British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Afro hair products in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/afro-hair-products-nz-314312/)

80s Chick Jul 17th 2005 1:19 am

Afro hair products in NZ

Hi,

Here's one for those in NZ. Probably pissing against the wind here but are there any shops which sell afro hair and beauty products in NZ. We are well catered for here in UK (especially London) and it is somewhat daunting going off to NZ and, since there is not really a significant market for Afro products, we may find it difficult to find these products in NZ.
Here's a list

Dark and Lovely
Sof'n'free
Twist'n'loc
Palmers
AtOne
Nexxus
BarryM
Fashion Fair
Iman

and many more

We are not too certain about the demography so are wondering if there are areas in NZ where there may be a reasonable number of people of African extraction which may warrant the existence of any shops selling these types of product.

Thanks

Phyl

shepslady Jul 17th 2005 2:49 am

Re: Afro hair products in NZ

Originally Posted by 80s Chick
Hi,

Here's one for those in NZ. Probably pissing against the wind here but are there any shops which sell afro hair and beauty products in NZ. We are well catered for here in UK (especially London) and it is somewhat daunting going off to NZ and, since there is not really a significant market for Afro products, we may find it difficult to find these products in NZ.
Here's a list

Dark and Lovely
Sof'n'free
Twist'n'loc
Palmers
AtOne
Nexxus
BarryM
Fashion Fair
Iman

and many more

We are not too certain about the demography so are wondering if there are areas in NZ where there may be a reasonable number of people of African extraction which may warrant the existence of any shops selling these types of product.

Thanks

Phyl

Hi Phyl
To be honest with you I personally dont recall ever seeing any of these products for sale in NZ.:( Of course thats not to say they arent available because Ive never needed them so wouldnt go out of my way to look for them but do admit I was amazed at the number of these products available here in the US so think Id remember it if I saw them in NZ. Will make a few enquiries with family back home for you & let you know what I come up with.:)

sadie33138 Jul 17th 2005 6:54 am

Hi there, I have seen afro products in the Kmart here in Auckland but I can't remember any of the brand names. There are lots of women here with dark very wiry curly hair so I am pretty confident that there are lots of products available. I also remember passing a beauty shop that had advertising on the windows for afro styling and products. Also, I have seen Dark n Lovely products on TradeMe. I'll look around for you too. :)

80s Chick Jul 17th 2005 12:14 pm

Wow you people are top! I wasn't even sure about starting this thread because I didn't think I'd get a single response, but Ali urged me post anyway. If you don't use something you're not usually aware of it. Thanks for all your help and replies, I now feel confident that I won't have to fill a container with hair products for myself and Georgina I can just take a few things to get us started. Thanks Ladies.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/Phyl67/mex.gif

shepslady Jul 17th 2005 3:36 pm

Wow you people are top! I wasn't even sure about starting this thread because I didn't think I'd get a single response, but Ali urged me post anyway. If you don't use something you're not usually aware of it. Thanks for all your help and replies, I now feel confident that I won't have to fill a container with hair products for myself and Georgina I can just take a few things to get us started. Thanks Ladies.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a379/Phyl67/mex.gif

Your right Phyl if you dont use something yourself its easy for them to go unnoticed. With all the Pacific Island people & some Maoris with the curly, wiry hair these products probably are available so that has to be good news for you & your daughter:)
Anyways Ive got my big Sister on the case, she is going to start checking it out for you when she goes to the mall next.

sadie33138 Jul 18th 2005 12:06 am

I found one website for you and another under construction. Try looking at:
http:umojahair.co.nz and
http://www.amakabeauty.co.nz
The first one has a couple of the brands you asked about. You might want to check the prices against what you are used to paying. A lot of the shampoos, conditioners, makeup, lip balm, etc. are really very expensive here compared to what I was paying in the US. Also, I like & have used for years, stick sheer clear non staining deodorant which I haven't found here,almost everything is a roll on. Almost all of the toothpastes are mint, yuk. Also I was used to being able to pick up premixed douche in the states, extremely hard to find here, Lol, may be too much information but you get the picture. I still haven't found isoprofol (sp?) alcohol. Did find hydrogen peroxide-teeny tiny little bottle for $3.59--used to paying 59cents for 8 ounces in the states. If the UK is like the US you are used to walking into almost any store, pharmacy or grocery store & finding lots of these products. Another item extremely expensive here are vitamins so if you take them and supplements you might want to stock up before you come. You can get a good idea of prices here by checking out the online shopping service that Foodtown also a couple of the local pharmacys/chemists have websites with prices, you can use the NZ google to find them.
Shopping here is a never ending adventure. :D

80s Chick Jul 18th 2005 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by sadie33138
I found one website for you and another under construction. Try looking at:
http:umojahair.co.nz and
http://www.amakabeauty.co.nz
The first one has a couple of the brands you asked about. You might want to check the prices against what you are used to paying. A lot of the shampoos, conditioners, makeup, lip balm, etc. are really very expensive here compared to what I was paying in the US. Also, I like & have used for years, stick sheer clear non staining deodorant which I haven't found here,almost everything is a roll on. Almost all of the toothpastes are mint, yuk. Also I was used to being able to pick up premixed douche in the states, extremely hard to find here, Lol, may be too much information but you get the picture. I still haven't found isoprofol (sp?) alcohol. Did find hydrogen peroxide-teeny tiny little bottle for $3.59--used to paying 59cents for 8 ounces in the states. If the UK is like the US you are used to walking into almost any store, pharmacy or grocery store & finding lots of these products. Another item extremely expensive here are vitamins so if you take them and supplements you might want to stock up before you come. You can get a good idea of prices here by checking out the online shopping service that Foodtown also a couple of the local pharmacys/chemists have websites with prices, you can use the NZ google to find them.
Shopping here is a never ending adventure. :D

Sadie, you are an angel and a superstar of the highest order! Thank you thank you thank you :cool: I've sent you a bucketload of karma. Thank you very much also Cindy, tell your sister she can call off the search. I'm so relieved that one way or another I'll be able to get hold of the products that I'm used to. The prices are a bit shocking though :scared: , but I suppose there just isn't the demand. In NZ It's £12 for a relaxer kit, whereas it's £4 over here. Mind you, about 20 years ago it would have cost £7 or £8 for a relaxer kit here, they've gone down in price. I assume that this is because retailers order them in higher quantities because there's more of a demand (or maybe importing charges have changed I don't know). Still I only use a relaxer twice a year so it's no big deal to me, I may bring a fair few with me. Ali uses isopropyl alcohol for cleaning cassette tape heads (he used to run a recording studio) and would buy it from a chemist (is that what you call a pharmacy?) As for most other stuff I think I'll be able to adapt, by all accounts I'll have to get used to a lighter purse. Ah well. :rolleyes:

Thanks again

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...7/pinkjump.gif

shepslady Jul 18th 2005 1:31 pm

Sadie, you are an angel and a superstar of the highest order! Thank you thank you thank you :cool: I've sent you a bucketload of karma. Thank you very much also Cindy, tell your sister she can call off the search. I'm so relieved that one way or another I'll be able to get hold of the products that I'm used to. The prices are a bit shocking though :scared: , but I suppose there just isn't the demand. In NZ It's £12 for a relaxer kit, whereas it's £4 over here. Mind you, about 20 years ago it would have cost £7 or £8 for a relaxer kit here, they've gone down in price. I assume that this is because retailers order them in higher quantities because there's more of a demand (or maybe importing charges have changed I don't know). Still I only use a relaxer twice a year so it's no big deal to me, I may bring a fair few with me. Ali uses isopropyl alcohol for cleaning cassette tape heads (he used to run a recording studio) and would buy it from a chemist (is that what you call a pharmacy?) As for most other stuff I think I'll be able to adapt, by all accounts I'll have to get used to a lighter purse. Ah well. :rolleyes:

Thanks again

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...7/pinkjump.gif

Thats cool Phyl
I did hear back from my sister & she said yes they are available but demand is not high so may have to shop around a little.
Wow cant believe they are that high though I assume your talking $12 in NZ & not pounds though. Hair products & cosmemtics are all high in NZ as I have learnt over here. Almost hit the floor in shock here when I found I could purchase the same eye makeup for $3 that I had been paying $17 for in NZ. Guess one just has to adapt to the changes huh but must admit I do enjoy being on better side of the price thing now:D Re the alcohol its dirt cheap over here around 50 c a bottle but I honestly didnt know anyone in NZ who used it so I guess the demand isnt great over there either.:eek:

80s Chick Jul 18th 2005 1:38 pm

[QUOTE=shepslady]Thats cool Phyl
I did hear back from my sister & she said yes they are available but demand is not high so may have to shop around a little.
Wow cant believe they are that high though I assume your talking $12 in NZ & not pounds though. [QUOTE]

Actually Cindy I did mean pounds, I did a conversion from dollars and it worked out to about £12, so that's 3 times what I pay here. Can't say I was entirely surprised due to the anticipated low demand. Please thank your sister on my behalf for her detective work. :)

Phyl

shepslady Jul 18th 2005 1:54 pm

[QUOTE=80s Chick
Actually Cindy I did mean pounds, I did a conversion from dollars and it worked out to about £12, so that's 3 times what I pay here. Can't say I was entirely surprised due to the anticipated low demand. Please thank your sister on my behalf for her detective work. :)

Phyl[/QUOTE]

OMG Phyl that means you will be looking at something like $31 NZ:eek:

80s Chick Jul 18th 2005 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by shepslady
OMG Phyl that means you will be looking at something like $31 NZ:eek:

Yep! Thats about right $29.99 nzd

Pompey_Paul Jul 18th 2005 6:24 pm

Wot about restorer for the folicly challenged........a mate of mine is folicly challenged! :)

Pinkie Pie Jul 18th 2005 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Wot about restorer for the folicly challenged........a mate of mine is folicly challenged! :)

Probably be cheaper to buy him a hat Paul....:D

Pompey_Paul Jul 18th 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
Probably be cheaper to buy him a hat Paul....:D

But i dont like hats.......i mean my mate does not like hats :beer:

Pinkie Pie Jul 18th 2005 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
But i dont like hats.......i mean my mate does not like hats :beer:

PMSL...:D

Paul, having seen the cost of products for hair that is already on our heads, I cannot even begin to imagine the cost for hair restorer!!! :D

What about a nice possum hat...lol...:D

http://www.fromnz.co.nz/images/30BelowsideCP.jpg