth they think you would risk booking travel with them again after they've caused you so much hassle!!!

Good luck with the outcome.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
No . You are not being unreasonable. These people are not doing their jobs properly. In fact, they are not even doing you the service of reading your emails properly.

Although the Air NZ domestic schedule map shows there is a direct route Tauranga to Christchurch, when one tries to make a booking , the schedules always show via Auckland or Welly. Does that then mean there are NO direct flights between the two cities of Tauranga and Christchurch now as that is really bizarre.

Perhaps Gail can go to the Air NZ desk at your domestic terminal and check that for sure .

If this were me, I would not accept any of this. There again when I think something is wrong, I shout long and hard.

So what if there are no cheap seats left. That is Air NZ's problem, not yours. Yes, I know they reserve the right to change schedules at any time BUT there is such a thing as customer service . You are an 'older' couple & one with a mobility difficulty to boot. You booked with them from across the globe in good faith. Their communications with you are a bloomin' disgrace.

Look at the Air NZ domestic booking website and decide which date and time you will accept. Check on the Air NZ website first that there are seats available by starting a booking and then without actually booking, print a copy to show that seats remain. As you know , there are several levels of fares. I would rather imagine there will be seats available but at a far higher price.
The pricing is all about flexibility but that doesn't mean that Air NZ could not offer you these seats at a budget price if they chose.

Once you know that there is availability, contact Air NZ. Address to The Manager & prefix the thing clearly to reflect that it is a complaint but that you are looking for it to be resolved mutually.

Tell them what you will accept and lay it thick on the line that your husband needs a front seat, as little travel time as poss. etc etc. That you booked in good months back and that you have been left anxious , worried, confused by the email responses you have had to date. That it is ruining the thought of your family reunion with your daughter . You know the drill.

Tell 'em which flights you feel you would be able to manage & tell them why. Also ask them direct if , as a gesture of goodwill, they will give you those available seats at the Smart Saver price you originally paid.

Once you have stated that, go on to say, but do not thank, that you are happy to accept 3 passes for the Koru lounge as will help with the change of route enormously given your husbands pain and disability. Remind them that you only considered the direct route in the first place and that the extra time and stop will be stressful .

Then further add that you would be pleased to receive the discount offered of $150 as compensation for all this worry and stress but would prefer this to be refunded direct to your UK credit card .

Finish by stating that you have sent this missive by email, by fax and by post to help aid a speedy solution to your complaint.

Good luck.

Thanks very much for the info. I did send them a copy of all the flights that were available at the time of booking but were now sold out and they chose to ignore this. I have also done some of your other suggestions. At the time I received the change of schedule they were still advertising direct flights from Tauranga to Christchurch but when I rang I was told this had been withdrawn because of lack of bookings. We had also checked in on line in and got seats numbers etc.

I have sent numerous emails to which I have not received a reply. Over the years I have leant how to complain and got results but when you do not know who to complain to it can be very hard. I am now going to do as you suggest. As for my husband all they offered was wheelchair assistance. This I will believe when it happens again I will not hold my breath.

June
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Wow! Brilliant answer Bevs!

June, why don't you offer them some of Doug's sausages.....I'm sure they'll find you the exact seats you want then! After all you are a local (be it only on BE!) celebrity!!

Good luck, Cheryl x
If all else fails I will try it. It could do the trick. Mind you I would rather have the money back and an upgrade to first class, why give them free sausages!!!!

June
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
If all else fails I will try it. It could do the trick. Mind you I would rather have the money back and an upgrade to first class, why give them free sausages!!!!

June
I'm sorry to hear this June. We too had a schedule change with Air New Zealand, but I was very impressed with how it was handled. I called a toll-free number on their website, was connected directly to someone there, and we worked out something mutually agreeable. In fact, I even had to call back to say that we'd have to work something out as the new flight would not allow a comfortable amount of time for a connection, and was told "you don't want to start your holiday being stressed by rushing around LAX, let's see what we can do".

Maybe I'm just used to the terrible customer service from airlines in America, but I was really wowed by my dealings with them.

Maybe try again to see if you talk to someone else? Regardless - hang in there!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS here

Good luck.
Well I have done what you suggested and have sent it airmail today I will let you know the outcome. If I do not receive a reply in a week I will ring them.

June
Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Air Newzealand - my experience - update

Well I think this has finally been resolved after taking BEVS advice.
I got another email today off the same person asking for the details I had already given to her 3 times before. I now presume she cannot read.

Anyway decided to give them another ring and eventually spoke to someone who was willing to sort it out. Changed the flights to something more suitable for us at no extra cost because the prices have now gone up but that's not my fault is it. She sent the etickets to me while I was on the phone to make sure everything was OK and she would also arrange for the $150 voucher to be sent that day.

As I was speaking to her Corrie came on and she could hear the music in the background turned out she came from London originally. I should have got her address and taken her some of Doug's sausages for being so helpful.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

That's brilliant news...well done June

It just goes to show what can be achieved if you stick it out & don't just lay back & accept anything that gets thrown at you!

Cheryl x
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Newzealand - my experience - update

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
Well I think this has finally been resolved after taking BEVS advice.
I got another email today off the same person asking for the details I had already given to her 3 times before. I now presume she cannot read.

Anyway decided to give them another ring and eventually spoke to someone who was willing to sort it out. Changed the flights to something more suitable for us at no extra cost because the prices have now gone up but that's not my fault is it. She sent the etickets to me while I was on the phone to make sure everything was OK and she would also arrange for the $150 voucher to be sent that day.

As I was speaking to her Corrie came on and she could hear the music in the background turned out she came from London originally. I should have got her address and taken her some of Doug's sausages for being so helpful.
hi margaret , so glad you got all this sorted out. I had to call air nz before we booked our flights as i had a few questions and i was on phone for an hour to the most helpfull person i have ever spoken to when needing advice etc, she was from london and moved to aukland 10 years ago but spoke with perfect kiwi accent , just telling you this as small world if the same girl lol
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: Air Newzealand - my experience - update

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
hi margaret , so glad you got all this sorted out. I had to call air nz before we booked our flights as i had a few questions and i was on phone for an hour to the most helpfull person i have ever spoken to when needing advice etc, she was from london and moved to aukland 10 years ago but spoke with perfect kiwi accent , just telling you this as small world if the same girl lol
It may be the same girl she was called Sarah & had lived there 10 years. I agree if it is the same one she was very helpful. Why did I not get to speak to her at the beginning of Sept. then I would not have been so frustrated. I may ring her later to see where she lives and if it is in Auckland I will take her some sausages when we are leaving in Feb. I will leave them at the airport for her to collect. I have an extension number for her so I can get through to her direct.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

hi margaret , i think it is her and if so she def in aukland, she loves marmite from here as says it tastes diff from nz one so you could take her a wee jar of that over
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
Well, if you're coming up this way June, maybe you could bring us some of Doug's sausages too

Jolly pleased you got your travelling plans resolved satisfactorily
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Well, if you're coming up this way June, maybe you could bring us some of Doug's sausages too

Jolly pleased you got your travelling plans resolved satisfactorily

Come on then give us clue as to whereabouts you are. I could perhaps set up a stall.

I think you are somewhere near Auckland so you could have a trip to the Bay of Plenty and take a cool bag with you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.