Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ageing Chinese Migrants A Concern?

Ageing Chinese Migrants A Concern?

Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ageing Chinese Migrants A Concern?

Before y'all get yourself in a tailspin immigration policy decides that parents of the wealthier folks get priority and have to show that they have income or family here to support them. The family category is the most oversubscribed with upto a seven year wait indicated for those that don't meet the tier one criteria.

Other immigration policies dicate that it is a selective process that encourages predominantly the wealthier / educated young asians here in the first place, so why the fuss if they subsequently try to get their similarly wealthy rellies here also - they have to go through the same health checks etc and it's by no means an easy passage. No different to many Poms on here. The article said that 1000 plus of the oldies that arrive last year were from the UK, but it appears that's acceptable and most only have a downer on the Asian contingent.

Regardless of creed or colour one has to work here for ten years before you are entitled to drawn an NZ pension.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Regardless of creed or colour one has to work here for ten years before you are entitled to drawn an NZ pension.
Not quite true ... you have to live here for 10yrs.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:46 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is that some people do contribute even though they don't get a salary. I know one Chinese family where Grandma has moved out here to look after the children while both the parents work.

Interesting to see the editorial in the Herald. I meet a lot of immigrants who are sliding through to Australia, and most plan to move their families with them once they have settled.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
The problem is that some people do contribute even though they don't get a salary. I know one Chinese family where Grandma has moved out here to look after the children while both the parents work.
Yep, just because you don't earn a salary doesn't mean that you don't contribute to society in a significant way. One prime example stay-at-home-mums or dads or grandparents.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

There are many grandparents here looking after the grandchildren in our neighbourhood. To my mind, those families will often stay together as customs dictates that they must. Hence they are often (at this stage) cared for in the latter years by their family. Therefore being less of a burden on the state than other elders of other cultures.

I met a Chinese nursing student (studying here in NZ). She was shocked to find that in NZ she would be expected to wash and feed patients because in China, the families take care of personal cares
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I met a Chinese nursing student (studying here in NZ). She was shocked to find that in NZ she would be expected to wash and feed patients because in China, the families take care of personal cares
In UK care assistants wash & feed patients not the nurses.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I get that, about the care assistants. What she said though, was that in Chinese hospitals, those cares are not undertaken by paid staff at all. That they are undertaken by family....
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

At least these elderly Asians work hard to keep the place clean and tidy, unlike some others we could mention. I saw an elderly lady this arvo, sitting on the roadside cutting the grass verge with a pair of scissors.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 10:43 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ageing Chinese Migrants A Concern?

Like or loath the Chinese you are bedfellows now. Also many of you are massive racists.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Also many of you are massive racists.
Agreed.

This is like a conversation with my Dad about ALL immigrants in the UK, despite his daughter in law and mother of one of his grandchildren being exactly that ...

"But that's different." He tells me ...

As it is, no-one can just emigrate to most countries on a wing and a prayer. Of all internet forums this one should understand that someone has paid through the nose for that immigrant to be granted the right to work and/or reside in that country.

All immigrants who get welfare benefit are legally entitled to it. Unless they're smart and are on the swindle. But most aren't. An illegal immigrant will not get anything of the sort and may well resort to crime, as referred to by Tom1983. Making them ever more illegal - it's this type of 'immigrant' that the tax paying electorate should be concerned about.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Also many of you are massive racists.
Please let me know who the many racists are on this thread? I have the decency to print my real name and don't like having mud slung around by some anonymous avatar.
I for one believe that a countries economy is a business. Should that business spend more than it recovers in taxes it is screwed. I stand behind my view that any citizen/migrant should contribute to a country for 10 years before receiving superannuation and if this is racist, you must be having too many cups of tea with Cherie.

This thread was probably started to rock the boat and well done it has.
Charismatic, please apologise to all contributors who you have slandered and have the balls to front up who you think is a racist.
Mods your input would be good.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:10 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, the title of this thread and the basic initial content was quoted from an exterior source.

Second, bearing in mind how emotive this thread could have become, until now, it has remained amazingly balanced.

Third, Mods and Admin have been keeping an eye on this thread and so far, none has considered it necessary to intervene.

Fourthly, the NZ government sets the rules for immigration and as long as those coming to NZ (from wherever) stick to the rules, then there is no real conversation to be had.

Top heavy, elderly, populations are becoming a potential problem in many countries, in terms of monetary, government assistance being available to support them. The U.K. is no exception.

I don't think I have seen anything massively racist in this thread. But then, that is just my opinion.

So, we can keep it nice and factual or we can close the thread.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:11 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Charismatic, please apologise to all contributors who you have slandered and have the balls to front up who you think is a racist. Mods your input would be good.
It's a sort of in-joke.

Unfortunately, for all of you, I feel guilty now and ponder that I should contribute more to the thread in a modest but informative and slightly tedious way.

Firstly before we start criticizing Asians maybe we should quantify the scale our own age demographic crisis, of our own making as well. One thing to keep in mind therefore is that we need them more than they need us to pad out our population with skilled workers.

Secondly most of the people reading this thread weren't born here, didn't contribute all their lives paying New Zealands taxes. I hope you will be declining benefits on principal during your latter years.

Thirdly who among us would be cold hearted enough to say that a peasant man who worked his whole life to send their child to school and university for a better life should be excluded from a better life in later years when that child fulfills his or her potential? Especially understanding that, for cultural and economic reasons, in many Asian families family is even more important than in the west. If striving to make a better life for yourself and your family isn't deserving of praise in our society it's not a society I would want any part of.

Fourthly (and by far the most important point I can contribute or ever have contributed to any discussion here) we humans are a compassionate species. I don't think it's a big step to reason that sometimes we can and should put the alleviating of suffering above slightly increasing our own economic prosperity. By comparison to most of Asia we still live in a society of abundant wealth and freedom, our primitive feelings of greed and resentment seem unfounded to me. Has life really left so hard and unkind to rob us of our inherent human kindness? I venture that without these qualities all is lost in our society anyway, if we are goose stepped into greed we will become a society materially rich and morally bankrupt. Surely progress in the sciences allowing better communication speaks to the goodness in men, the love in our hearts and gives us the power to create happiness. The earth delivers us an abundance of wealth, especially here, enough to give every man, woman and child what they need and more.

I hold no animosity or resentment for Asians or anyone else, we are all just trying to survive and find our unique and individual happiness in this life. Samey = samey.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you will be declining benefits on principal during your latter years
Firstly, thank you for replying.
Forgive me if I am touchy about a country living within it's means, but the last 15 years of UK life; the lunatics running the asylum have made me a tad bitter. Should I make it to retirement age, I will have contributed about 30 years of taxes/ACC levies and if I'm living in New Zealand I will happily draw a NZ pension.

I think developed countries are shafting younger generations, through higher living costs/educational fees etc, the lifestyle blessed to the baby boomer generation is now beyond reach to most of my friends. Just look at how later people are starting their families and the ages of first time buyers.

Must feel like a big kick in the guts if new international migrants are able to pay big money for housing/ entitled to a pension whilst you struggle to break free of educational debt/tread water on a low income and the cost of everything skyrockets.

Well done to Asians/Indians for being committed as a family units and helping their next generation financially. Sadly I'm not from this paradigm, but am a very lucky man.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It's a sort of in-joke.

Unfortunately, for all of you, I feel guilty now and ponder that I should contribute more to the thread in a modest but informative and slightly tedious way.

Firstly before we start criticizing Asians maybe we should quantify the scale our own age demographic crisis, of our own making as well. One thing to keep in mind therefore is that we need them more than they need us to pad out our population with skilled workers.

Secondly most of the people reading this thread weren't born here, didn't contribute all their lives paying New Zealands taxes. I hope you will be declining benefits on principal during your latter years.

Thirdly who among us would be cold hearted enough to say that a peasant man who worked his whole life to send their child to school and university for a better life should be excluded from a better life in later years when that child fulfills his or her potential? Especially understanding that, for cultural and economic reasons, in many Asian families family is even more important than in the west. If striving to make a better life for yourself and your family isn't deserving of praise in our society it's not a society I would want any part of.

Fourthly (and by far the most important point I can contribute or ever have contributed to any discussion here) we humans are a compassionate species. I don't think it's a big step to reason that sometimes we can and should put the alleviating of suffering above slightly increasing our own economic prosperity. By comparison to most of Asia we still live in a society of abundant wealth and freedom, our primitive feelings of greed and resentment seem unfounded to me. Has life really left so hard and unkind to rob us of our inherent human kindness? I venture that without these qualities all is lost in our society anyway, if we are goose stepped into greed we will become a society materially rich and morally bankrupt. Surely progress in the sciences allowing better communication speaks to the goodness in men, the love in our hearts and gives us the power to create happiness. The earth delivers us an abundance of wealth, especially here, enough to give every man, woman and child what they need and more.

I hold no animosity or resentment for Asians or anyone else, we are all just trying to survive and find our unique and individual happiness in this life. Samey = samey.
I don't really understand where you get the idea that we who contributed to this thread are not compassionate or massive racists? Can you please cite the passages which you think are racist so that people can maybe comment.

Last edited by Assanah; Apr 28th 2013 at 10:13 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.