Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand - USA

Air New Zealand - USA

Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:58 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air New Zealand - USA

the bus does run - I have caught it before. Both the LAX flight and the SFO flight on Air NZ arrive within a short time, as does the Qantas flight. I agree that walking is nicest if you have been cooped up but struggling with luggage can be...awkward! Also, I didn't find it difficult being on the flight from the US as you leave at night so just spend the time sleeping.

Ok, I spent my time playing supermario brothers on nintendo, and green day on the musicbar thing. And skulling free vodka and sneaking icecreams (ie they have extra cos a lot of people are asleep when they hand them out after the evening meal...hehehe)

But most people sleep.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

We fly Glasgow-London-LAX-Auckland-Christchurch then onto Dunedin 3 days later. Have been told that when we land in Auckland NOT to go to domestic terminal for flight to Christchurch but to stay in International for onward flight. Does this mean that we will have our baggage taken right through to CHCH or still have to do all immigration stuff in Auckland as we only have 90 minutes between landing in Auckland and leaving for CHCH

Phyl x
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:31 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phyl,
I think it is still classed as an international flight if you're going through to Christchurch and you do the immigration stuff there rather than Auckland. Could be wrong, though I'm sure someone told me that recently...
Sue x
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:45 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
We fly Glasgow-London-LAX-Auckland-Christchurch then onto Dunedin 3 days later. Have been told that when we land in Auckland NOT to go to domestic terminal for flight to Christchurch but to stay in International for onward flight. Does this mean that we will have our baggage taken right through to CHCH or still have to do all immigration stuff in Auckland as we only have 90 minutes between landing in Auckland and leaving for CHCH

Phyl x
Only on particular flights. Your travel agent is probably right – for it even to be mentioned probably means that it was on the ‘flagged’ flight.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Phyl x
We were told our luggage would be checked through to CHCH but it was WRONG. We had to get our bags in Auckland and check it through customs as it is point of entry. We then had to go to domestics to get the internal flight - I would re-check this information if I were you. Have not heard of any internal flights going from the international departures. People overseas don't always get it right. Check and double check I think you WILL have to get your bags at Auckland and re-check them but I am willing to be proved wrong. It was only us asking at customs in Auckland that we were told to get our luggage and go through the bag check or else we would have done the same as you have been told and we would have arrived without luggage in Christchurch. It would still be on the carousel in Auckland. Please please research this information.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

I have flown Air NZ only once - from Auckland to Wellington as most international airlines do not fly domestically.

Was not the best experience due to 2 reasons

1. I had a hand bag whose total dimensions were 120 cm (including wheels and handles). The same was accepted as cabin baggage on other international airlines, not Air NZ. Hence, had to check-in the same as checked baggage and pay $50 extra for the same as I had other bags making up 20Kg limit. Later, I found that the cabin baggage limit for Air NZ is only 115 cm - big fuss about 5 cm - the flight was 50% empty - cabin baggage shelf over my seat was almost empty.

2. The flight was late by half hour.

Hence, started this thread to get to know others' experiences.

My personal favourite in Singapore Airlines - where the saying "Customer is King" really comes true. But, cannot use the same for every journey.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:06 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Phyl x
If you are travelling on NZ303 then you do NOT pick up your bag in AKL you will travel straight through to CHC. This flight leaves from the International terminal in AKL to the International terminal in CHC so you will clear customs in CHC. This flight was designed for pax coming from those early flights from the states to connect down without having to worry about your bags. If it is not NZ303 then you will need to pick up your bags in AKL and go to the domestic terminal and go to bagdrop if you already have a boarding card.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
If you are travelling on NZ303 then you do NOT pick up your bag in AKL you will travel straight through to CHC. This flight leaves from the International terminal in AKL to the International terminal in CHC so you will clear customs in CHC. This flight was designed for pax coming from those early flights from the states to connect down without having to worry about your bags. If it is not NZ303 then you will need to pick up your bags in AKL and go to the domestic terminal and go to bagdrop if you already have a boarding card.
Flight from auck-chch is NZ0303. I booked direct with Air NZ online and it states on the e-ticket that we depart from the international terminal at Auckland going to chch. I remember reading somewhere that alerted the fact that we were NOT to leave int arr and go to domestic at Auckland but can't find it now!! Will just check on the day

Phyl x
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

After collecting bags and clearing customs at AKL, are the bags transferred back to Air NZ at International Terminal or Domestic Terminal?

Domestic flights, generally, depart from gates at domestic terminal, however, does one need to carry the bags to the domestic terminal?

From AKL website:

Domestic transfer

Before booking a domestic flight please allow around three hours to cover procedures for entry into New Zealand, as well as any unexpected flight or processing delays.

If you are catching a domestic flight within New Zealand please go to the domestic transfer desk, after collecting your luggage and clearing Customs, on the ground floor of the international terminal.

Luggage will only be checked in if you have allowed at least one hour before the departure of any domestic flight.

If you miss this check-in time please go directly to the domestic terminal by using the free inter-terminal bus or by following the sign-posted blue and white line walkway.

Last edited by msi geek; Mar 1st 2009 at 6:04 am.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
I have flown Air NZ only once - from Auckland to Wellington as most international airlines do not fly domestically.
Vast difference between their domestic and international products. Apart from the service I would say Air NZ is better then Singapore, purely because of the large amount of leg room.