Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Age Limits to Live in NZ?

Age Limits to Live in NZ?

Old Jul 10th 2014, 12:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Age Limits to Live in NZ?

SMC - Skilled Migrant Category
LTSSL - Long Term Skilled Shortage List
WTR - Work to Residency Visa.

With a SMC you get residency with travel restrictions, which can be lifted once you have been in NZ for a period of time after 2 years and have covered the other criteria. With the other two its more of a temp visa and you would then need to apply for Residency when you are eligible. So basically on a SMC you can apply for Citizenship after 5 years on the other two it would take 7 years if you obtain the right to Permanent Residency.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:22 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
SMC - Skilled Migrant Category
LTSSL - Long Term Skilled Shortage List
WTR - Work to Residency Visa.

With a SMC you get residency with travel restrictions, which can be lifted once you have been in NZ for a period of time after 2 years and have covered the other criteria. With the other two its more of a temp visa and you would then need to apply for Residency when you are eligible. So basically on a SMC you can apply for Citizenship after 5 years on the other two it would take 7 years if you obtain the right to Permanent Residency.
Flippin' heck. So I would almost be retired in the UK if I didn't go for the SMC and virtually dead in the UK if I didn't go for the other two.
Mmmmm. I have a lot to think about.
Thanks for your help Mrs Fychan
Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have a residency visa, its permanent, you don't have to get citizenship after 5 years if you don't want too.

One of my half brothers has citizenship and consequently NZ passport, the other one hasn't bothered and just has a PR visa in his UK passport and he's been here over 40 years with no trouble.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:58 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
You've lost me a bit there. What's a LTSSL and a WTR visa? And I don't understand the 'applying for residency' bit after two years. Sorry for being dumb with that
Oops, sorry about that, I do try and remember to give the meaning the first time I see MrsF has kindly filled you in

With a WTR visa you get a temp work visa that lasts 30 months. You need a job offer first and conditions do apply-not everyone will be able to get one. After you've worked for 2 years in that job you can convert to residency.

Under the SMC you apply for residency straight off

Everything is here: Immigration New Zealand | Official Government website

Only other way I can think of is if your partner is a NZer and you've lived with them for at least a year
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:53 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Persephone
Oops, sorry about that, I do try and remember to give the meaning the first time I see MrsF has kindly filled you in

With a WTR visa you get a temp work visa that lasts 30 months. You need a job offer first and conditions do apply-not everyone will be able to get one. After you've worked for 2 years in that job you can convert to residency.

Under the SMC you apply for residency straight off

Everything is here: Immigration New Zealand | Official Government website

Only other way I can think of is if your partner is a NZer and you've lived with them for at least a year
That's marvelous. Thank you so much for your help...and to everyone else too.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm amazeagey thafoge 55 limit.
I'm highly skilletgat Engineering, Mechanical by trade (currently QA Engineer in Aerospace) so maybe it would be worth taking a holiday to NZ and check it out.
Cheers for that
I think 55 to 65 is such a valuable age for an organisation too attract.

All that experience to pass on, and win win for both company and individual
Old Jul 13th 2014, 8:32 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Did you like it there? Some people tell me it cab get quite boring? And which is the best Island, north or south?
Which is best, London, Wales, The Outer Hebrides, Ireland? - they are all "best" depending on what you want. Same is true in NZ - otherwise we would all be wherever "best" is...
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:04 am
Moonbeast

Originally Posted by simonsi
Which is best, London, Wales, The Outer Hebrides, Ireland? - they are all "best" depending on what you want. Same is true in NZ - otherwise we would all be wherever "best" is...
Thanks, very helpful.
I do get the feeling though that I'll be bored sh*tless and I've never even been there.
Someone told me it's like there is a great party going on in the Northern hemisphere....but your not there.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jul 18th 2014 at 8:50 pm.