Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 5 years in NZ

After 5 years in NZ

Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:13 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 5 years in NZ

Originally Posted by Campbells
•Television was invented in Scotland
Being pedantic I have to point out that television was invented by a Scotsman, but he was living in London when he invented it.

He also invented colour tv and video recorders and thermal socks.

What a guy!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:15 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by southerner
Are you really trying to say that there are better opportunities for recreational boating in Scotland compared to NZ? If you are then I want to hear this one, if not, then you are just being argumentative (he says looking around the glasshouse with a small pile pile of pebbles in his hand...)
Ahem :lol

Perhaps you didn’t read the background ?

What I am saying is that there are people in Scotland that have boats and just because the weather in Scotland is not comparable to NZ does not mean you can not have a boat in Scotland.

We also have canals in Scotland

Over & above that, I am a learning from the Kiwis that is that I should be proud of my home country and this Scottish achievement is something the Scots can show to the world and be VERY proud.

In fact Scotland used to have some of the biggest and most famous ship building yards.

So, the next lot of business cards I am printing will be in Tartan and thistles painted all over my car

Yeah right mate
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:22 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
Being pedantic I have to point out that television was invented by a Scotsman, but he was living in London when he invented it.

He also invented colour tv and video recorders and thermal socks.

What a guy!
This is true……….

Later on he also made a lifestyle decision and moved to New Zealand
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jleroux
I have been thinking about the move for the past 4-6 months and have done my home work and also asked questions on this forum. In the end I realize that NZ is a beautiful country but if you didn't do your homework you will be in for a surprise when you start trying to live there.

I moved from a beautiful country (South Africa) to the UK and now know how 'easy' it is to survive on a low to medium income. In NZ like SA it isn't that easy to make ends meet if you have a normal mortgage. If I end up in NZ (it might still happen) I would need to have a small-medium (50% of average mortgage) mortgage with the interest rates being what it is to be able to make ends meet without having a high income.

Hope this makes sense but for now I think I will have to give Scotland another 5 years before making up my mind. Hmmm if Scotland was 5'C warmer I probably wouldn't think twice about staying but global warming is taking to long to get there.
Five years is a long timescale with the world the way it is.
Difficult to predict I know, but as some point I would think migration could be radically different from now.

If Australia goes into recession, as some are forecasting
http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...53-462,00.html
there could be a mass return of Kiwis to NZ reversing the need for large numbers of migrants to fill the gap. Especially if NZ goes into recession too.

New Zealand doesn't have an open-door policy (like Britain) and it would be very easy to change the points system to drastically reduce numbers.

Incidently, I understand that 30 years ago it was Australians moving to NZ for jobs that was the problem here.

It's a funny old world

Kip
Old Mar 10th 2008, 9:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Kippers
Five years is a long timescale with the world the way it is.
Difficult to predict I know, but as some point I would think migration could be radically different from now.

If Australia goes into recession, as some are forecasting
http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...53-462,00.html
there could be a mass return of Kiwis to NZ reversing the need for large numbers of migrants to fill the gap. Especially if NZ goes into recession too.

New Zealand doesn't have an open-door policy (like Britain) and it would be very easy to change the points system to drastically reduce numbers.

Incidently, I understand that 30 years ago it was Australians moving to NZ for jobs that was the problem here.

It's a funny old world

Kip
Yeah,

They set up shop too

Now most Kiwis are working for Aussies

Quite a few of the companies here are Aussie owned and run

Bit of a sore point for NZ
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

The total population of Scotland is projected to fall from 5.11 million in 2000 to 4.93 million in 2025
Your quick link to Scotland’s brain drain is a = prediction for 2025

Really, a feeble basis for an argument

At least Scotland has predictive planning
I don't think a declining population for a country seeking independence is a feeble arguement. It's basis for an economic disaster!! Their predictive planning is to advertise themselves and have a presence at emigration shows, show familiar???!!!

You obviously don’t like me posting the realities regarding New Zealand and come up with this weak crap in defence of the truths that I want to discuss regarding New Zealand’s serious issues.
You obviously didn't get the point of my posts, I was simply pointing out that every arguement you raise, evidencecan be found to the contary. Lies, lies and statistics.

Point 4: Expensive housing
The average house price is GBP – 215 168 equates to NZ $547 000
The average salary stated of GBP 29 k equates to GBP 73 700

Ahem, the average salary in NZ is what - $35 K
In a 20 km radius of where we stay you will not get a decent home for $500 k

and your point is
Actually your figures confuse me here. As you said in the UK av wage=74k and av house=550k. Here in NZ av wage 35k and in the herald the av house=352k. They look pretty similar on diffence. I believe we both live in the same city, the biggest and most expensive in NZ. The same problems exist for the cities of the UK, I earned 25k but unfornately my job needs a city centre. Treble my wage for the morgage and what can i buy????!!! Same here, same sh*t, different view!

In conclusion it would seem like a desperate attempt by yourself to try to prove that the negative issues regarding New Zealand don’t exist

How come if you look at other forums on BE you will see that negative issues are openly discussed.

PS: and you have been here how long ? What is it now three months. Congrats you seem like a Kiwi allready !

As i said earlier I'm not desperate for anything, this country has huge problems, they wind me up, just like the UK did. Utopia does not exist!! But I think the negative threads are necessary and when handled correctly good points raised, look at the hoonies thread. My point to all this is that sometimes it appears you put in evidence to back up your arguement and take it as gospel, there is always a flipside. Not everyone is having a miserable time. As for me, yes only 3 months, it doesn't make me a kiwi, I don't want to be one either. I'm here for my adventure then moving on with my British (English?) stiff upper lip!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 10:50 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by owen
As i said earlier I'm not desperate for anything, this country has huge problems, they wind me up, just like the UK did.
So you agree then that NZ has huge problems

Utopia does not exist!!
Certainly not

Not in NZ or in Scotland

But I think the negative threads are necessary and when handled correctly good points raised, look at the hoonies thread.
Define handled correctly

My point to all this is that sometimes it appears you put in evidence to back up your arguement and take it as gospel, there is always a flipside.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it

Not everyone is having a miserable time.
I have never said otherwise

As for me, yes only 3 months, it doesn't make me a kiwi, I don't want to be one either. I'm here for my adventure then moving on with my British (English?) stiff upper lip!!
Well that explains it
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:39 pm
Banned

sarascot will become famous soon enoughsarascot will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone, I am a proud Scot especially after beating the English this weekend and would like to give my take on NZ v Scot argument.

There is one fact about NZ that will never change. It is geographically isolated and therefore will always be a backwater. I moved there and decided it was too isolated and dull unless you want to just stay in NZ and holiday on the Gold Coast!

Back in Scotland I am a just a couple of hours from lots of different countries and interesting cultures (and I can go out in a boat ).

I would say to people don't move to NZ for the climate or lifestyle unless you want a quiet life and not be bothered by feeling on the edge of the world (in every respect)!

You really don't need to look beyond Europe for climate and lifestyle if thats your thing and you won't be bored silly!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

^First post and fires one off the starboard bow.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sarascot
Hi everyone, I am a proud Scot especially after beating the English this weekend and would like to give my take on NZ v Scot argument.

There is one fact about NZ that will never change. It is geographically isolated and therefore will always be a backwater. I moved there and decided it was too isolated and dull unless you want to just stay in NZ and holiday on the Gold Coast!

Back in Scotland I am a just a couple of hours from lots of different countries and interesting cultures (and I can go out in a boat ).

I would say to people don't move to NZ for the climate or lifestyle unless you want a quiet life and not be bothered by feeling on the edge of the world (in every respect)!

You really don't need to look beyond Europe for climate and lifestyle if thats your thing and you won't be bored silly!
You are assuming that life in Scotland and Europe is destined to continue along it's merry way.

I don't concur with that.

Kip
Old Mar 11th 2008, 12:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Kippers
You are assuming that life in Scotland and Europe is destined to continue along it's merry way.

I don't concur with that.

Kip
you are obviously assuming that NZ will
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Familiar but.....similiar..........

Originally Posted by happynz
^First post and fires one off the starboard bow.
Hmmmmmmm..........agreed but.........not so sure about the first post happynz...........

................bit of a familiar style of writing...............
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:23 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarascot
There is one fact about NZ that will never change. It is geographically isolated and therefore will always be a backwater.
Its been said before and no doubt will be said again, and for good reason. The isolation is the most defining thing about NZ. Many of the features that successful immigrants like most about the place stem from that isolation, and the flipside is that many who don't end up staying give reasons again stemming from the countries isolation.

Just my 4.9 cents worth.

ps. the word "boring" is highly subjective...it is a gross generalisation to try to paint Europe as less boring than NZ, although it is fair to say that some people will find it that way.
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:55 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

you are obviously assuming that NZ will
NZ can only get better ...... the UK can only but fall (if its not already doing)
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:58 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spid

You might 'put' to sea - but would you come back? Especially today with the winds we've been having on the east Fife coast!
Though I see that the surfers are making the most of the waves in Cornwall . I dunno, what with hurricane force winds and earthquakes the UK is becoming more like NZ every day

I hear that the UK government is cutting back on the 4 year "granparent" visas it grants to Kiwis, hum.....not going to do much for the big OE is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.