Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 5 years in NZ

After 5 years in NZ

Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:04 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 5 years in NZ

Originally Posted by happynz
Oh lordy, a Leighton Smith fan...

Yes, please do listen in. It will give you an insight into reactionary 'middle New Zealand' thought processes.
talkback rots your brain. Especially any caller which starts with "Good morning Leighton, long time listener first time caller. I am not a racist but...."

yikes. double yikes.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 2:58 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I've just sat and read this fascinating epic thread. There's some really great comments and points of view on here.

To all those stating they are now in two minds I'd just like to say that we felt the same when we used to read similar threads before coming here. In fact the first thread I ever read on BE was The Negative one. I think I'd decided that if we were really going to do this (up sticks and move as far away as possible) then I wanted to know all the downsides first). And it was all really scary reading!!

I then read through The Positive thread not only to cheer myself up but to try and get a balanced view.

Basically, at the end of the day, the decision to come to NZ was one that always 'felt' right for us; and still does now.

We decided after 2 years we'd have a family meeting and decide how we felt then, but until then we'd give it a good go.

It was exactly 1 year ago since we (me and OH) came for our 6 day whistlestop recce of N and S islands. We've now been living in NZ for just over 9 months and so far we're still enjoying the mend and make do lifestyle. I feel far happier and have more freedom here than I ever felt in the UK. I love growing our own fruit and veg, I love not being bombarded with shopping choices, I love not having to keep up with the Jones's. And we've now got a boat and chickens - two things we'd not have had had we stayed put.

At the end of the day, we just thought if it didn't work out here, well, there are plenty of other places in NZ, each with their own unique 'feel' or 'vibe' and maybe we'd try one or more of them, rather than face the huge upheavel of emigrating again. Afterall, just an hour or two's drive up (or down) the road might be somewhere that suits so much better - you never know.

Yes, I am one of the Forum 'Happy Clappers' and am proud of that!! And I would just like to add that yes, when someone says something negative about NZ they quite often get shot down; as likewise do the Happy Clappers when they dare to say just how much they really are enjoying their new lives here. It's all even stevens at the end of the day.

So, to the OP - well done for having the determination to come and challenge and stretch yourselves with new businesses, and what an amazing couple you must be to adopt two children to boot! Maybe you'll find happiness just down the road. Maybe it'll take another exciting move to another country. Whatever it is thank you for your honest post and good luck for whatever you decide is right for you.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:13 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
I've just sat and read this fascinating epic thread. There's some really great comments and points of view on here.

To all those stating they are now in two minds I'd just like to say that we felt the same when we used to read similar threads before coming here. In fact the first thread I ever read on BE was The Negative one. I think I'd decided that if we were really going to do this (up sticks and move as far away as possible) then I wanted to know all the downsides first). And it was all really scary reading!!

I then read through The Positive thread not only to cheer myself up but to try and get a balanced view.

Basically, at the end of the day, the decision to come to NZ was one that always 'felt' right for us; and still does now.

We decided after 2 years we'd have a family meeting and decide how we felt then, but until then we'd give it a good go.

It was exactly 1 year ago since we (me and OH) came for our 6 day whistlestop recce of N and S islands. We've now been living in NZ for just over 9 months and so far we're still enjoying the mend and make do lifestyle. I feel far happier and have more freedom here than I ever felt in the UK. I love growing our own fruit and veg, I love not being bombarded with shopping choices, I love not having to keep up with the Jones's. And we've now got a boat and chickens - two things we'd not have had had we stayed put.

At the end of the day, we just thought if it didn't work out here, well, there are plenty of other places in NZ, each with their own unique 'feel' or 'vibe' and maybe we'd try one or more of them, rather than face the huge upheavel of emigrating again. Afterall, just an hour or two's drive up (or down) the road might be somewhere that suits so much better - you never know.

Yes, I am one of the Forum 'Happy Clappers' and am proud of that!! And I would just like to add that yes, when someone says something negative about NZ they quite often get shot down; as likewise do the Happy Clappers when they dare to say just how much they really are enjoying their new lives here. It's all even stevens at the end of the day.

So, to the OP - well done for having the determination to come and challenge and stretch yourselves with new businesses, and what an amazing couple you must be to adopt two children to boot! Maybe you'll find happiness just down the road. Maybe it'll take another exciting move to another country. Whatever it is thank you for your honest post and good luck for whatever you decide is right for you.

You sound very balanced, in both your decision and how you are embracing your new life. Good for you. Being prepared is key, and the moral of the story has to be that if someone highlights a negative aspect that you had hitherto not known about, dont panic, just be aware. The worst thing to do is go and assume that it will be anything like what you are used to in the UK, if you start out flexible and open to the challenges and wonders of that new life, you are bound to enjoy it. I have learnt a lot from our time in NZ and wouldnt alter our choice to move there, not for a moment. We were painfully naive and over committed to many things too early on. We are feeling very much that this totally opened our eyes to what we needed to do to make the transition to Canada far smoother. Again, its being flexible, open and embracing the differences for what they are. We arent looking for the glossy brochure ideal lifestyle, we are just looking for home and feeling content. Thus far we have found that, and it seems so have you.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:18 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Avid
If this forum was limited to factual information with the occasional 'testimonial' about how great New Zealand is I'd guess it would dry up and die within a few months.

There's been some strange posts on this thread...people having cold feet about emigrating because they've read something 'negative', the 'happy-clappers' thinking that by pretending everything is great it somehow does justice to this country.

The reality is much more boring, isn't it? New Zealand is just another country and everybodys personal experiences of it will be unique ones, heavily dependent on their attitudes and circumstances.

Right, that's me covered.

Personally speaking I've found most of the Kiwis that I have met to be superficially friendly but under the surface rather petty and shallow (mean-spirited, even). Luckily for me, I'm only looking for superficial friendliness in my life but I can well understand how some people may end up feeling 'friendless' after years of living here. Ex-pat friends don't count, by the way. That's just living in a ghetto (wonderful as the ghetto may be). But the first wave of immigrants in any country tend to stick together, they often don't have much choice, so it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Perhaps it is the grinding poverty or the harshness of the elements that makes the natives the way they are...or perhaps all the nice ones have buggered off overseas. Who knows? Or cares.

What useful generalisations can we all agree on about emigrating here? That it is VERY far away. That you should love the great outdoors before coming here (because the indoors isn't all that great) and that you REALLY shouldn't be a materialistic person as nobody comes here to get rich. Or stay rich...

Apart from that, everything else is subjective. There are actually posters on this forum who are saying that Palmerston North is a nice place to live!! How subjective is that??!! Personally, I've been to Holocaust Memorials that were more upbeat than Palmy North's main square, but each to their own.

By the way, if you are one of those types who are only coming here for the sake of the children you might want to have a good hard think about what moving your children to the other side of the planet will do to them in the long-term. They will get to play outdoors in the dying Summer sunlight like we all did when we were kids but what will the long term cultural effects be? Probably quite good, now I think about it.

These are always good questions to ask: What do you think New Zealand can give you that you can't get in the UK? Is there no way you couldn't improve your life without having to travel to the other side of the planet? Are you 100% sure you couldn't just move to Scotland? It's almost the same as New Zealand but with slightly better television.

There will be a test later.
Nice post,

Can’t agree with the reference to Scotland mate

• Scotland is probably 20 years ahead

• Scotland invented highland dancing

• People that wear tartan have Scottish accents

• Tar Macadam was invented in Scotland

• Television was invented in Scotland

• The Scots have a brilliant sense of humour

• The Scots are very easy to make friends with

• Better curries in Scotland

• Some of the world’s benchmark universities are in Scotland (St Andrews)

• Did I mention Golf?

• Some great bands, Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, John Martyn, Eurhythmics to name a few

• Some serious inventions came from Scotland (mentioned a few)

• There is some serious history in Scotland

• Not everybody in Scotland wants to be a farmer, distiller maybe!

• Scotland has a very good public transport system

• Water that is exported all over the world

• World renowned Comedians

• World renowned engineers

• One of the Best James Bonds

In essence there are far more Kiwis trying to be Scottish than there are Scots that want to be Kiwi
Old Mar 10th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Campbells
Nice post,

Can’t agree with the reference to Scotland mate

• Scotland is probably 20 years ahead

• Scotland invented highland dancing

• People that wear tartan have Scottish accents

• Tar Macadam was invented in Scotland

• Television was invented in Scotland

• The Scots have a brilliant sense of humour

• The Scots are very easy to make friends with

• Better curries in Scotland

• Some of the world’s benchmark universities are in Scotland (St Andrews)

• Did I mention Golf?

• Some great bands, Simple Minds, Deacon Blue, John Martyn, Eurhythmics to name a few

• Some serious inventions came from Scotland (mentioned a few)

• There is some serious history in Scotland

• Not everybody in Scotland wants to be a farmer, distiller maybe!

• Scotland has a very good public transport system

• Water that is exported all over the world

• World renowned Comedians

• World renowned engineers

• One of the Best James Bonds

In essence there are far more Kiwis trying to be Scottish than there are Scots that want to be Kiwi
Its funny the comparisons between Scotland and NZ

The Brain Drain with the best candidates emigrating (usual south)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2001/11/606

The No can do attitude of the workforce

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/...n-a.3858840.jp

The education system failing the next generation

http://news.scotsman.com/youthcrime/...nds.3589834.jp

Expensive housing

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/co...icleid=3854723

Hoonies driving nuisance

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-20317806/

Funny how ya can get evidence to any arguement ya wanna make
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:46 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by owen
Its funny the comparisons between Scotland and NZ

The Brain Drain with the best candidates emigrating (usual south)

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2001/11/606

The No can do attitude of the workforce

http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/...n-a.3858840.jp

The education system failing the next generation

http://news.scotsman.com/youthcrime/...nds.3589834.jp

Expensive housing

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/co...icleid=3854723

Hoonies driving nuisance

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...6908-20317806/

Funny how ya can get evidence to any arguement ya wanna make
Point 1: Brain drain
"Under these latest projections, which reflect recent demographic trends, the population of Scotland is projected to continue declining slowly. The biggest factor influencing the population change is the falling number of births. Migration flows to and from Scotland are projected to balance out in the future."
The figures, compiled by National Statistics, show that:
• The total population of Scotland is projected to fall from 5.11 million in 2000 to 4.93 million in 2025
Your quick link to Scotland’s brain drain is a = prediction for 2025

Really, a feeble basis for an argument

At least Scotland has predictive planning

Point 2: No can do attitude
Refers to public sectors workers NOT the whole of Scotland and it is not titled a no-can-do attitude.

You obviously don’t like me posting the realities regarding New Zealand and come up with this weak crap in defence of the truths that I want to discuss regarding New Zealand’s serious issues.

Point 3: The education system failing
Well that is not happening in the Street I grew up in

Point 4: Expensive housing
The average house price is GBP – 215 168 equates to NZ $547 000
The average salary stated of GBP 29 k equates to GBP 73 700

Ahem, the average salary in NZ is what - $35 K
In a 20 km radius of where we stay you will not get a decent home for $500 k

Plus the houses in Scotland will be double glazed, central heated and most likely made from real full size bricks.

and your point is

Point 5: Hoons problem
The issue here was loud music. The driving standard in Scotland makes New Zealand drivers look like idiots

Plus, if you read the actual article you will see that it resulted in the lout playing loud music having his car crushed as it was not taxed or insured.

PLEASE show me an article where that happened in New Zealand, the lout will be smacked on the wrist and have his name suppressed.

In conclusion it would seem like a desperate attempt by yourself to try to prove that the negative issues regarding New Zealand don’t exist

How come if you look at other forums on BE you will see that negative issues are openly discussed.

That on its own is a red flag surely and you are contributing to that negative factor by displaying the unwillingness to accept that such issues actually exist

PS: and you have been here how long ? What is it now three months. Congrats you seem like a Kiwi allready !

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 10th 2008 at 12:54 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 12:58 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo

LMAO!! is this an admission from someone wielding one of the forums biggest howitzers? (I had the nerve to take part in a discussion about the winterless north and you accused me of calling NZ a hell hole, and then there was the one where you over reacted to my comments about the chauvenism of some NZ males?.....ah heady days!)

Now why someone would want to come half way round the world to be able to keep chickens, put to sea in a boat and grow their own veg beats me! you could've done that in the UK - anywhere from the coast of Scotland to Cornwall. But, hey each to their own live and let live .
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Point 1: Brain drain

How come if you look at other forums on BE you will see that negative issues are openly discussed.

!
this is so true. Weird really.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:34 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine
LMAO!! is this an admission from someone wielding one of the forums biggest howitzers? (I had the nerve to take part in a discussion about the winterless north and you accused me of calling NZ a hell hole, and then there was the one where you over reacted to my comments about the chauvenism of some NZ males?.....ah heady days!)

Now why someone would want to come half way round the world to be able to keep chickens, put to sea in a boat and grow their own veg beats me! you could've done that in the UK - anywhere from the coast of Scotland to Cornwall. But, hey each to their own live and let live .
Put to sea in a boat anywhere from Scotland to Cornwall ... yeah right ... weather permitting!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 3:33 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Put to sea in a boat anywhere from Scotland to Cornwall ... yeah right ... weather permitting!
You might 'put' to sea - but would you come back? Especially today with the winds we've been having on the east Fife coast!

Last edited by spid; Mar 10th 2008 at 3:34 pm. Reason: lord i wish i could type!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
FACT:

All the "fishing villages" have boats and get their fish from the sea

The east coast of Scotland has many such villages and there are still folk that make their living from fishing.

I know that in the north west of Scotland ( including the Hebrides) there are heaps of fishing villages.

Weather, yup it rains a lot and I can't understand it BUT

The houses are dry

Last edited by Campbells; Mar 10th 2008 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 7:59 pm
Banned

An example of Scotland’s boating
Attached Files
File Type: pps
PrevodnicaEn.pps (1.34 MB, 113 views)
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Campbells

We love the Falkirk Wheel,have been on it loads of times. Best trip was at Xmas to see the man himself on Xmas Eve. My 2 boys ( 7 & 5 ) loved it!!
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:05 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

FACT:

All the "fishing villages" have boats and get their fish from the sea

The east coast of Scotland has many such villages and there are still folk that make their living from fishing.

I know that in the north west of Scotland ( including the Hebrides) there are heaps of fishing villages.

Weather, yup it rains a lot and I can't understand it BUT

The houses are dry
Are you really trying to say that there are better opportunities for recreational boating in Scotland compared to NZ? If you are then I want to hear this one, if not, then you are just being argumentative (he says looking around the glasshouse with a small pile pile of pebbles in his hand...)
Old Mar 10th 2008, 8:05 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

An example of Scotland’s boating
Now that is really neat - I've passed by this in the dark and didn't really know what it was - and it takes someone in NZ to tell me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.