Ahhh!

Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Ahhh!

Hi,

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I guessed and hoped i wasn't the only one with unsupportive parents.

Looking forward to making our new life (in Methven, Mid Canterbury), but i don't hold out much hope of parents or sister visiting. Mum's already make a comment that she assumes we'll be making annual trips back!!!!! I haven't told her we have no plans for the first few years - don't need more agro!!

Look forward to reading more useful and supportive info on the forum, its been a great help.

Thanks, Judy
Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:54 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi,

Thanks for all the supportive comments. I guessed and hoped i wasn't the only one with unsupportive parents.

Looking forward to making our new life (in Methven, Mid Canterbury), but i don't hold out much hope of parents or sister visiting. Mum's already make a comment that she assumes we'll be making annual trips back!!!!! I haven't told her we have no plans for the first few years - don't need more agro!!

Look forward to reading more useful and supportive info on the forum, its been a great help.

Thanks, Judy
My friend and her family live in Methven - last winter wasn't too bad, but this year she was snowed in for three days in early June, that was an unusually big dump of snow though. It is so pretty there, a lovely small town close to really good outdoorsy stuff. The skiing at close range is just superb, can't be beat. My friend commutes into ChCh for work, luckily work is on the western side of town, but with petrol prices and less daylight in winter she wouldn't recommend it.
Annual trips back is pretty unlikely - with three or four weeks annual leave it is pretty hard to spend that all in going back to the UK when there is so much to see and do in NZ, not to mention the cost would make that out of reach for everybody I know.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:42 am
Just Joined

simonjb is a jewel in the roughsimonjb is a jewel in the roughsimonjb is a jewel in the roughsimonjb is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Hi,

Thanks, Judy
See, already they are mellowing hoping you will be back to visit. When you do go back you will probably both find time too precious and enjoy yourselves. Maybe after a few visits back, mention how lovely february will be in NZ compared to the UK.

If people have said to me don't go but then on the other hand they know we are. I guess its a way of expressing how they feel towards you. If i replied back to them 'ok , i wont go then because you want me to stay' they either wouldnt believe me or would feel guilty and selfish themselves. Then it turns into 'You cant stay just for me'!

Not sure how helpful this is but if people dont want you to go arent they the ones being selfish?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Apple12
My friend and her family live in Methven - last winter wasn't too bad, but this year she was snowed in for three days in early June, that was an unusually big dump of snow though. It is so pretty there, a lovely small town close to really good outdoorsy stuff. The skiing at close range is just superb, can't be beat. My friend commutes into ChCh for work, luckily work is on the western side of town, but with petrol prices and less daylight in winter she wouldn't recommend it.
Annual trips back is pretty unlikely - with three or four weeks annual leave it is pretty hard to spend that all in going back to the UK when there is so much to see and do in NZ, not to mention the cost would make that out of reach for everybody I know.
Hi,

Neil was in NZ a week before the snow and friends have emailed photo's. Don't fancy the commute to ChCh fortunately Neil will be working in Methven and once I've sorted the children in school and pre-school I'll think about working locally.
Annual trips are very unlikely!!! Want to spend our holidays seeing NZ, Oz and other areas closer.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

we were really lucky, our families have been fantastic through out, my parents are coming out this christmas, my best mate in march (fingers crossed) & hubs parents & brother next christmas. We web cam every week.
I agree that if i was more dependant on th efamily it would be tough, but although i've always been near to my folks we were never in each others pockets. The in laws live a couple of hours away, although i do miss shopping with MIL, boy can that woman shop!!
As an only child with the only grandchildren i did feel very guilty about leaving, but i was fairly certain the in laws will come to live here, so i disscussed with my parents if they would consider & they said they would, so hopefully they too will come to live.
All our friends & family said the 'wish it was us, doing the right thing' etc etc which made it easier, its only when i look back now i realise how brave we were. My grandad is 82 & in a nursing home with Parkinson's & its upsetting to think i may not see him again, when i went to say goodbye he was fairly dosy which made it easier for me, but i write regularly which he loves & i'm going to send him a video email this week for a change so he can 'see' us.
My nan died 2 days before our medical (acout 9 mths before we left) & if she'd have known the sh!t really would have hit the fan, she'd have gone mental. But we never had to go down that route.
we love it here & hopefully so will the folks when they come, i still feel very responsible for them, & miss them awfully but i have my own family to look after & thye realise that.
I hope all your families will to
Best wishes to all