Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 5 years, i miss UK

After 5 years, i miss UK

Old May 25th 2010, 10:20 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: After 5 years, i miss UK

Originally Posted by Browner_ View Post
France has a fantastic patchwork of roads, an infinite number of detours you can take on early journey, with loads of variety and interest along the way. NZ doesnt even come in Division 10 compared to that.

And of course you will be working for 48 weeks a year here,and when you want to get away in the New Year you will encounter the rest of NZ and its hoons are on the road holidaying with you. I detest NZ at Xmas /New Year and always stay at home in wellington cos its mostly deserted!
Can I ask why it is you remain in a country that you quite clearly detest. Having had the balls to move out here then surely you have them still to pack up and leave.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Try living in France. It is not easy. My mother is french and has no desire to live there. It is a difficult country to live in. My ex wife and her hubby gave it a try and abandoned it after 18 months. The beauracracy is smothering and I am informed they do not take well to foreigners. There is much racism afoot. J M Penn (ultra right) got well over 10% of the vote a few years back so I was told. Who wants to live with a bunch of overt racists? NZ does have racism like any country but not that kind of popular fiollowing. Excellent place for a hol but to live there? The latter being a bit like NZ for many aye??
Im sure its impossible unless your French is fluent, especially to do a decent job. I have had family there for 20 years so I know it pretty well. But is fantastic country in many ways, and I could live there if it wasnt for the language barrier, no way could I ever do my job in French.

But just because they speak English in NZ , doesnt make it more amenable.
Old May 26th 2010, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pestman View Post
Can I ask why it is you remain in a country that you quite clearly detest. Having had the balls to move out here then surely you have them still to pack up and leave.
You can ask, but I aint gonna tell ya! Put it this way, if I could leave I would, cos NZ aint a great place to live for very long, in my opinion.

In any case, I dont detest NZ, but it sure aint the place that its image leads people to think it is. I wouldnt recommend emigrating here unless you are sure you are escaping something pretty bad, even then you may have better options.

Good old Genesis has found something in Palmie North that is better for him than Northampton, but I aint gonna go and advise any of my British friends to follow suit, nor would they.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:01 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Come on then Browner give us a clue......you speak very poorly of NZ that you dislike.....the French don't speak English so that's a nogo, where would you be happy?
Old May 26th 2010, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_ View Post
Im sure its impossible unless your French is fluent, especially to do a decent job. I have had family there for 20 years so I know it pretty well. But is fantastic country in many ways, and I could live there if it wasnt for the language barrier, no way could I ever do my job in French.

But just because they speak English in NZ , doesnt make it more amenable.
yeap. Its the best country in the world IMO. I'd definitely love to live in France if French was my mother tongue, AND IF I WAS AN EUROPEAN.

or,

(at least) I'd give it a go and try, if I was a native English speaker.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:50 am
Banned

Jim1066 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Try living in France. It is not easy. My mother is french and has no desire to live there. It is a difficult country to live in. My ex wife and her hubby gave it a try and abandoned it after 18 months. The beauracracy is smothering and I am informed they do not take well to foreigners. There is much racism afoot. J M Penn (ultra right) got well over 10% of the vote a few years back so I was told. Who wants to live with a bunch of overt racists? NZ does have racism like any country but not that kind of popular fiollowing. Excellent place for a hol but to live there? The latter being a bit like NZ for many aye??

Quite the most retarded post I've ever read. You don't like racists but you don't like the French (racism?) because your mummy says so. Or is it you don't like the French because 1 in 10 voted for an anti immigration party! You do know that on an average night in the Paris banlieus, 30 cars are torched. In the recent troubles this figure reached a 1000 cars a night. People are fed up, fair play if they want to reduce immigration which causes these problems.
My time in New Zealand, I never met so many racists in all my life! People constantly warning me not to go to settle in the north island as there'll be trouble there soon! Maori this, maori that!
But for somebody who thinks Palmy North is bliss, probably the most dire place I've ever been, then what would should we expect? I've always wondered why people who move to NZ spend so much time trying to justify it on these forums!
I moved back to Norfolk, UK. Bliss, little traffic, the coast, the broads, and Norwich city which is superb! And with the cheaper cost of living, increased wages, I've bought a house in Brittany, France (and I have to say the people there are fabulous, even with my small knowledge of the language).
NZ I'm afraid doesn't compare.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim1066 View Post
Quite the most retarded post I've ever read. You don't like racists but you don't like the French (racism?) because your mummy says so. Or is it you don't like the French because 1 in 10 voted for an anti immigration party! You do know that on an average night in the Paris banlieus, 30 cars are torched. In the recent troubles this figure reached a 1000 cars a night. People are fed up, fair play if they want to reduce immigration which causes these problems.
My time in New Zealand, I never met so many racists in all my life! People constantly warning me not to go to settle in the north island as there'll be trouble there soon! Maori this, maori that!
But for somebody who thinks Palmy North is bliss, probably the most dire place I've ever been, then what would should we expect? I've always wondered why people who move to NZ spend so much time trying to justify it on these forums!
I moved back to Norfolk, UK. Bliss, little traffic, the coast, the broads, and Norwich city which is superb! And with the cheaper cost of living, increased wages, I've bought a house in Brittany, France (and I have to say the people there are fabulous, even with my small knowledge of the language).
NZ I'm afraid doesn't compare.
Oh dear. Salty swab on a wound ouvert?
Calm down and don't take it personally luvvie. By the way who said I don't like the french? Being half french I know a few and they are all lovely. I just would not want to live there. Ever so sorry my post has mortally offened you and you need to have a personal dig. Reckon I am bothered what you think? Yeah right.

Last edited by Genesis; Jul 8th 2010 at 9:01 am.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Interesting comments. A couple of thoughts.....

Is it easier to emigrate at a young age?...I mean 20's/30's. I think I had been in England too long to make home anywhere else. No, I'm not devulging my age.

I think the English must be the worst at running down their own country. It's only when you come away you can really appreciate it for what it is really like and realize what you have left. I wish the British could be as proud of their country like, for example the Americans.

And me? I would go tomorrow. So everyone jumps on that and tells me to go.
Well my husband likes it here. He enjoys sailing, fishing and sitting with a beer admiring the mountain. My teenagers have grown up here and make it quite clear that they have no interest in going back. Possibly that may change,after all most Kiwi teenagers bugger off somewhere else.

When you come here you can think,okay,if it doesn't work out we'll just go back and think of it as an experience. It's not that easy.The expense and upheavel plus the all important work come into play. Also you think that either you are ALL going to like it or not. What happens if YOU can't settle but the rest of the family love it ??

By the way I feel more proud of being English, and of actually being born in London, since being here.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh there are lots of you in the same boat here then missing things about home. I too miss Devon and Cornwall and I often dream of visiting those little towns again. I was only dreaming too of being home the other day and the OH even said are we off to B&Q then and he meant Mitre 10!!. Some days I wonder too if I have done the right thing and then the next day I wake up and it is all good again. However, when we lived in Cornwall, I certainly don't miss those times in high summer trying to get home on that bloomin A38!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 10:53 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure I can answer completely from the point of view of someone who's tried it both ways, but I went to live in America when I was in my thirties. I loved it and my wife hated it and we decided to go back to the UK. The main factor apart from that fact that she was a redhead in Los Angeles (i.e. not sun-proofed) was that we had young children and no support from family and friends.

Now I'm a forty something and I'm trying it again. This time the sun won't defeat me and the kids are grown up. I feel much more like this is a turning point than last time. But who knows? This time it might be ageing parents or a problem getting work that knocks me back.

No one knows what they will miss. I know that when I sat in my air conditioned office in LA as the sun beat down day after day after day, I pinned up calendar pictures of stately homes in Cheshire!

I'm a motorbiking, heavy-rock lover, so go figure...

On the flip side, every day as I sit in a traffic Jam in Greater Manchester I day-dream of the baywatch beach that I used to be able to jog on.

We want what we don't got. (sic)

WP
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:00 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

You get karma for such a thoughtful , insightful post.

I was hearing a UK couple with teenagers say the exact same thing just yesterday.

He does not want to be here anymore & has never really settled. They have been here for 8 years. He would return to the UK .
She is content with her life here.
The teenage boys don't want another move - friends ...girls.

They may consider Oz but age might be a factor.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

We too are thinking perhaps Oz may suit us better. Been there a couple of times, Gold Coast (of course), Sydney and Melbourne. Really liked Melbourne.
Seems to have more life and a buzz over there. Here I feel as though I've retired years before my time. Perhaps we came to the 'wrong' bit. We are too far from the coast and I find it boring here. Been here over 6 years now and although know people here, don't REALLY know anyone.Can't say that I've made the friendships that I would like. Perhaps that could be my fault.
I work as a teacher aide in my local primary school and I enjoy it. However as NZ don't put a lot of money into education, I now only have 2 hours a day as the children that did get funding last year have moved on. I was okay when I worked all day but now have a lot of time on my hands. Yes I can read, housework, gardening but it's all a bit lonely. I take my dog out. Very limited where you can actually excersize dogs here, so end up walking round the village. I rarely see anyone. Yes England may be crowded but perhaps I even miss that. The banter that strikes up anywhere with anyone.
Hey..this is quite theraputic writing all this down instead of it all whirling around my clouded brain. Cheers for listening.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:58 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass View Post
We too are thinking perhaps Oz may suit us better. Been there a couple of times, Gold Coast (of course), Sydney and Melbourne. Really liked Melbourne.
Seems to have more life and a buzz over there. Here I feel as though I've retired years before my time. Perhaps we came to the 'wrong' bit. We are too far from the coast and I find it boring here. Been here over 6 years now and although know people here, don't REALLY know anyone.Can't say that I've made the friendships that I would like. Perhaps that could be my fault.
I work as a teacher aide in my local primary school and I enjoy it. However as NZ don't put a lot of money into education, I now only have 2 hours a day as the children that did get funding last year have moved on. I was okay when I worked all day but now have a lot of time on my hands. Yes I can read, housework, gardening but it's all a bit lonely. I take my dog out. Very limited where you can actually excersize dogs here, so end up walking round the village. I rarely see anyone. Yes England may be crowded but perhaps I even miss that. The banter that strikes up anywhere with anyone.
Hey..this is quite theraputic writing all this down instead of it all whirling around my clouded brain. Cheers for listening.
I know what you mean about feeling like you've retired, it's easy to drift from day to day without feeling like you've accomplished anything worthwhile.

There's lots of parks and open, green spaces around where I live now so a lot of dog walking activity goes on . The town also has a fenced dog agility park which is very popular and in a beautiful location right on the waterside.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

i think you always have to follow your heart! what was good enough 5 years ago may not be what you want now, i agree with you in the sense that i think NZ is fantastic for retiring too
My friend has just returned from here 1st trip to the UK in 8 years of livingh here and has decided to go back x
Old Jul 9th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: After 5 years, i miss UK

I read this post with interest we emigrated to NZ in 2008 after living in cornwall for 5 years in that time the beauty of Cornwall had started to erode, what was lovely unspoilt is not being invaded by big chains etc when we first moved down there was one travel lodege 2 mac d's etc etc now every open space on the edge of town is getting them, this does not help the small quaint local business's which ake the west country. We moved back to the the UK for every reason the op mentioned, the pubs, countryside we have had 6 months of unhappiness, our son has been bullyed at his old school, I have not managedto find work anywhere (I work as an accountant in the public sector) which will get worse, more and more people are moving to the west country to escape overcrowding elsewhere and working from home this is pushing up property prices (good if you own a house not if you don't) the roads are more busy and the towns such as Newquay are becoming areas to avoid. As well as other things we have now moved on the UK is not for us anymore we like the UK and will miss the history etc but it is becoming extremley expensive to live and very overcrowded. We are hopefully heading back to a different part of NZ but long term who knows once I think you have made the omove away I honestly do not think you settle anywhere comfortably forever, life is what you make it and you need to take what it throws at you from time to time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.