British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   aggravated (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/aggravated-576008/)

Andy in FLA Nov 30th 2008 2:29 pm

aggravated

I was just listening to a radio phone in and it got round to the First World War footy match and the host said 'oh yaeh I was reading about that, it's where the Americans and the Germans had a soccer game in no mans land wasn't it'? and the guy on the phone agreed. The Brits apparently had nothing to do with and I doubt if we were even there in their minds!

tonrob Nov 30th 2008 2:34 pm

Re: aggravated

Originally Posted by Andy in FLA (Post 7023183)
I was just listening to a radio phone in and it got round to the First World War footy match and the host said 'oh yaeh I was reading about that, it's where the Americans and the Germans had a soccer game in no mans land wasn't it'? and the guy on the phone agreed. The Brits apparently had nothing to do with and I doubt if we were even there in their minds!

Have a nice cup of tea - everything seems better after a nice cup of tea. ;)

chartreuse Nov 30th 2008 3:03 pm

An old one, but it might cheer you up :D

In response to the increased concerns over international terrorism, many countries have now raised their levels of warnings on national security issues .

The French government announced that it has raised its terror alert level from RUN to HIDE. Two higher levels remain SURRENDER and COLLABORATE.

The Italians have increased their alert level from SHOUT LOUDLY to ELABORATE MILITARY POSTURING. Two more levels remain INEFFECTIVE COMBAT OPERATIONS and CHANGE SIDES.

The Germans also increased their level from DISDAINFUL ARROGANCE to DRESS IN UNIFORM AND SING MARCHING SONGS. They have two more levels - INVADE A NEIGHBOUR and LOSE.

Seeing this, the Americans have gone from ISOLATIONISM to FIND SOMEWHERE RIPE FOR REGIME CHANGE. Their higher levels are TAKE ON THE WORLD and ASK THE BRITISH FOR HELP.

Finally, here in the UK we have gone from PRETEND NOTHING HAS HAPPENED to MAKE ANOTHER CUP OF TEA. Our higher levels are REMAIN RESOLUTELY CHEERFUL and WIN!

Mummy in the foothills Nov 30th 2008 3:47 pm

Yeah, the rest of the world doesn't exist or matter here :thumbdown:
I was watching the news about the terror attacks in Mumbai (sp) and they announced that the terrorists were looking for people with American passports, even though the interview with one of the people who escaped had clearly said UK and US passports. We don't matter :sneaky::frown:

britvic Nov 30th 2008 10:34 pm

A sad fact of life over this side of the pond :frown:

Patrick Hasler Nov 30th 2008 11:17 pm

Americans have this way of changing story's.
U571 for instance was captured and taken over by Royal Marines, not US Navy Seals.

Bluegrass Lass Nov 30th 2008 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7024354)
U571 for instance was captured and taken over by Royal Marines, not US Navy Seals.

Yes, but we know that Hollywood doesn't give a rats a$$ about getting history right do they? It's all about selling the movie. If they thought they could make a good movie about the the Rebels losing the War of Independence against Britain, they would probably make it.

penguinsix Dec 1st 2008 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7024354)

Actually the U571 was sunk by an RAAF plane off the coast of Ireland and was not seized. The US captured the U505, the Canadians got the U774 and the British seized several others starting with the U110 (the first Enigma that was captured). The movie had quite a bit of fiction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-571

"On January 28, 1944 she was attacked by an Australian-crewed Sunderland aircraft from No. 461 Squadron RAAF west of Ireland and was destroyed by depth charges.[1] The aircraft's captain, Flight Lieutenant R. D. Lucas, reported that most of the crew successfully abandoned ship, but soon died from hypothermia. U-571 sank with all hands — 52 dead — at 52°41′N 14°27′WCoordinates: 52°41′N 14°27′W. She had not suffered any casualties to her crew during her career until then. The plane, EK577 (callsign "D for Dog"), was crewed partly by Royal Air Force (RAF) personnel and was based at RAF Pembroke Dock, in Wales. The crew was Lucas, Sgt J. R. Brannan (RAF, a Canadian), F/Sgt W. J. Darcey, Sgt D. Musson (RAF), F/Sgt S. T. Burnett, Sgt D. McWalker (RAF), Flying Officer (F/O) H. D. Roberts, F/Sgt G. H. Simmonds (RAF), F/O R. H. Prentice, and F/Sgt C. D. Bremner."

penguinsix Dec 1st 2008 12:18 am

I was just listening to a radio phone in and it got round to the First World War footy match and the host said 'oh yaeh I was reading about that, it's where the Americans and the Germans had a soccer game in no mans land wasn't it'?

I'm actually reading that book right now--Silent Night.

http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Night-S.../dp/0452283671