Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Affordable places to live in Auckland in 2011

Affordable places to live in Auckland in 2011

Old Jan 12th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

MattPenaflorida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affordable places to live in Auckland in 2011

Hi we're planning on moving to Auckland middle of this year - I saw some posts previously on affordable but nice places to live in Auckland - does anyone have any suggestions - we'll be renting to start with until we get to know the place better so we really need to be in reach of the main shopping areas but far enough out to see some greenery!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by MattPenaflorida; Jan 12th 2011 at 2:31 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 8:37 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affordable places to live in Auckland in 2011

Bit difficult to comment without some idea of your budget or how many bedrooms you want....
Old Jan 12th 2011, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

MattPenaflorida is an unknown quantity at this point

Two bedrooms would be enough I think since it's only the three of us - as for price that's sort of what I'm trying to get a feel of, what's value for money, what's a rip-off and where I would get VFM and a decent enough environment. I'm told that you can pay as much as $500 a week for some places and not get very much for your money so if I wanted to pin myself down I'd say what could I get for $1500 a month? And would I want to live there with a 1 year old baby? Or have I got to be prepared to up my budget?

Cheers

Matt
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:12 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, trouble is so many personal variables, I'd start by looking at www.realestate.co.nz and trademe.co.nz

Where is work going to be? Whether or not you want/have to cross the harbour bridge can be a big factor on where you'll want to live.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:16 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattPenaflorida
Hi we're planning on moving to Auckland middle of this year - I saw some posts previously on affordable but nice places to live in Auckland - does anyone have any suggestions - we'll be renting to start with until we get to know the place better so we really need to be in reach of the main shopping areas but far enough out to see some greenery!

Cheers

Matt
Hi, Welcome to the forum you might find you get more replies / info if you post your question on the main forum rather than 'immigration'...there are quite a few BE members living in & around Auckland who I'm sure will be able to advise you, you could also try using the search facility for specific questions.
Don't know if you've had a look at rental properties on trademe.co.nz or realestate.co.nz but if not they will give you an idea re what you might get for your budget.....recommend you view all prospective rentals in person though
Good luck & happy posting!

See simonsi has beaten me to it with the web sites good on you Simonsi!
B x
Old Jan 13th 2011, 5:40 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

I think you always will find something in your budget and there will always be something you like that isn't in your budget!

Why don't you wait until you're out here and then suggest you "get lost" all over the city and get a feel for different areas - you'll soon know what you like and what you can compromise on. If you want land and space head west, if you want bigger properties go north or south east, if you need to be close to the CBD then stay central...

$300 a week won't get you a large family home in a posh suburb - but it may get you a 2 bed unit in a neighbouring suburb (which if the worry of school zones is not a concern with a 1 year old then is a small compromise). Obviously the further out of the city you travel the more you get for your money/ the closer to the CBD and waterfront the less you get for your money etc.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

pedro0811 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, as mentioned in earlier threads, it would really depend on where you are working and if you need a car. Also, many rentals will lock you in for six months. You will need a bond for normally four weeks of the rent plus one week admin. We chose to live North Shore despite the fact my husband works CBD.

We initially rented a small two bedroom ground floor apartment in Schnapper Rock for 6 weeks before buying in Albany. This cost $300.00 per week plus bills. Like you we wanted good area but far enough out to have greenry and still close to shops.

If you have found places that you have shortlisted, post them and I am sure that the regulars will post some comments as to the area and transport networks.

Just as a guide, when my husband drives to work, his journey can be anything from 25mins to 50mins, but coming from London this is nothing !! Upshot is that the closest beach in 10 minute drive,

Good luck

Last edited by pedro0811; Jan 13th 2011 at 8:26 pm.