Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ahhhh offer accepted on the house, still no idea where we are heading what to do next

Ahhhh offer accepted on the house, still no idea where we are heading what to do next

Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:20 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all
Default Ahhhh offer accepted on the house, still no idea where we are heading what to do next

Hi All,

without wanting to jinx matters, we spoke with agents last week, the house hasn't even gone on the market and we have accepted an offer! Holy Smoke. all chain free so will move quickly hopefully

We have a flat here we can move into in the interim so that is one less headache - no moving in with parents.

However what on earth do we do next, I am assuming that we will pop everything into storage and that will cost us the earth.

I just have no idea if we will be in Timaru, Christchurch or even Wellington
Has anyone else gone about it in this upside down way that we have?

Realistically we probably wont move on out until the new year - i'm just panicking about the storage costs and the lack or certainty of where we will be heading.

AND BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:59 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahhhh offer accepted on the house, still no idea where we are heading what to do

Congratulations, I think

Though it'll cause you more hassle now, I'd say go for it! Most people have trouble selling their houses and that impacts on their move to NZ.
I take it the flat you're moving into is too small for all your belongings? Can you put as much as possible into the flat and reduce your storage costs?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 4:54 pm
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all
Default Re: Ahhhh offer accepted on the house, still no idea where we are heading what to do

I think we will have to consider that perhaps split it up and put some in my folks house/garage too. Exciting but stressful times ahead I think!

But like you said I would take the stress over not being able to sell it. Won't count our chickens until the buyers have signed on the dotted line though!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:36 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the house sale.

We were in much the same position in January 2011. We sold our house in the middle of the month, leaving us with no where to live for six weeks before we left for NZ. We cobbled something together, but that's a whole other story.

OK, you don't have a definite date for leaving Britain yet and we had our flights booked.

This is where finding your own path to NZ starts. It's probably already started. Good luck concentrating on the processes of the move etc without your, 'anchor point' i.e. your home.

Would you consider buying your one-way tickets to NZ just now so you have a definite leaving date ? OK, it's not clear where you will be heading for, but Christchurch will be your, 'hub' airport I'm guessing. Or Wellington as I've just re-read your post.

How are you getting on looking for work ? Have you submitted your visa application ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 7th 2013 at 5:40 pm. Reason: wanted to add an, 'etc'.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Pinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of lightPinksar is a glorious beacon of light

Congratulations! We're still trying to sell ours but as we leave to head over there in less than 7 weeks, I'm resigned to the fact it'll be sold after we leave some storage companies over here do long terms offers so maybe try and get a few quotes. Good luck with everything!
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hope you are breathing.

Congrats on the house sale.

Nothing like a bit of camping before you emigrate.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments, this forum is fantastic. Although our close family know our plans everything is very hush hush at the moment, I guess we don't want to jinx things and also we are fed up of other peoples negative opinions so we are keep our little dream to ourselves for the moment - fab to have you guys to ping ideas off Thank you !!

Don't get me wrong I know it is a bit mean to say to friends - we're of to NZ in 4 months see ya, but i think everyone is half expecting it anyway as my brother now lives in Australia.

Once the house has had its searches done and we are near completion we will tell people - but as you all know its not over until the money land in your bank account.

It is quite fun sat here at work plotting and planning and my poor boss has no idea! he is going to die when I tell him.

So I will be on to removals firms today to get them over to have a look at all of our junk. We will move into my hubbys flat - never thought i would thank a tenant for leaving but this is perfect timing. Then need to plan the move.

I am lucky I have worked in the travel industry and have some lovely contacts who have held off seats on almost all variations of route for me to give me time to make up my mind - Middle of Feb and we are off! I think we will fly to CHC first as my parents are due to be in Timaru visiting my aunt for a week for my dads birthday so a nice family week (to convince them they too want to move to NZ) before starting the job hunt.

I think I am going to have to leave all of our stuff in storage until I get a job, worried that if CHC doesn't work out we will have to try Wellington and then our stuff will be on the wrong ship :-)

I have my 12 months work visa but cant start the Skilled Migrant EOI until i have a job offer so I will need to crack on job hunting as soon as I land if not in the weeks before. CV is almost there ready to go.

Sorry I am rabbling on ! Thank you all again for the support !!
Old Aug 10th 2013, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Congrats on the offer on your home....

Have you considered taking this early offer on your house as an opportunity to downsize your belongings, so they fit in the flat - which in turn may enable you to ship them cheaper....

When we came 8 years ago we brought 25 boxes with us...that's it..

No furniture except for an old family sea chest which we filled with dvd's & fav books.....our kids had 2 boxes each for their fav toys & keep sakes..they were 5, 7 & 8....we just brought what was sentimental & irreplaceable with us....

We found this made it easier cos once we arrived & found a rental we could buy our furniture to suit the house and not have to camp in the house....I couldn't think of anything worse than sleeping on an air mattress for 8 weeks. You need good sleep so you can focus on all the other stuff going on & good rest is important for de-stressing....

If/when I go back to the uk I will do the same...only take back the things I love.

But everyone is different....you have to weigh up the cost of replacing like for like.

I did this the other day and by the time I add the cost of shipping my furniture etc back & waiting for it be delivered vs buying similar or better in the uk...I will buy back in the uk....also no worry of the heartache of stuff being damaged during shipping...

Plus most of my stuff I have brought here is old and crappy now....perhaps this is just a rouse to get new stuff.....

Good luck with whatever you decide....x

Last edited by pixiewink; Aug 10th 2013 at 3:14 am.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Congratulations on the house sale, that's such a positive in these uncertain times. Yes its exciting and yes its VERY stressful, but a good stress if that makes sense. I've been moaning like mad about the stress of it all to my friends but at the end of the day we chose to do it. Good luck!

Karen
Old Aug 11th 2013, 10:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

hope it all goes to plan