Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 5 years in NZ

After 5 years in NZ

Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Wottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: After 5 years in NZ

Crikey, this is scary stuff. To go to all that trouble only to feel this way must be awful. Most worrying is the bits about gangs, one of the things one would hope to leave behind in Blighty. I understand NZ also has a lot of trouble with drugs, maybe these two things go together.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:14 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest to those of you who are finding this thread disturbing that you need to do some more research and search your soul as to just how much you want to move here. If reading other people's negative experiences is enough to put you off, how committed are you to the move? Search for the positive threads too. Many, many of the threads on here are about how New Zealand is the all-singing, all dancing answer to everyone's dreams. Well, this is the real world too: we still pay bills and have to get up for work in the morning and make difficult decisions.
My personal experience of New Zealand has been far different and pretty positive but I don't intend to hijack this thread and make it sound like NZ is Utopia.
We have plenty of threads on the positive stuff - it brings balance to hear that not everyone has found it be what they were looking for.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by karonious
I would suggest to those of you who are finding this thread disturbing that you need to do some more research and search your soul as to just how much you want to move here. If reading other people's negative experiences is enough to put you off, how committed are you to the move? Search for the positive threads too. Many, many of the threads on here are about how New Zealand is the all-singing, all dancing answer to everyone's dreams. Well, this is the real world too: we still pay bills and have to get up for work in the morning and make difficult decisions.
My personal experience of New Zealand has been far different and pretty positive but I don't intend to hijack this thread and make it sound like NZ is Utopia.
We have plenty of threads on the positive stuff - it brings balance to hear that not everyone has found it be what they were looking for.

I agree with what you are saying...These are my views and my experiences. When I 1st moved here my attitude was very different to what it is now. However NZ was also a very different place too. Things really are going to the dogs here. I met a guy at a ferry terminal the other day...He was 80 years old and has been here since he was 26. He's moving out of NZ next month because of all the changes he hates...Made me think!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: After 5 years in NZ

S**t.......is it that bad??????????????? surely not???
Im in the process of doing my wtr visa and its made me sit in think...
Where abouts in NZ do you live.....??
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:32 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitzandindiana
This thread has really scared me, it has made me wonder if New Zealand will be right for us or not especially the gang part. Is it really this bad in NZ?
Hey, if you are wondering then that is good. Best to come here with your eyes open. Think of a forum like a Court Room, most people posting will be somewhat polarised in their opinions and experiences and many will be getting things off their chest.
You will also find peole everywhere who are of the opinion that their country is going downhill - just ask yourself how many people think that in the UK? NZ is not a paradise isolated from what is happening globally, for me it may well be insulated from the worst of what *could* happen in 20 or 30 years time, and it is great for my kids *now* but there are shortcomings and some of us have to struggle, whilst others fall on their feet. Hence, the views expressed here are not all the same platitudes that you could get from NZIS and those in the emmigration trade.
See Genesis's post (qv) on the positives and the negatives and then have a think about what you would put down for the positives and negatives for your current situation:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516532
If you eally want to set your thoughts out and weigh up what to do on an analytical level I can recommend Tony Buzan and his Mind-mapping. Good for getting any brainstorming organised and your pros/cons sorted out.
See:
Attached Thumbnails After 5 years in NZ-413ycgfthbl__aa240_.jpg  
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:34 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squiddley
S**t.......is it that bad??????????????? surely not???
Im in the process of doing my wtr visa and its made me sit in think...
Where abouts in NZ do you live.....??
from the post seems the OP lives just down the road from me in a very quiet, pleasant part of the Hibiscus Coast - I've called it "Darby-and-Joan-by-the-Sea"......lovelly but a bit like some other seaside resorts, can be deathly boring at various times of the year!
Not aware of too much gang strife hereabouts (from the local rag) but there are increasing levels of (reported) violence about and some of it has reached the posher suburbs - eg the North Shore

Last edited by lardyl; Mar 5th 2008 at 7:36 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Wottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lardyl
from the post seems the OP lives just down the road from me in a very quiet, pleasant part of the Hibiscus Coast - I've called it "Darby-and-Joan-by-the-Sea"......lovelly but a bit like some other seaside resorts, can be deathly boring at various times of the year!
Not aware of too much gang strife hereabouts (from the local rag) but there are increasing levels of (reported) violence about and some of it has reached the posher suburbs - eg the North Shore
Rather than the gangs attitudes, I would be more interested in the Police's attitude towards them. Are they robust or just useless like here in the UK?
I gather that NZ is very PC, is a failure to tackle social issues one of the symptoms?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

squiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of lightsquiddley is a glorious beacon of light
Post Re: After 5 years in NZ

Thanks for that...
As people say ,you get good and bad everywhere..
Fingers crossed ,im off to Palmerstone in a few months and from what i have seen and heard doesn't look or sound to bad
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Please remember my list of highs please....Remember that if you are prepared to work really hard you can have a nice lifestlye
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by squiddley
Thanks for that...
As people say ,you get good and bad everywhere..
Fingers crossed ,im off to Palmerstone in a few months and from what i have seen and heard doesn't look or sound to bad
Palmerston (no e) North? There's a Palmerston just north of Dunedin on the South Island, but that's probably not the one you are referring to.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Lows

We have really stuggled to make friends here....and I think we are not bad people...but we do not want to spend endless days with fellow Brits and this is where we have come unstuck. We cannot make Kiwi friends we have tried and tried but to no avail.

Poms tend to stick together. Kiwis just don't let you in. :curse:

just-accept-it

ps. The race issue can appear needlessly divisive to a newcomer and is a great shame.

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 5th 2008 at 8:09 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

Well we live in South Wales and you can't make friends there either!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:00 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Wottodo
Rather than the gangs attitudes, I would be more interested in the Police's attitude towards them. Are they robust or just useless like here in the UK?
I gather that NZ is very PC, is a failure to tackle social issues one of the symptoms?
mmm.....NZ is not as PC as the UK, just lots of Kiwis (and some others) think it is.......
Police have more of a "practical" approach in many areas than in the UK.
As I have posted before one of my former colleagues likened being in the NZ Police for three years to being in a series of Life On Mars........
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Poms tend to stick together. Kiwis just don't let you in. :curse:

just-accept-it
often true my dear lady, but then you can make friends with other immigrants and there are plenty to choose from
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: After 5 years in NZ

Sorry ......Palmerston North (no e)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.