British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice on where to go please??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-where-go-please-427398/)

need2no Feb 17th 2007 3:09 pm

Advice on where to go please???

Hi
We are looking into moving to New Zealand and there are a few things we'd like to know first, to help us where we should start off.

We are looking for a sunny and warm climate, so would prefer the North Island I believe, but aren't sure what is available, ie. work, schools, beaches etc. We'd also like to be somewhere peaceful (ish) but close enough to life if we need it, such as shops, cinemas and other leisure activities.

I've checked on the NZ website, but there is so much to look into it's getting very confusing, the more I try and research the more confusing it gets.

OH is a chef, so would be looking at employment in this field and we have a daughter aged 12 years, so need schooling as well.

Can anyone suggest some areas with what we're looking for, or some useful websites to look at?

I'm sure I'm asking the same questions as many others before me, so apologies for that.

Twig Feb 17th 2007 4:50 pm

Re: Advice on where to go please???

Originally Posted by need2no (Post 4415993)
Hi
We are looking into moving to New Zealand and there are a few things we'd like to know first, to help us where we should start off.

We are looking for a sunny and warm climate, so would prefer the North Island I believe, but aren't sure what is available, ie. work, schools, beaches etc. We'd also like to be somewhere peaceful (ish) but close enough to life if we need it, such as shops, cinemas and other leisure activities.

I've checked on the NZ website, but there is so much to look into it's getting very confusing, the more I try and research the more confusing it gets.

OH is a chef, so would be looking at employment in this field and we have a daughter aged 12 years, so need schooling as well.

Can anyone suggest some areas with what we're looking for, or some useful websites to look at?

I'm sure I'm asking the same questions as many others before me, so apologies for that.

I think most people don't really start researching areas properly until they have an idea of where they will be working. And there are just too many great places in NZ for people to start throwing them at you.

If your OH gets a job in e.g. Hawkes Bay, then you could start looking at Hastings, Napier etc. Ideal if you want a warmer sunnier climate (Napier apparently has the highest rate of sunshine hours). However, if your looking at Auckland, I found the book 'where to live in auckland' full of useful info re schools, area, leisure etc.

Personally, the only research we've been doing is house and land prices. No one can accuse me of not doing of my homework! I'm constant trawling websites getting a 'feel' for the market in NZ and where is good to buy and where isn't. Might be worth looking at property first, if your flexible on the job front.

danny.f Feb 17th 2007 8:11 pm

Agree,there's so many places that fit that description. Within 20 mins of Auckland,Wellington (chef??? Welly has Cafes/Restaurants per capita than New york!! Hint!!), you can find places like that everywhere!! People in the South I will argue the weather is ok there too!!
Good luck!

need2no Feb 18th 2007 8:22 am

Many thanks for those replies.

Can anyone recommend any job agencies to telephone re work? Newspapers or journals also would be useful. I've found the New Zealand Herald already.

I'm not even sure that I've filled in the "dots" to apply for the expression of interest, I'm not sure that MOH qualifications (City & Guilds) are recognised in NZ? If I have filled the online form out correctly it looks like we have 115 points.

Is there a place I can go on this forum, or anywhere that will guide us through the EOI process first, stage by stage. I do find the Gov website pretty confusing.

P2L Feb 18th 2007 10:36 am

Originally Posted by need2no (Post 4417955)
Many thanks for those replies.

Can anyone recommend any job agencies to telephone re work? Newspapers or journals also would be useful. I've found the New Zealand Herald already.

I'm not even sure that I've filled in the "dots" to apply for the expression of interest, I'm not sure that MOH qualifications (City & Guilds) are recognised in NZ? If I have filled the online form out correctly it looks like we have 115 points.

Is there a place I can go on this forum, or anywhere that will guide us through the EOI process first, stage by stage. I do find the Gov website pretty confusing.

If you start filling in the EOI, you can keep going back to it until you're happy to submit it, so if there's bits you're stuck on, post on here for help :thumbup:

Worth sorting before you complete your EOI is make sure you all have full birth certificates, 3 years on your passports and any qualifications you are claiming points for have been assessed by NZQA

http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/for-international/index.html

need2no Feb 18th 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks Kev & Sarah for that link which I've looked at. So, for City & Guilds catering qualifications (706/1, 706/2 and 706/3) we need to submit an application form for each qualification plus the 75 d fee for each?

I'm presuming that we're safe in that those qualifications will be recognised. Have other chef's on here had a problem with C&G for the purposes of NZ?

Do all the Food Hygiene Certificates etc. also need to be submitted?

Forgot to ask before, is there a step by step printed process I can get a copy of which basically says

Step 1 - do this
Step 2 - do that
Step 3 - do this as well, etc. etc.?

P2L Feb 18th 2007 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by need2no (Post 4418557)
Thanks Kev & Sarah for that link which I've looked at. So, for City & Guilds catering qualifications (706/1, 706/2 and 706/3) we need to submit an application form for each qualification plus the 75 d fee for each?

I'm presuming that we're safe in that those qualifications will be recognised. Have other chef's on here had a problem with C&G for the purposes of NZ?

Do all the Food Hygiene Certificates etc. also need to be submitted?

Forgot to ask before, is there a step by step printed process I can get a copy of which basically says

Step 1 - do this
Step 2 - do that
Step 3 - do this as well, etc. etc.?

Try this page. Lots of links from here
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ionofinterest/