Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand - USA

Air New Zealand - USA

Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Air New Zealand - USA

Has anyone recently flown Air NZ to US? How is the overall service?

And connecting flights via United ? Any issues with baggage transfer to domestic airlines?

Kindly share your experiences

Last edited by msi geek; Feb 26th 2009 at 12:38 am.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air New Zealand - USA

Excellent IMO, far better than any other alternatives.

Food - OK
Service - Good
Legroom - Excellent
IFE - Excellent - one of the best in the industry.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msi geek
Has anyone recently flown Air NZ to US? How is the overall service?

And connecting flights via United ? Any issues with baggage transfer to domestic airlines?

Kindly share your experiences
I recently flew from the US to NZ and was very pleased with Air New Zealand. Great customer service.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:02 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

There is one issue that is worth pointing out. AFAIK baggage transfer can actually be a funny one. There is a transfer service, however, sometimes even with connecting flights they don't allow you to transfer/check in outside their minimum times. So if you have a flight with an 8 hour wait in LAX you may have to keep an eye on your bags until you can check them again.

How do I know this? I booked someone to New York on a connecting flight. At LA they had to simply wait. There was no problem with it, but they simply weren't allowed to check their bags for a while!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

Thanks for your replies.

I have a two hour gap at SFO before I take the United 's connected flight to Seattle.

I believe that Air NZ would tag my baggage to the final destination even though I fly United from SFO to SEA.

How is the SFO as an airport?

Are there separate belts for separate airlines for rechecking baggage after exiting through customs?

Is a two hour gap between flights sufficient? Does baggage accompany the passenger and is left behind for a successive flight due to time constraints?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

I have a two hour gap at SFO before I take the United 's connected flight to Seattle.

I believe that Air NZ would tag my baggage to the final destination even though I fly United from SFO to SEA.

How is the SFO as an airport?

Are there separate belts for separate airlines for rechecking baggage after exiting through customs?

Is a two hour gap between flights sufficient? Does baggage accompany the passenger and is left behind for a successive flight due to time constraints?
When we flew here we had a week in Phoenix, then when we left Phoenix to come to NZ via LA we checked in our bags at PhX and then we didn't need to worry about them until Auckland so we had no probs whatsoever, We were a little concerned not having to get them but all was well and they were there waiting for us in Auckland. however, they did say we wouldn't see them until Christchurch but that was wrong, as Auckland was the point of entry into NZ we had to collect them there and go through customs and then onto domestic flights. Hope that helps.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shirl
When we flew here we had a week in Phoenix, then when we left Phoenix to come to NZ via LA we checked in our bags at PhX and then we didn't need to worry about them until Auckland so we had no probs whatsoever, We were a little concerned not having to get them but all was well and they were there waiting for us in Auckland. however, they did say we wouldn't see them until Christchurch but that was wrong, as Auckland was the point of entry into NZ we had to collect them there and go through customs and then onto domestic flights. Hope that helps.
Thanks for you reply.

Port of Entry into NZ is usually AKL although some international flights fly to CHC.

Did you walk from international terminal to domestic terminal in Auckland OR did you take a airport shuttle bus? My flight is back at 5 AM in AKL. Is Shuttle bus available at that time?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:40 am
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

Did you walk from international terminal to domestic terminal in Auckland OR did you take a airport shuttle bus? My flight is back at 5 AM in AKL. Is Shuttle bus available at that time?
We usually walk. After 12 hours with my knees under my chin in "Cattle" class I look forward to a 20 minute walk
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NakiMan
We usually walk. After 12 hours with my knees under my chin in "Cattle" class I look forward to a 20 minute walk
With all your bags and carry-ons ofcourse
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but get a trolly and push it your luggage to domestics. It is a very refreshing walk.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 5:07 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I always walk. You can check your bags in at the international terminal rather than have to carry them over to the domestic terminal. After going through customs, turn left and you can do it there for your domestic flight.
No need to carry them unless you want to of course
Old Feb 27th 2009, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shirl
Yes but get a trolly and push it your luggage to domestics. It is a very refreshing walk.
Walking from one terminal to another is pleasant if there less or no baggage and ofcourse it isn't raining.

My flight touches down at 5 AM at AKL. Hope the shuttle service is present at that hour.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue R
I always walk. You can check your bags in at the international terminal rather than have to carry them over to the domestic terminal. After going through customs, turn left and you can do it there for your domestic flight.
No need to carry them unless you want to of course
Does Air NZ has a baggage transfer belt at INTL terminal? Is it necessary to again queue up at check-in counters along with other domestic passengers to re-submit the bags to Air NZ?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Does Air NZ has a baggage transfer belt at INTL terminal? Is it necessary to again queue up at check-in counters along with other domestic passengers to re-submit the bags to Air NZ?
No I recall you have to check in your luggage again at domestic as you may have your cases inspected at International. But as they have been checked they don't need to do them again I recall.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 6:55 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
You have to get your bags off the carousel at the Intl terminal, go through customs and then you drop them off at the domestic terminal either next door to the intl terminal or walk/shuttle bus to the domestic terminal. Either way you have to queue up to hand your bags over. You should have your boarding pass right through to your final destination anyway and it's just a case of the bags being weighed and taken away.
If you booked all the flights together then you will be able to take the same baggage allowance onto the domestic flight. I had 46kg +2 pieces of hand luggage

I don't know if the shuttle bus runs at that time in the morning but the walk is not long and is easy to follow.
Hope this helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.