Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand - awkward situation!

Air New Zealand - awkward situation!

Old Nov 10th 2013, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air New Zealand - awkward situation!

I flew from WLG to AKL recently. First to board were those passengers that needed assistance (several in wheelchairs).

One wheelchair passenger was seated in an aisle seat (across from my aisle seat) and his companion next to him. When general boarding commenced, an (unconnected) female passenger who was allocated the window seat in that row had an awkward situation because the disabled man couldn't move his legs so she had to climb over him and his companion. He was a big man and the window seat passenger was fortunate to be agile enough to climb over both of them.

However, this made me think that if a large framed passenger was in the window seat, it would have been impossible and/or extremely undignified to climb over the disabled passenger.

Has anybody else experienced this situation from either perspective?
Old Nov 10th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air New Zealand - awkward situation!

Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
I flew from WLG to AKL recently. First to board were those passengers that needed assistance (several in wheelchairs).

One wheelchair passenger was seated in an aisle seat (across from my aisle seat) and his companion next to him. When general boarding commenced, an (unconnected) female passenger who was allocated the window seat in that row had an awkward situation because the disabled man couldn't move his legs so she had to climb over him and his companion. He was a big man and the window seat passenger was fortunate to be agile enough to climb over both of them.

However, this made me think that if a large framed passenger was in the window seat, it would have been impossible and/or extremely undignified to climb over the disabled passenger.

Oo not good! I always worry if I'm by the window and unknown seated neighbours are asleep and I need to use the facilities!!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm View Post
Oo not good! I always worry if I'm by the window and unknown seated neighbours are asleep and I need to use the facilities!!
Never bothers me, I just wake em up and tell em to shift
Old Nov 11th 2013, 3:04 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If you were in this situation in future you could try using it to get an upgrade!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Not on a domestic flight!!
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:06 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I did wonder about that. Best I could think was upgraded sit up front with the pilot.

The airline should block the other seat in the interests of safety if nothing else.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 4:50 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha - I haven't flown internally for a very long time.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh View Post
Ha ha - I haven't flown internally for a very long time.