The Aftershock

Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Aftershock

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Note to Self; Make sure you are within walking distance of SarahB's place when the big one hits!!!!
hehe.... they were taken out the other month as they had expired... I bought some more to replace them from PacnSlave..... and I kinda ate all the expired ones myself.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Sadly I missed the last half of the programme last night as Hubby wanted to watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles ...

Cheryl, a lot of people say they wouldn't live here in the Mount or Papamoa as it is at serious risk of a tsunami if the worst happened. Think about it, it's a very narrow stretch of land/peninsular. They tested the tsunami warning last summer and I didn't even hear it - probably too bust shouting at the kids!

We don't have an emergency kit, nor do we know anyone who does, and I live my life by the premise of what will be will be (save your lectures people ... ) otherwise I'd find another reason not to get out of bed every morning.
Yes you have a good point there...que sera sera (??spelling )

Despite what I've heard about the fault lines and everything, I'd still rather be in Papamoa than here in not so sunny Chesterfield!

I haven't changed my mind!!

I suspect an ideal emergency kit for us would be a nice bottle of rose, a big tub of Bailey's Haagan Daas ice cream (bet they don't sell it in NZ!), oh & I suppose a couple of bags of crisps for the boys!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:19 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Yes you have a good point there...que sera sera (??spelling )

Despite what I've heard about the fault lines and everything, I'd still rather be in Papamoa than here in not so sunny Chesterfield!

I haven't changed my mind!!

I suspect an ideal emergency kit for us would be a nice bottle of rose, a big tub of Bailey's Haagan Daas ice cream (bet they don't sell it in NZ!), oh & I suppose a couple of bags of crisps for the boys!!
Only 1 bottle of Rose - now you really are being silly.

This might be useful for anyone considering getting prepared after last night's programme. It's a link to the recommended emergency kit.

http://www.eq-iq.org.nz/kitsandplans/survivalkit.aspx
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:24 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St George Six
Please don't say people don't know about the faults running the length of NZ we are on the most active fault line in the world and if you live here you are constantly being told to prepare for the big one, which will happen one day and if near a major city like Wellington will be catastrophic. We all live here in that knowlege you just prepare and hope it never happens in our life time, but as we are told it is over due.

We actually have several strand of the Alpine Fault at the end of our road .
Actually we do have the basics there in the garage like tent, water, gas stove etc and as my DH is the hunter gatherer of the family, we also have several firearms and fishing rods to hand too
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Only 1 bottle of Rose - now you really are being silly.
Yeah, its got to last you 3 days you know!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

3 days? O dear...I'd best stock up with a few more then....& possibly a few 6 packs for the OH!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

www.tv3.co.nz

click on 'online extras' then under '3 to watch' select 'Aftershock'
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Liz & Co
www.tv3.co.nz

click on 'online extras' then under '3 to watch' select 'Aftershock'
Of course, for a small fee, we could divulge a man we know who'll have a spare crate of Bollinger couldn't we Liz?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Of course, for a small fee, we could divulge a man we know who'll have a spare crate of Bollinger couldn't we Liz?
he's on my list of places to loot!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:57 am

It is after all practically en-route for our "heading to the hills"

(Do you think he'll keep my fags dry ...)
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Atleast have some bottled water handy somewherer!! And lots of matches/lighter in a plastic ziplock bag. And a torch with batteries. Easy enough to head off to the kitchen right now and just fill up even a few plastic bottles/containers with water and store near the door with torch and matches - before i'ts out of mind again...

We went through an ice storm some years back that knocked the power out for something like 5 days, with 2 young children including a 1-year old. We had no working fireplace, almost no food. No one - i.e. 'the authorities' - ever did come to our rescue in all that time (most neigbourhoods were snowed/iced in and power lines and trees were down in the streets, etc), we were totally on our own, and that experience was a real eye opener. We were so cold at night we weren't sure our little one would make it through alive, yet people seemed to just assume we were OK even when we did try to tell a few neighbours that we were really hurting and needed help - they just were not responsive, not one offered to even take our kids in, even though a few had fireplaces going. Nobody went into any semblance of 'emergency mode' in our neighbourhood as one might have expected to happen - you know, like where someone on the street takes charge and checks in on everybody to make sure they're all OK. You really do need to expect to be all on your own, coz the attitude was certainly 'every man for himself' even though that particular neighbourhood was considered the most community-minded in the whole town!

It seems crazy now that we froze each night in the bed we shared until the power came back on - having lived in NZ for 5 1/2 years, we've learned about hot water bottles and what a difference they can make. If we'd just had even one 'hottie', we could have managed to get or make enough hot water to fill it and it would have made all the difference in the world - and certainly would have ensured that at least our 'baby' wouldn't freeze to death. Sooo, at least a few hotties are going into the emergency kit in this household - and maybe some of you might like to put one or two in your kit as well (but don't forget the matches/lighter!).
Old Oct 9th 2008, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Talula does the Hula is an unknown quantity at this point

All interesting ideas...............especially the rose! I think I must add a pack of cards, a multitude of games in one small box....solitare or strip poker!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly was a very sobering programme. I for one will be doing an emergency kit and we will see who will be the ones laughing when it happens. I know at least 2 people who have had an emergency kit for years. I will be going round collecting things cause you never know. I will also be putting stuff in the car in case it hits when we are out. But then I was in the girl guides LOL!!! After seeing how cold people were portrayed, all those jumpers for the recyling will now be going in my kit! I think I may need around 3 great big plastic containers. I for one would like to help out those less fortunate or those stupid enough not to have prepared. It will be like camping all over again LOL!!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Surely the house prices for Wellington water frount property dropped overnight after this was aired?

We have a Tsunami warning siren about 100 yards from our house and there were big signs saying it was going to be tested on a certain day and time...trouble is I didn't hear a thing. The Volcanos and Earthquackes don't worry me, Volcanoes you know its gonna happen and have a chance to get away, Earthquakes well we don't work or live near high rise so threats to ourselves won't be to bad, probably more to the property.
Its the Tsunami that does, you are not gonna know it is coming and you can't out run it.....thats the one that frightens me, chances are your survival kit will get swept away with the water....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.