Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

After 20 long weeks since our things left the UK they've finally arrived

After 20 long weeks since our things left the UK they've finally arrived

Old Sep 19th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default After 20 long weeks since our things left the UK they've finally arrived

Just another thing that hasn't gone to plan, it's taken nearly 3 weeks since the ship docked in Auckland. Anyway it's here now.

My question is can a simply change the sockets on the Fridge/Freezer and Washing machine to NZ sockets?

For the TV n DVD I was just going to change the plug on one of the UK four ways, is that OK?

I also need some pipes to plumb our washing machine in too, where can I buy these from?
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

shelly1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: After 20 long weeks since our things left the UK they've finally arrived

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Just another thing that hasn't gone to plan, it's taken nearly 3 weeks since the ship docked in Auckland. Anyway it's here now.

My question is can a simply change the sockets on the Fridge/Freezer and Washing machine to NZ sockets?

For the TV n DVD I was just going to change the plug on one of the UK four ways, is that OK?

I also need some pipes to plumb our washing machine in too, where can I buy these from?
we have just used adapters for the electrical things. They advise surge protectors here which is a good idea, and they only cost about $20. Bunnings has been our DIY place, they sell loads of stuff, as do Mitre 10.

BTW take pics for insurance of any broken things. We had lots of stuff damaged, its the only way to proveit to insurance.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 20 long weeks since our things left the UK they've finally arrived

Thanks for the advice.

We've not even started unpacking everything but I have noticed a few dints in the fridge freezer.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

We got our washing machine pipes from Bunnings.
Also just bought NZ adaptors and surge protectors. In fact our washing machine has a moulded plug so we are still using a NZ adaptor 2 years on!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobDon
We got our washing machine pipes from Bunnings.
Also just bought NZ adaptors and surge protectors. In fact our washing machine has a moulded plug so we are still using a NZ adaptor 2 years on!
bad advice (in my professional opinion - I investigate fires for a living).
travel adapters are just that travel adapters - many have only 2 pins and some are rated at 5 amps. they add another level or strain to the poorly designed NZ/Aus plug-socket system. I've had a few cases of these sockets giving up the ghost and other cases, particularly behind appliances like fridges, etc where the whole plug/socket arrangement has come loose resulting in localised overheating and breakdown of the insulation. Be warned. Also if you have 2 pins only then you have no earth, very bad news for large whitegoods, kettles, toasters, etc.
change the plug top for an NZ one - doesn't matter if the original is moulded they are still 3 core cords inside - - or use a good quality UK extension lead/4-way adapter (but remember they don't have the same overload protection that NZ multi-boxes do so you can overload the power circuit with one, check the number of appliances attached) and good quality NZ plug top - if in doubt get an electrician to change it as NZ plug tops are far more fiddly than most UK ones to fit - again, when I was a student I had a summer job making up IEC 3-pin mains leads so I've changed lots of UK plug tops. NZ ones vary from harder to downright impossible to get unstrained.....pay a little extra, avoid the 15 amp ones unless you have a 15 amp socket as they don't fit .

see all of the posts on this subject from ages ago.

BTW, it's illegal to sell appliances in NZ with overseas plug tops and provide a travel adapter - annoying for those of us who want decent tools but there is a reason for it.

surge protectors are a good idea (especially out in the wops) but daisy chanining connections where hight current appliances are involved is a bad idea. use them where they are most needed, eg computers, AV equipment, etc not heaters, tumble dryers, etc
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:31 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

yes you can change plug tops on the big appliances and I would do that if you are happy with the mechanics of it.

As far as the TV goes that's less of a problem as the TV is lower current so any poor contact or high resistance will be less of an issue. A simple swap over of plug tops on the 4 way is fine for that.

We have a NZ plug top on a Belkin 6-way with surge/phone/earial protection on it for the TV, hi-fi, satellite, etc. It's great and was half the price of a far inferior one I bought (on special) from Bond and Bond for my office computer.

"only in NZ" eh?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lardyl
yes you can change plug tops on the big appliances and I would do that if you are happy with the mechanics of it.

As far as the TV goes that's less of a problem as the TV is lower current so any poor contact or high resistance will be less of an issue. A simple swap over of plug tops on the 4 way is fine for that.

We have a NZ plug top on a Belkin 6-way with surge/phone/earial protection on it for the TV, hi-fi, satellite, etc. It's great and was half the price of a far inferior one I bought (on special) from Bond and Bond for my office computer.

"only in NZ" eh?
Lardyl, wasn't suggesting using travel adaptors, but you can buy decent ones, so I would agree with you on that.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 9:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

sorry but I've seen some really crazy installations in NZ and the UK
Originally Posted by shelly1971
Lardyl, wasn't suggesting using travel adaptors, but you can buy decent ones, so I would agree with you on that.
agreed as some of the multiboxes are shocking, not fit for heaters, large appliances, etc
been to one electrical expert's workshop and he had about 30 of them that had failed or were "near misses"
and don't get me started on cheap-o appliances......
I use travel adapters for occasional and low power use - battery chargers, the odd run with a hairdryer but they are different to long term or continuous use and I make sure they are good ones and they have earth pins if the appliance is earthed :-)

Last edited by lardyl; Sep 20th 2011 at 9:19 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

mazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud ofmazandben has much to be proud of

Countdown have NZ plugs for just over $3 each and they are quite decent ones. I also went to the Salvation army and they gave me about a dozen for $5 but then went to a recycle centre to see if I could blag more and was told changing plugs and not being a qualified electrician was a big no no!! I will take my chances....
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by mazandben
Countdown have NZ plugs for just over $3 each and they are quite decent ones. I also went to the Salvation army and they gave me about a dozen for $5 but then went to a recycle centre to see if I could blag more and was told changing plugs and not being a qualified electrician was a big no no!! I will take my chances....
TBH some of the plugs need you to have a degree in origami (or PhD in basket weaving) as they are so hard to sort even with a bit of card to say cut this conductor to 22.35mm +/- 0.12mm with 12.325 mm of shroud ...... (I kid you not).......that's why I'd fit one onto a 4-way UK extension lead rather than 4 kiwi plug tops (if the total load is not over 10 amps - or 2.2kW).

Also you don't have to plug the kiwi ones in and out which results in crunchy socket in the end............in those cases I go against fire safety advice and use multiboards to save wear on the outlet sockets........
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Right then

My washing machine and fridge freezer both have 13 amp fuses the the UK plug, what NZ plug should I use? They seem to be 10 amp or 15 amp but with no visible fuse.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

we just use adaptors, we have never changed a plug.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

Right then

My washing machine and fridge freezer both have 13 amp fuses the the UK plug, what NZ plug should I use? They seem to be 10 amp or 15 amp but with no visible fuse.
use 10 amp plugs. washer may draw 8 to 10 amp. fridge freezer should be 5 amps or so..
don't use a 15amp NZ plug as you'd need a 15 amp socket for it.

Could use a UK 4-way adapter and 10amp plug but don't plug both of these appliances onto the same adapter or same socket or same radial circuit as it will most likely overload the wall socket and pull out your circuit breaker or blow the fuse for that circuit.

I'd advise you not to use a plug adapter for the reasons I outlined above.
But then you could ignore me or get some advice from a sparky.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I swapped them all for 10amp NZ plugs... cost $2.38 in Mitre Mega 10 in Lincoln Road, Henderson
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rick78
I swapped them all for 10amp NZ plugs... cost $2.38 in Mitre Mega 10 in Lincoln Road, Henderson
I've done this, tricky little buggers them NZ sockets. The first one took me ages, got it all wired up and then realised I'd not slid the case and locking thingy down the cord.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.