British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Air New Zealand - awkward situation! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/air-new-zealand-awkward-situation-814713/)

cappuccino Nov 10th 2013 5:56 am

Air New Zealand - awkward situation!

I flew from WLG to AKL recently. First to board were those passengers that needed assistance (several in wheelchairs).

One wheelchair passenger was seated in an aisle seat (across from my aisle seat) and his companion next to him. When general boarding commenced, an (unconnected) female passenger who was allocated the window seat in that row had an awkward situation because the disabled man couldn't move his legs so she had to climb over him and his companion. He was a big man and the window seat passenger was fortunate to be agile enough to climb over both of them.

However, this made me think that if a large framed passenger was in the window seat, it would have been impossible and/or extremely undignified to climb over the disabled passenger.

Has anybody else experienced this situation from either perspective?

j19fmm Nov 10th 2013 6:36 am

Re: Air New Zealand - awkward situation!

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10984390)
I flew from WLG to AKL recently. First to board were those passengers that needed assistance (several in wheelchairs).

One wheelchair passenger was seated in an aisle seat (across from my aisle seat) and his companion next to him. When general boarding commenced, an (unconnected) female passenger who was allocated the window seat in that row had an awkward situation because the disabled man couldn't move his legs so she had to climb over him and his companion. He was a big man and the window seat passenger was fortunate to be agile enough to climb over both of them.

However, this made me think that if a large framed passenger was in the window seat, it would have been impossible and/or extremely undignified to climb over the disabled passenger.

Oo not good! I always worry if I'm by the window and unknown seated neighbours are asleep and I need to use the facilities!! :blink:

Justcol Nov 11th 2013 3:00 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 10984412)
Oo not good! I always worry if I'm by the window and unknown seated neighbours are asleep and I need to use the facilities!! :blink:

Never bothers me, I just wake em up and tell em to shift:thumbsup:

jmh Nov 11th 2013 3:04 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10984390)

If you were in this situation in future you could try using it to get an upgrade!

cappuccino Nov 11th 2013 4:04 am

Not on a domestic flight!!

BEVS Nov 11th 2013 4:06 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10985449)

I did wonder about that. Best I could think was upgraded sit up front with the pilot. :D

The airline should block the other seat in the interests of safety if nothing else.

jmh Nov 11th 2013 4:50 am

Originally Posted by cappuccino (Post 10985449)

Ha ha - I haven't flown internally for a very long time.

chippy64 Nov 11th 2013 6:05 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 10985484)
Ha ha - I haven't flown internally for a very long time.

:eek: