British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   After three years down south time to move (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/after-three-years-down-south-time-move-523958/)

Lincolnshire Lass Mar 24th 2008 7:25 am

After three years down south time to move

We moved from the UK down to Balclutha almost three years ago and after spending six months crying I slowly started to get the hang of it. We have built our own house as my husband is a builder, and we have been in it for a year which is great.
We have two teenage daughters who both love it in NZ and are really happy in Balclutha.The trouble we feel that we should be looking for somewhere else to live as there really is nothing for the girls to do down here as they get older and we should re-join the 21st century, you know, remind ourselves of restaurants that open in the evenings and join conversations that don't revolve around the price of lamb and pig hunting.
We would love to hear from anyone who lives in a lively place with oportunities for teenage girls and things going on.

happynz Mar 24th 2008 7:29 am

Re: After three years down south time to move

Dunedin, being a university 'city' and all, might have something that stimulates the ol' brain cells.

Lincolnshire Lass Mar 24th 2008 7:34 am

We spend alot of time in Dunedin even do the grocery shopping there my husband says it is like driving 50 miles for a bread loaf. The prices at New world here are unreal. We like Dunedin and have looked at sections there but are now thinking of somewhere warmer.

happynz Mar 24th 2008 7:54 am

Warmer, eh? Christchurch has just had the warmest summer since I've been here. The winters here aren't exactly that much warmer than Dunedin's though. Blenheim or Nelson may fit the bill...or maybe the North Island may offer you what you are seeking.

Good luck.

Lincolnshire Lass Mar 24th 2008 7:59 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6102720)
Warmer, eh? Christchurch has just had the warmest summer since I've been here. The winters here aren't exactly that much warmer than Dunedin's though. Blenheim or Nelson may fit the bill...or maybe the North Island may offer you what you are seeking.

Good luck.

Yep we have mentioned Nelson today and may take a more serious look. We are busy at the moment finishing landscaping the garden so that we can put the house on the market.

BEVS Mar 24th 2008 8:45 pm

Nelson and surrounds is reasonably lively I suppose. You'll certainly have good weather so plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities. The area probably has everything you would want as a family.

southerner Mar 25th 2008 9:19 pm

Nelson might be a bit limited for the girls, although is only a short flight to Welington.

Its a bit of a conundrum sometimes where to live in NZ - as what might be best for the kids (educational and job opportunities) may not suit yourselves.

Many kiwis accept that the kids will move away - and its very hard trying to predict where they will end up, and seldom will it be where you think.

Lincolnshire Lass Mar 25th 2008 9:29 pm

Thank you Southener
I'm sure you are right about us having no control where they will end up but we need to suport them as long as we can we just know at the moment we need to be out of Balclutha for ours and their sakes. Very unhappy at the moment must be the 3 year itch!!

Maz Mar 26th 2008 12:50 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 6102720)
Warmer, eh? Christchurch has just had the warmest summer since I've been here.

Wellington's has been the hottest in a decade. It's still going too! 22C today, it's wonderful! :thumbup:

Originally Posted by Lincolnshire Lass (Post 6110769)
Thank you Southener
I'm sure you are right about us having no control where they will end up but we need to suport them as long as we can we just know at the moment we need to be out of Balclutha for ours and their sakes. Very unhappy at the moment must be the 3 year itch!!

You poor thing, I'm so sorry. It's awful when you're utterly miserable where you are. Are you at the point where you're thinking about striking distance to universities? If so... (mainlanders, please don't pelt me with rotten fruit ;) ) you might want to consider Wellington area for Victoria University. :)

hjmilligan Mar 26th 2008 1:26 am

We have neighbours who moved from Nelson to Christchurch for the kids, as not much happening there.

Nerine Mar 26th 2008 1:26 am

Well we got to that stage with our kids when we lived in Auckland and couldn't see a future for them in New Zealand, it rapidly become one of the main reasons for why we moved to Australia.

It has been a very good move for them and absolutely the best decision for them both socially and educationally. The world has quite literally opened up for them....DS is already getting to grips with Japanese and asking to do a short visit to Japan with the school and DD is saving up to go on a trek to the Himalaya next year :).

There are some excellent universities within striking distance of where we live and a good healthy environment for kids to grow up in with plenty of activities suited to teenagers and young people. Ok so there are some creepy crawlies to contend with but also year round sunshine & plenty of p/t employment to keep them occupied and off the streets.

BEVS Mar 26th 2008 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 6110732)
Nelson might be a bit limited for the girls, although is only a short flight to Welington.

Yes.That did cross my mind for older teenagers, however there do seem to be plenty of young teenagers here that keep themselves amused one way or another.

I can quite see why many of the 16+ look to the university cities as a means to escape small town NZ.

CCGM.IN.NZ Mar 27th 2008 9:20 am

Hi, we moved out east of Auckland (Bucklands Beach) with a 12 and 15 year old. Decided that somewhere with a bit of life might be a good idea for our kids. That was 16 months ago and we all love it here. We are far enough away from the city for it not to cause a problem but close enough (ferry ride away) if we need to get there. My daughter (now 16) has been to the Vector arena in the city to see her fav group. She is in a rock group herself and has played several gigs around Auckland. My son (now 13) is in the local soccer team and enjoys being out in the local reserves on his bike with his mates. They both attend an excellent school. What sort of things do your daughters like to do? We have plenty of beaches and reserves and bush walks here. We are close by to Botany Town Centre and Sylvia Park so plenty of shops, cinemas, cafes. Lloyd Elsmore park offers a free swimming pool and a whole host of outdoor sports. Howick is a lovely village with one main shopping street with plenty of cafes, a couple of bars and some restaurants too, for the grown ups. You can join art classes or a dance class, learn how to play guitar or learn Te Reo Maori, there tons of stuff to do. I'm sure that once our kids have flown the nest then maybe we will look for somewhere more rural but for now we are all more than happy here. Good luck in your quest for someplace new.:D

Lincolnshire Lass Mar 28th 2008 6:29 am

HI CCGM.IN.NZ
Thanks for the reply sounds wonderful. We never really considered the North Island as we thought it would be too busy and to expensive to buy property maybe we should do some more research.

CCGM.IN.NZ Mar 28th 2008 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Lincolnshire Lass (Post 6122239)
HI CCGM.IN.NZ
Thanks for the reply sounds wonderful. We never really considered the North Island as we thought it would be too busy and to expensive to buy property maybe we should do some more research.

From your description of Balclutha (I'm sorry but I dont have the foggiest where that is:huh:) you would find this area busier, more houses, more cars more people. Its not for everyone but it wont hurt to have a look. Please let me know if I can assist further. Carol.