Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice in Whangarei and suburbs

Advice in Whangarei and suburbs

Old Oct 27th 2007, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

McGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really nice
Default Advice in Whangarei and suburbs

Hi, can anyone advise on areas to live in or up to 30 mins from Whangarei? We'd like to purchase a 3-4 bed house with some land (enough for vegs and kids), schools and local amenities are important, but also the feeling of not being overlooked.
I've been on a few realtor websites but without an informed knowledge of the area everything looks fab. We'd have about $350k, poss more to spend. This is of course dependent on OH getting job offer there.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice in Whangarei and suburbs

Originally Posted by McGowans
Hi, can anyone advise on areas to live in or up to 30 mins from Whangarei? We'd like to purchase a 3-4 bed house with some land (enough for vegs and kids), schools and local amenities are important, but also the feeling of not being overlooked.
I've been on a few realtor websites but without an informed knowledge of the area everything looks fab. We'd have about $350k, poss more to spend. This is of course dependent on OH getting job offer there.
Hi,

$350k won't get you much in this direction, sorry. We live in One Tree Point which is about 25 mins from Whangarei, beautiful beach/harbour location, houses are close together (like a new estate in the UK) so no land with them and you are looking at about $500 for a 3/4 bed on a 600 sqm section. You should be able to get a do up at either Ruakaka, Waipu or Parua Bay if you want coastal...but when i say do up I mean do up and you need planning permission to make changes inside the house as well as outside over here.

If you want countryside then Maungakaramea, Maungatapere, Portland are nice areas.

If you have been looking at particular areas feel free to email and ask me about them.

Debbie
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

McGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really nice

Thanks Debbie, when I've looked on trademe and open2view there appear to be affordable properties. Does this mean they are likely to be in undesirable areas? We were hoping to be mortgage free hence the amount available, but may need to look at a mortgage now.
Emma
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Hi Debbie, it's the RealEstate website not open2view. What's Onerahi like, fab properties on Bayleys, getting quite carried away. Think we need to book that reccie trip to avoid disappoint later!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice

Hi Emma,
My mate lives in Onerahi, and I can say its a nice place to live as there are some nice people live there too. There is a few expats live there too, a few geordies too. And there is a real estate agent there from your area I think, look for national real estates, and there is an indipendant estate agent in Onerahi too.
You should be able to get a house for your sort of price there. Good hunting and good luck.

Best Regards
Stan
Old Oct 29th 2007, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by McGowans
Hi Debbie, it's the RealEstate website not open2view. What's Onerahi like, fab properties on Bayleys, getting quite carried away. Think we need to book that reccie trip to avoid disappoint later!
Hi,

Onerahi is OK, not great but OK...as in some parts of it can be a bit rowdy, predominantly Maori. A few expats live there we have some friends there as well but it is down to viewing the location to see the good and the bad...don't make a decision before you visit the area both day and night!!
Old Oct 30th 2007, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all, as mentioned we've to get the job first and then we can make some real plans.