British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Air fares from New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/air-fares-new-zealand-291892/)

Tiand Mar 23rd 2005 11:35 am

Air fares from New Zealand

When I book an airfare online from NZ to UK, it seems to be 40% higher than from UK to NZ on the same dates. Does anyone know a way around this?

JWW Mar 23rd 2005 8:48 pm

Re: Air fares from New Zealand

Originally Posted by Tiand
When I book an airfare online from NZ to UK, it seems to be 40% higher than from UK to NZ on the same dates. Does anyone know a way around this?

You can use a UK credit card to book online as long as you use a UK address.
If you go back regulary, always book the return flights while in the UK.

So, buy a one way from NZ to UK (always good deals) and from then onwards always buy the UK to NZ returns on a UK website with a UK credit card.

Roger Mar 24th 2005 10:08 am

We've been doing the buying the return trip from the UK on the internet trick for our last two trips. Problem is that you have to return to UK within one year of arriving home (i.e NZ), and also often have to restructure the second flight (at a cost!), as they only allow you to arrange the return to UK about 12 months from booking.
e.g I see good deals in March for my trip to UK in June. Book on the internet. However have to give a return date within 12 months from date of booking, although I CAN return the following June, this I can not book. Thus make a provisional booking for Feb next year (whoever imagined going to the UK in Feb other than get on a plane to the ALPS). After the June I rearrange my flight for the following May at an extra £50!

The flights are better from the UK as we POMS in NZ are effectively booking flights to NZ in the off-season (who comes here for hols in Jun other than to Ski)!

However if I was booking my flight to the UK in June from NZ it is UK higher season thus the flights are more. Could go cheaper in Feb, but.....................

Clearer?

Roger

P.S. I have been trying to get a refund for the flight to UK as I would rather go diving in The Solomons for a similar price all in. Only miss the curries in Blighty, oops and the rellies! The wife likes to go regular but she'll be going without me in the future, reminds me of why I left - it's going down the pan even if there is good central heating.

Tiand Mar 24th 2005 10:27 am

Originally Posted by JWW

So, buy a one way from NZ to UK (always good deals) and from then onwards always buy the UK to NZ returns on a UK website with a UK credit card.

Thanks, I had thought of that, though it seems a bit of a hassle the savings really make it worth while :)

Tiand Mar 24th 2005 10:30 am

Originally Posted by JWW

Thanks for that. I had thought of this as an option, but hoped to find a way with less restrictions.

Tiand Mar 24th 2005 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Roger
We've been doing the buying the return trip from the UK on the internet trick for our last two trips. Problem is that you have to return to UK within one year of arriving home (i.e NZ), and also often have to restructure the second flight (at a cost!), as they only allow you to arrange the return to UK about 12 months from booking.
e.g I see good deals in March for my trip to UK in June. Book on the internet. However have to give a return date within 12 months from date of booking, although I CAN return the following June, this I can not book. Thus make a provisional booking for Feb next year (whoever imagined going to the UK in Feb other than get on a plane to the ALPS). After the June I rearrange my flight for the following May at an extra £50!

The flights are better from the UK as we POMS in NZ are effectively booking flights to NZ in the off-season (who comes here for hols in Jun other than to Ski)!

However if I was booking my flight to the UK in June from NZ it is UK higher season thus the flights are more. Could go cheaper in Feb, but.....................

Clearer?

Roger

P.S. I have been trying to get a refund for the flight to UK as I would rather go diving in The Solomons for a similar price all in. Only miss the curries in Blighty, oops and the rellies! The wife likes to go regular but she'll be going without me in the future, reminds me of why I left - it's going down the pan even if there is good central heating.

Thanks, it solves one of my issues about the proposed move. We have a grown up son who we want to visit often. My other main issue still to solve is the money and cost of living. I think we will be ok - we will have enough to buy a house and a little spare, so we will have to still work, but I keep reading all this negative stuff about cost of living and can't help but feel a bit apprehensive. In UK, we have a good standard of living, but the stress etc is sure to lead one of us to a heart attack and NZ looks like a much better lifestyle. I don't mind not having fancy materialistic things, but a little travel is important to me.

SteveDK Mar 25th 2005 7:52 am

Hi, my first post and am interested in this since a move to NZ is something we´re seriously considering.

So, re: air fares. The best way of doing it is to fly 1-way from NZ and then book a return from UK, providing you have a UK credit card? That seems weird but OK - the big question is - after all that´s taken into account - how much does an average return journey cost per adult and child? Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance! :)

javajive Mar 25th 2005 8:13 am

Originally Posted by SteveDK
Hi, my first post and am interested in this since a move to NZ is something we´re seriously considering.

So, re: air fares. The best way of doing it is to fly 1-way from NZ and then book a return from UK, providing you have a UK credit card? That seems weird but OK - the big question is - after all that´s taken into account - how much does an average return journey cost per adult and child? Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance! :)

If you are starting from the UK then you would be better just buying a return when you first go to NZ (difference between one way & return is not double).

Re Cost: Really depends on the season (European summer & Christmas cost more), availablity and how far in advance you book. To give you an idea a return for an adult (Economy) would be in the 500-800GBP reange, child fares 2-12 two thirds of adult price. Under 2 year olds 10% of adult price. These are only rough figures, best to goto some online sites and try doing some bookings. I find www.flynow.com is good for comparing several airlines at once.

On a lighter note, My wife and kids (11 & 13) recently got upgraded to business on a flight. Now my kids have decided they only want to travel business or first class! So watch out for upgrades they may change your expectations....
;)