British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   agency scams (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/agency-scams-463703/)

kerrone Jul 5th 2007 5:31 am

agency scams

Hi All,

My wife and I wish to follow our dream and move to NZ. As I have read truck drivers are in demand over there so I thought this may be our passport to a new life. I have been a truckee for 20 years here in the uk.
We have been looking on the job sites but no luck. We have spoken to an agency and yes they can offer me work but yes you guessed it £1500.
Thing is, how do we find out if these are just scams, we don't mind paying if it gets the result. Anyone offer advise please.

Thanks Paul

sirplug Jul 5th 2007 7:00 am

Re: agency scams

Originally Posted by kerrone (Post 5010786)
Hi All,

My wife and I wish to follow our dream and move to NZ. As I have read truck drivers are in demand over there so I thought this may be our passport to a new life. I have been a truckee for 20 years here in the uk.
We have been looking on the job sites but no luck. We have spoken to an agency and yes they can offer me work but yes you guessed it £1500.
Thing is, how do we find out if these are just scams, we don't mind paying if it gets the result. Anyone offer advise please.

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

Good luck, do a quick thread search on truck driving and read the threads by phil01. He is also a trucker, as am I, and used an agency to find work.

All the best, Paul:thumbup:

RADI Jul 5th 2007 7:07 am

£1500 would be better spent on airfares to come over first for a reccie trip then look for work whilst here .We did that and I had interviews in Wellington ,Auckland and Whangerei.Took the job in Welly and never looked back since we got here 6 months after first doing the trip last feb.
Jobs are advertised on Trade Me .co .nz ,local papers or you could join a job agency here for a lot less money.Good luck and give it a bash:thumbup:
btw I was going to suggest Phil01 as well

phil01 Jul 5th 2007 7:29 am

Hi All,

Thanks Paul

They are the agency we used Paul...like in the UK you can't expect people to work for nothing if it was that easy getting a job...you, me and many others would of got one for ourselves. They didn't scam me and rubini another off this site as well as Marika & Tim and a few others are all using the same agency...it comes down to choice. If you can get yourself sorted then do it, but I couldn't!

rockape Jul 5th 2007 8:47 am

Sorry for butting in, but there is a lot of jobs for truckies out there.
As I have my HGV2 only but hardly use it.

But have you tryied the good old phone to call companies and ask them as I have found out if they don't reply to emails cold calling helps as they like to talk direct to the person and it may work or not.
And if its the phone bill your worried about try Skype its cheap.

regards
:thumbsup:

TeamEmbo Jul 5th 2007 8:49 am

Are you talking about an immigration agent or a work agency who will simply find you a job, cos I thought I'd read somewhere that it wasn't legal for you to be charged for this. The agent who finds you work gets paid by the company that employs you and that you shouldn't be asked to pay anything up front. We used agencies to get interviews/employment and we weren't asked and indeed have not paid any of them, even the one we got the job through.

kato33 Jul 5th 2007 9:09 am

Originally Posted by rockape (Post 5011290)
Sorry for butting in, but there is a lot of jobs for truckies out there.
As I have my HGV2 only but hardly use it.

But have you tryied the good old phone to call companies and ask them as I have found out if they don't reply to emails cold calling helps as they like to talk direct to the person and it may work or not.
And if its the phone bill your worried about try Skype its cheap.

regards
:thumbsup:

We fired loads of emails over to various companies and DID get a job offer, but we are still using the agency Phil01 have suggested as they sort the visa too.

I will say though that most companies did reply even if it was to say they dont recruit drivers or will keep details on file. More than employers in the UK have done.

Talk talk also do a cheap deal. £10 a month and you can call NZ or OZ for free for an hour, put the phone down and call again. YAY!!!

Am Loolah Jul 5th 2007 9:20 am

Hi All,

Thanks Paul

Dont pay any money up front. Know a few kiwi truck drivers here who have all said don't use an agency. There are loads of jobs on trade me for truck drivers. Give that a go if you can open an account or find an agency who will find you a job then take payment. Chrysallis is one i've heard of who do this. They will find you a job for twenty dollars an hour and tell you it's seventeen and take three dollars for every hour that you work for as long as your there. I know that trade me currently has listings for 141 courier/drivers jobs. And you can't buy Yorkie bars here. :rofl:

kato33 Jul 5th 2007 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5011391)
Dont pay any money up front. Know a few kiwi truck drivers here who have all said don't use an agency. There are loads of jobs on trade me for truck drivers. Give that a go if you can open an account or find an agency who will find you a job then take payment. Chrysallis is one i've heard of who do this. They will find you a job for twenty dollars an hour and tell you it's seventeen and take three dollars for every hour that you work for as long as your there. I know that trade me currently has listings for 141 courier/drivers jobs. And you can't buy Yorkie bars here. :rofl:

But we cant get an account with trade me from here AmLoolah.

I thought Chrysalis had a good rep??

Oh what will I do now.

karonious Jul 5th 2007 9:29 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5011399)
But we cant get an account with trade me from here AmLoolah.

I thought Chrysalis had a good rep??

Oh what will I do now.

Hmmmmmm - get pissed? :eek::rofl:
Oh, no, that's me! :beer::beer::beer:

kato33 Jul 5th 2007 9:36 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5011413)

For gods sake woman.........is that all you think about LMAO

I need an account on trade me, why cant I have one????

I want a job, why cant I get one????

I want to have a huge vat of whiskey on my doorstep when I get home, why cant I have one????

Am Loolah Jul 5th 2007 9:38 am

Originally Posted by karonious (Post 5011413)

Amazing how we can be on the phone one minute and on here the next????!!!:p

Hubby found out from a Kiwi truck driver that that is what Chrysalis do, all agencies do. He has said he'll give my Hubby numbers for anyone to call direct to his company who employ drivers. He also said there are loads of jobs going. the TradeMe thing from the UK is a bummer, we were fortunate to have a rellie here who let us use their address!:thumbup: Not much help I know!

karonious Jul 5th 2007 9:42 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5011434)
For gods sake woman.........is that all you think about LMAO

I need an account on trade me, why cant I have one????

I want a job, why cant I get one????

I want to have a huge vat of whiskey on my doorstep when I get home, why cant I have one????

We have all that here in sunny New Zealand! ;)

kato33 Jul 5th 2007 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 5011440)
Amazing how we can be on the phone one minute and on here the next????!!!:p

Hubby found out from a Kiwi truck driver that that is what Chrysalis do, all agencies do. He has said he'll give my Hubby numbers for anyone to call direct to his company who employ drivers. He also said there are loads of jobs going. the TradeMe thing from the UK is a bummer, we were fortunate to have a rellie here who let us use their address!:thumbup: Not much help I know!

Thats it, your my new best bud. :thumbsup:

Get me those details and there will be drink in it for ya, not that you need anymore by the sounds of it. :huh:

Your getting a call this weekend like it or not and I gather Karonious will be there too. Great! 2 piss heads to talk to so I might just have to join you on the phone.

Am Loolah Jul 5th 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by kato33 (Post 5011471)
Thats it, your my new best bud. :thumbsup:

Get me those details and there will be drink in it for ya, not that you need anymore by the sounds of it. :huh:

Your getting a call this weekend like it or not and I gather Karonious will be there too. Great! 2 piss heads to talk to so I might just have to join you on the phone.

Hubby doesn't drink, it's his new line of business, he wants paying??!!! And not in kind, "you slaaaaag", he wants yorkie bars???:p (Peanut & raisin he says?)